I'm back, but not with my Mitsubishi Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to just scrap the 2003 eclipse I had, too much work to fix it, and it would not have ever been right again due to the damage, KBB was almost the same as the cost to fix it. So I bought an older car that has a bit more power for 2000 bucks. A 1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8 with only 87,800 miles on the clock. I am going to pick it up next week from a seller in Maryland.

One thing I do plan on doing other than swap the intake for a newer one with the Aluminum Crossover (TM) is to install the oil pressure sender that allows for the gauge to actually work, versus just a simple on/off switch, it is fairly straight forward to do.
E4ky1TJ.jpg

EQZEKav.jpg

OtoBXAG.jpg

CAD9Mrd.jpg

Thank you, having to go 3ish hours to get it is a bit of a pain, but it will be worth it due to the condition of the vehicle, the fact that it has had a decent life with two owners, and a maintence history in carfax.

I am planning on running 5W30 conventional (Pennzoil or Mobil Super 5000) in it with either a MC Filter or a Napa Gold.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Nice find! The in dash voltmeter is something one just doesn't see in a car!

The 1989-1996 uses the same gauge cluster, 1997 switched to the one out of a 1996 Taurus. Last model year too. In 1994 ford gave the car a nearly complete interior makeover, only thing shared I think were the seats, turn signal stalk, pedals, and gauge cluster.
(following images found via google image search)
1st is 1989-1993 2nd is 1994-1996 3rd is 1997.
2283410006_large.jpg

1994Thunderbird11.jpg

x-sub003-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Nice. I had a 1994 T-bird SuperCoupe, with the supercharged V6. I loved
that car.

Nice car.

One thing that is nice about the 1996/1997 is that it has more torque than the 1994/1995 4.6L, and it is faster than the 302 due to the 302 having the AOD versus the 4R70W which has lower first and second ratios for quicker take off. 9.2 0-60 (based upon period reviews) versus 7.9 (period review again) for a 1996 4.6L

My 1994 was one of the best American cars I've ever had. Two things that made it great.

1. It had IRS. No axle hop when going over bumps on curves. Most RWD cars did not have IRS.

2. It had the very best driver seat (comfortable) of any car I've ever had, before or since.

Nice find.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
My 1994 was one of the best American cars I've ever had. Two things that made it great.

1. It had IRS. No axle hop when going over bumps on curves. Most RWD cars did not have IRS.

2. It had the very best driver seat (comfortable) of any car I've ever had, before or since.

Nice find.

1: The 1999 cobra uses the same suspension, just modified to fit under the SN95/Fox

2: the LX uses a cushier seat

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
THESE ARE BASICALLY MUSTANGS WITH TRUNKS, RIGHT?
smile.gif

Yes, a 1999 cobra with a trunk.

Not even remotely close.

That third has a npi head 4.6. 200ish hp,2v sohc.
A 99 cobra has a 4v 4.6 and has heads that actually flow air.
Looks nice but personally I like to move when I smash the gas. That car will barely move out of its own way.
And the chassis is the same as the cougar,not a mustang.
You could gain 70hp by going with a pi swap. I've got pi heads and intake ready to ship.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
smile.gif

Not even remotely close.

Looks nice but personally I like to move when I smash the gas. That car will barely move out of its own way.
You could gain 70hp by going with a pi swap. I've got pi heads and intake ready to ship.

I was joking btw, I was saying "1999 Cobra" in the sense of it has the same rear suspension design.

I am probably not going to do a full PI swap, but a PI intake swap will be done if the car hasn't had the aluminum crossover intake installed already.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Nice. I had a 1994 T-bird SuperCoupe, with the supercharged V6. I loved
that car.

Nice car.

One thing that is nice about the 1996/1997 is that it has more torque than the 1994/1995 4.6L, and it is faster than the 302 due to the 302 having the AOD versus the 4R70W which has lower first and second ratios for quicker take off. 9.2 0-60 (based upon period reviews) versus 7.9 (period review again) for a 1996 4.6L

A 4.6 vs 302 isn't even a comparo. The 4.6 sucks. To improve power in any meaningful way costs serious cash. I've been there many times and I'd take a 5.0 over a 4.6 2v every minute of every day.
Much easier and cheaper to mod. Period.
Do a cam swap in a 2v. New cams are 1000 bucks. Then you need adjustable cam gears,have to open up the front timing cover. And don't even get me started on the chains.
The 4.6 2v is a durable engine but is last on my list as far as modding one. A 5.0 is a dream. Cheap parts. Easy access. Much better platform.
And the 4.6 npi and pi engines had 280 crank torque.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
smile.gif

Not even remotely close.

I was joking btw, I was saying "1999 Cobra" in the sense of it has the same rear suspension design.

I am probably not going to do a full PI swap, but a PI intake swap will be done if the car hasn't had the aluminum crossover intake installed already.

Doesn't work. Different port shape.

19 years old with 88k miles is a real find. That works out to 4600 miles per year. And for only $2000. Buy a crate 5.0L Coyote and drop it in there, and you'd have a good musclecar for not a lot of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back