A happy medium...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I saw more than 65-70% of all vehicles on the 2 left lanes, less than 30-35% on the 2 right lanes and sometime the right most lane was empty for several miles while the left lanes were crowded, usually the right lanes are moving faster than left lanes, therefore I was almost always in the faster moving right lanes.

Lane discipline is sorely lacking in the U.S., in general. Around here, some decide that it is a nice low stress drive if they get in the left lane and drive, regardless of whether or not they are passing. In crowded situations it would be best to stay out of the right lane. Again, around here, they decide that they should use the right lane for passing while approaching a full entrance ramp. The end result is a lot of abrupt leftward lane shifting that more or less brings all lanes of traffic in the area to a halt. People (drivers) are morons, incapable of thinking even a few seconds ahead or following an efficient course. This will never get better because technology continues to support the de-evolution of the human brain.

I was driving in a convoy of cars on icy roads the other morning and we were doing fine, 40 on a 40 road where the average speeds are probably around 50. So making good time.

Some moron was in a little car on my tail though wanting to do 50 which wasn't going to happen since their was no place to pass and her little [censored] can Fit has no power anyway to pass. So when we come to a light after a few miles she ends up nearly sliding into my truck because...its icy..go figure.

Driver testing around here is very poor, a larger number of drivers don't learn to adjust to the conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I don't know where you are in OH, or where you were driving, but I have driven across the OH and IN turnpikes during both heavy rain and heavy snow.

What I observed is that the tandem trucks and other tractor trailers slow down very little (resulting in me seeing one flipped and one hanging off an overpass), and when they do, they not only put off a buffeting wind, but also throw substantial spray in the form of snow or water.

Because of the motion as well as the visibility issues that these excessively fast trucks cause, the only way to securely drive under control and in an appropriate manner for the conditions is to go slower than one would ordinarily go. This causes a speed disparity which makes things worse.

There is no magic number of what speed is appropriate for what conditions. I find the car lengths rule set smarter - not that one car length per 10 MPH is reasonable in good conditions, but that or more is smart in bad ones.
The one car length per 10 miles per hours hasn't been taught for decades in defensive driving courses. It's now a three second count. Deteriorating conditions add to the second count. No one could ever judge following distance by the 10 mph method anyway. The "one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three" method for determining following distance is the way to go. Around here, following too close is a major cause of accidents. That and distracted drivers with their cell phone stuck in their ear chatting someone up about some inane nothing.

It doesn't really matter which is taught, both provide some proportionality of greater stopping distance to speed. That's what really matters. It's like saying that you're teaching the ABCs or algebra differently. The reality of the end concept remains. And space is what matters for reaction time and controlled maneuvering.

But I agree that counting is easier.

Virtually no one here has winter tires.

You might get to use them for one week a year. Then they would rot in a 145° shed all summer.

And then we get an ice storm.

The 4 wheel drive drivers often end up rolled over in the ditch. They are better equipped for the conditions than my hatchback with 18" summer tires....but not 70 mph on ice better. All 4 wheels get them moving but they still only steer with 2 and do not have any more brakes than the rest of us.

My favorite was a BMW driver. Rocketed past the rest of us. I thought to myself, "There's a Yankee transplant that kept his winter tires." ...then I went around the next corner. There it is - BMW spun around backwards, right rear corner smashed in on the center divider. Not entirely sure that it was the same car, but there's a pretty good chance that it was.

Not what he was asking for.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Your happy medium isn't the same as everyone else's happy medium.

One of the skills that a good driver has is the ability to recognize that there is a wide range of drivers on the road. A good driver adjusts his/her driving to both traffic flow as well as the road conditions.

The perfect world you're in search of simply doesn't exist. Never has, never will.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Not what he was asking for.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Your happy medium isn't the same as everyone else's happy medium.

One of the skills that a good driver has is the ability to recognize that there is a wide range of drivers on the road. A good driver adjusts his/her driving to both traffic flow as well as the road conditions.

The perfect world you're in search of simply doesn't exist. Never has, never will.

Aw, come on! There's no situation in which a tired platitude won't help. Some folks are maestros in the medium of banality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back