2011 Ford F-150 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys got another one for you, this truck I bought brand new in 2011 with the intentions of it not seeing a lot of miles that's why I have my 250, the truck sees mainly highway miles I pull a bass boat to Texas twice a year and that's about all the towing it see's maybe a 28 foot boat every now and then. Truck has 70,000 miles on it and is paid for so I'm just going to keep it, I've been running Oreilly auto parts Dino oil with a motorcraft filter and change it every 5,000. I feel foolish for running cheap oil but I had the intentions of the truck not seeing a lot of miles. What's the best all around oil for this truck? I have a buddy that runs gulf pride syntheic blend and loves it. What's your alls thoughs?

As long as it meets your specs and is diesel oil, I say your good doing what you're doing.with your use, you're not pushing the oil to the extremes

Originally Posted By: bigdom
As long as it meets your specs and is diesel oil, I say your good doing what you're doing.with your use, you're not pushing the oil to the extremes

Diesel oil in a 5.0?

I was thinking Motorcraft 5w20 would do just fine.

Originally Posted By: Fordbossguy
I also though about switching to Mobil 1 afe in a 0w-20 sense I'm on the highway

Since you're mostly highway, M1 0w20 (or 5w20) would do you good for 10k.

If the 28 ft boat is over 6000 lbs and is towed any significant distance, I'd at least run a 5W-30. It's tough to go wrong with any synthetic blend, including Motorcraft, at 5k OCI. Buy what's on sale.

Okay guys got another one for you, this truck I bought brand new in 2011 with the intentions of it not seeing a lot of miles that's why I have my 250, the truck sees mainly highway miles I pull a bass boat to Texas twice a year and that's about all the towing it see's maybe a 28 foot boat every now and then. Truck has 70,000 miles on it and is paid for so I'm just going to keep it, I've been running Oreilly auto parts Dino oil with a motorcraft filter and change it every 5,000. I feel foolish for running cheap oil but I had the intentions of the truck not seeing a lot of miles. What's the best all around oil for this truck? I have a buddy that runs gulf pride syntheic blend and loves it. What's your alls thoughs?

Please don't call it DINO. Just because you still watch Barney.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If the 28 ft boat is over 6000 lbs and is towed any significant distance, I'd at least run a 5W-30. It's tough to go wrong with any synthetic blend, including Motorcraft, at 5k OCI. Buy what's on sale.
I agree.

I also though about switching to Mobil 1 afe in a 0w-20 sense I'm on the highway
Exactly why ?

5w20. It doesnt matter what you tow or where you drive in the United States. 5w20 all the way.

Oreillys seems like it'll do the job, but if you keep your eyes peeled, there are plenty of deals to be had on name brand oils.

WM has everyday low prices if you dont mind shopping there. MC Blend is $18.xx, PYB is $16.xx etc. The list goes on.

Last edited:
I agree with the motor craft oil part, there is nothing wrong with the O'rielly oil i just think its really cheap oil and there could be a better solution.

I agree with the motor craft oil part, there is nothing wrong with the O'rielly oil i just think its really cheap oil and there could be a better solution.

There are better solutions out there, but remember that just because it is a house brand oil doesn't mean it isn't good oil. It meets GF5 and SN specs so its probably better than name brand conventional oils of just 10 years ago. You almost never hear of an engine dying from and oil related failure. Use whatever you feel comfortable using.

If i were you i would use the same brand of oil for both of your trucks so always have the same oil to top off with and you can buy in bulk and save even more money.Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back