I changed my coolant today =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill start by saying that a little more than a year ago, I didn't even know how to change oil by myself. Im happy to say that will help from BITOG and other auto forums I have the confidence to do most maintenance items DIY, such as fluids, filters etc. This process was very easy even for a first timer like me. I put the car on ramps, then cracked the rad cap and pulled the plug and let all the coolant drain which took about 10 minutes before turning from a stream to a drip. I put the plug back in the filled it up with Honda Genuine Type 2 coolant (the blue stuff). It took a little over 1 gallon to fill up. Then I started the car and let it idle for a minute, shut off then rechecked level...it was still full so I put the cap on to the first "click" then started it and let it run until the fans came on twice. This took about 15 minutes of idling (I didnt like that part). While waiting I would take the cap of and top off the rad to the top off the fill neck. Once the cooling fans came on twice, I topped off the rad and the reservoir. Then since the coolant dribbled down the radiator and splashed and got on the paint, I washed the engine bay, then washed the car. All in all I'm happy with myself, I plan on changing the coolant every 3 years. Its so easy and it cost maybe $40 max.
20150122_1012191_zpsuix8a1h4.jpg

20150122_1012081_zpsoiyqctji.jpg

20150122_1011511_zpsqjcg8trk.jpg

20150122_1115571_zps4okax0ei.jpg

Greg, nice job. Hondas are so easy to maintain. You probably found that any required cut-outs or clearance ways were designed-in to any aero trays or splash shields. I've owned some cars before that require you to spend 30 minutes finding every little Christmas Tree clip on a shield to drop it in order to access the petcock.

Any time I perform any piece of maintenance on our cars, I grow to enjoy them more.

It's a great feeling of job satisfaction to maintain the car and save some money by not having to pay a shop.

Your front license plate is cool. Is it legal where you live? Here in the San Francisco Bay Area cops would pull you over all day long and cite you for a missing front plate.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Your front license plate is cool. Is it legal where you live?

I take it that you've never been outside of CA? The majority of states only require a plate on the rear of the car.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Your front license plate is cool. Is it legal where you live?

I take it that you've never been outside of CA? The majority of states only require a plate on the rear of the car.

actually that's incorrect. 31 states require a front plate IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Car looks great! Have you professionally had it detailed or buffed or do you own a DA?

Neither. I just wax it once every 3 months or so, and do a spray wax after each wash. I used Zaino swirl remover once by hand, but that was years ago.

It's a great feeling of job satisfaction to maintain the car and save some money by not having to pay a shop.

Your front license plate is cool. Is it legal where you live? Here in the San Francisco Bay Area cops would pull you over all day long and cite you for a missing front plate.

Yes, it's legal in FL.

I changed coolant in my 11 years old Honda S2000 for the first time a month or 2 ago. I used Peak Global Lifetime concentrate instead of Honda pre-diluted Type-2 coolant.

It was very easy to do including 1 flush with distilled water to rid of original coolant of 11 years old. Looking into the radiator it was shiny without any sign of rust, the coolant drained out was in very condition without debris. I think the factory filled coolant can be in the car for 4-5 more years.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I changed coolant in my 11 years old Honda S2000 for the first time a month or 2 ago. I used Peak Global Lifetime concentrate instead of Honda pre-diluted Type-2 coolant.

It was very easy to do including 1 flush with distilled water to rid of original coolant of 11 years old. Looking into the radiator it was shiny without any sign of rust, the coolant drained out was in very condition without debris. I think the factory filled coolant can be in the car for 4-5 more years.

Why did you use Peak Global? Is that silicate free?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Why did you use Peak Global? Is that silicate free?

Probably price. It is a non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free. It is also dex-cool compatible if you completely flush out the old stuff.

I used Peak Global Lifetime because I could buy concentrate vs Honda pre-diluted Type-2 coolant. I used distilled water to flush the old coolant, and it's very difficult(almost impossible) to rid of all distilled water in the system. If I used pre-diluted coolant I could not get 50-50 ratio. The S2000 coolant capacity is 7.5 quarts includes reservoir, I just used 1 gallon PGL and added distilled water to full, so I have slightly more than 50% antifreeze, probably about 52-53%.

Price wasn't the main factor since I will not change coolant for another 8-10 years, so $10-15 saving over 10 years is not a factor.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is that Honda coolant premixed?

It is, I like it that way. Keeps things simple.

106k on my wife's Civic, changed the coolant yesterday...

Along with the ATF, oil, serpentine belt, and passenger-side motor mount. Besides the creeky sheet metal and rattling...something, it's like a new car!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Wow, very clean Accord.

Did you have to 'burp' the cooling system .

Yes, the whole 15 minutes of idling until the fans kick on 2 times is to burp the system. I also wiggled the rad and squeezed the hose that runs from the rad to the block and that giggled some more bubbles out.

Edit: I had the coolant changed at the dealer last time, and I guess they dont take the time to burp the system, as the level was well below the filler neck. So I was unfortunately running low on coolant for 3 years. Thankfully all looked well in the rad, no sign of rust or contaminants from running low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back