1998 Buick Regal 3.8L - blown head gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Buick Regal, 3.8L automatic, 185K miles, supercharged.

Found coolant all over the engine bay, looks like something blew up in there - I am guessing the infamous plastic intake manifold problem.

The radiator goes empty every day. As it's driving, there is a wall of white smoke following it. I cannot tell if it's coming from the exhaust or from the engine bay. When the hood is open, you can see a lot of white smoke in that area, including coolant on the bottom side of the hood.

Soon after that it overheats and cuts off. Wait 30 mins and fires back up and repeat the cycle.

Exactly how much damage did it sustain? I am not going to fix it but I want to communicate to a potential buyer the extent of the problem. Is the engine still good?

There's an elbow that fails a lot and loses AF, but if you drove it hot for a while all bets are off.

that little elbow is a likely culprit, check behind the alternator and below it, there is a little black plastic elbow that costs about 3 dollars, but is a bit of a pita to change...

Why do you keep driving it then? You're gonna cause more damage than what's already done. It's likely either the intake manifold gasket or that coolant hose elbow.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There's an elbow that fails a lot and loses AF, but if you drove it hot for a while all bets are off.

This. One on my GP was leaking and drained the reservoir. Didn't get to the point of overheating, but did get coolant everywhere.

One is right under the supercharger nose cone:
o6w8bd.jpg

if it turns out to be the problem, autozone carries them for the 3.8 in a package of two. at least they did when i needed one several years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why do you keep driving it then? You're gonna cause more damage than what's already done. It's likely either the intake manifold gasket or that coolant hose elbow.

Just happened today. Caught me on the road.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
One is right under the supercharger nose cone:

this is helpful. I will look for it. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"Overheats and 'cuts off'" = toast
x2.why people continue to drive when overheating is beyond me

It's because they don't have a modern V8 that can protect itself!

Our GM fleet trucks (Fords do this too, or did) will cut 4 cylinders and run on 4 and then reverse them to control the temps. NO DAMAGE! It allows you to limp in with zero coolant...

I found out what the problem was - one of the two hoses directly behind the alternator has a tear in it. Must be from age. Going to temporarily fix it with duct tape until I get to a place where I can replace it.

duct tape will not help at all(your testing us now right?!!!)...if you are not able to replace it right now, see if you could make a nipple out of an appropriate size pipe and get it in there with 2 good hose clamps. fill up appropriately with coolant and stock up on more coolant especially if on sale.

Originally Posted By: pacem

I found out what the problem was - one of the two hoses directly behind the alternator has a tear in it. Must be from age. Going to temporarily fix it with duct tape until I get to a place where I can replace it.

That has to be a heater hose; get them replaced and while they're in there, replace the 2 coolant elbows with aluminum aftermarket pieces, not plastic ones like came from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back