Get latest Flash for Firefox in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch the Berry College eagle cams but they have switched the provider to livestream.
It runs for about 12 seconds then just buffers endlessly.
It requires a newer version of flash that is no longer available for Firefox running on Linux. The solution..

Download and install Google Chrome and run it once.

https://www.google.com/chrome/

Then in terminal paste this entirely and give your password. Answer Y when prompted.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

You will now have the latest flash in Linux Firefox. 16.0.0.291 it was stuck at the last supported release 11.2.202.438

Thanks for the tip. Good to see someone else running Linux.

I just upgraded to Mint 17.1 so I have the latest flash player in both Chrome and Firefox.

I am running Mint 17.1 also. I think if you check your Firefox it will have flash 11 in it. And in Chrome flash 16
Seeing as you already have Chrome installed its only a matter of running the terminal command. I ran it on 3 PC's and no issues.

Try this stream if it starts buffering endlessly after 12-15 sec this will fix it.

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/

Edit: I didn't come up with this fix i just pilfered it from the net, tried it out and passing it on.

Last edited:
if you use the correct ubuntu package, it does all that for you without having to install chrome but it only works to update flash in chromium.

Just be careful about random PPAs off the internet, might be spyware or a rootkit.

Adobe is only supporting Flash on version 11 for Linux. Firefox uses the Flash on your Linux system, it doesn't have its own Flash.

Google Chrome and Chromium have Flash built into them, hence version 16 just like Windows.

To avoid using random PPAs and plugins I just open Flash content with Chrome when Firefox is unable to properly display it with Flash 11.

To be frank, I have been using Chrome a lot more lately than Firefox, it is just plain faster. I do use Firefox for Java, though since the opposite is the case; Firefox will run genuine Java, while Chrome will not.

What part of the Linux system uses flash other than the browser? You mean Firefox doesn't use a flash plug in? AFAIK you couldn't watch flash content without.
I scanned the systems after i ran this and had no issues. I wouldn't post it otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Google Chrome and Chromium have Flash built into them, hence version 16 just like Windows.

Chromium does NOT have Flash baked in. Chromium is without non-free software entirely. There is a way to enable the Pepper API and install the same Flash (and PDF reader) that Chrome uses; but it ain't baked in out of the box.

If you have to/ choose to use Flash, especially on any Linux distro, Chrome is hard to beat: it uses an official, baked-in Flash and remains up to date because installing Chrome also installs it's own repository, independent of your Linux distro's repository.

I don't like Chrome and don't use it. I am sure there are more people who prefer Firefox.
Not everyone likes a minimalist browser.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I don't like Chrome and don't use it. I am sure there are more people who prefer Firefox.

With Firefox, a Linux user will have to rely on their Linux distro's packaging team to provide an updated version of Flash (which will not have feature or version parity with Windows or Mac - Adobe has stopped developing a native Flash for Linux; instead opting to provide it though the "Pepper" API which only Chrome uses at present) and we will forever be stuck on version 11.x unless and until the Pepper API is implemented in Firefox or system-wide.

Luckily, the abomination of Flash is dying.

I much prefer Firefox, too; but use Chrome day-to-day because I have found that the sync between Chrome on my Linux boxen, my (lone, thankfully) Windows pile of junk, my Mac and (most importantly) my phone works a lot better than does the Firefox sync function. I need that sync to work quickly and flawlessly; and Firefox, at present, is neither.

I've found little reason to use FireFox. Even on newer versions, I get crashing often when viewing both Google Maps and Bing Maps. Chrome's synchronization is, in my experience, far superior to that of FireFox's. And Chrome syncs my bookmarks across all my machines, iOS devices, Android phone, Chromebook, etc. It's a great multi-platform tool.

If using Linux only, however, FireFox works well I think (though I still experienced crashing).

I am running 16.0.0.291 in Firefox Linux. No more streaming issues that i had with 11.
Screenshot-6.png

Last edited:
Also it should be noted that the command you provided will only work on systems that use apt, which I believe are just Debian and its derivatives (Ubuntu & Mint).

There is nothing minimalist about chrome. it is the most bloated browser out there. Chromium is a bit better but not a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back