Is PCV Valve the stupidest thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
This is the same argument people use for EGR/DI/FI...Catalytic Converters/DPF/SCR....

You are all right lets all go back to points & simple venturi carbs live will never be easier! 2 stroke diesels as well!!!

Nothing wrong with PCV whether it be through a check valve or simple tube but venting to the atmosphere in your own personal vehicle is just plain rude and bad karma.

If you think your car is that much less offensive to the environment with your emission controls in place, route a hose from your tailpipe into your window, sit in the drivers seat, and run your engine.

If vehicle emissions are evil, wrong, or irresponsible, emissions controls make a car only slightly less so, but still all of the above.

Shaming a person for causing more emissions than yourself is the literal equivalent of shaming a person for leaving a bigger pile of feces after you have both finished squatting where you eat.

Just because your turd to the environment is more polished than mine, does not mean it is therefore free of culpability. After all, a vehicles greatest damage to the environment has already occurred before it even rolls off of the assembly line.

Figure in the additional damages caused by having a scrap rate, crash testing losses, transport, etc., and the pro-rated damage caused by the creation of each single new car is even more grievous than the actual single-car damage values would suggest.

But you keep believing you're doing right by the environment. Somebody told you so, so it must be true.

My quarrel wasn't with emissions mainly but I am glad to have peed in your cherrios I guess...

Tell me how much you like road draft tubes when your vehicle is getting sprayed with oil in traffic or the blow by coming out of semi's stack...ask me how I know. Catch can? Explain that to a 16 yr old these days, or 45 yr old woman...try not to beat your head into the concrete as it would be a maintenance nightmare.

Emission controls when in place and functioning properly make my damage in use of a vehicle as minimal as it can be sans my driving style. Proclaiming that it doesn't matter whether we drive a Prius or a schoolbus as a daily driver is a little asinine which is where I think you are headed in thought.
Frankly it does matter and cars are being manufactured in a lot cleaner ways then they were prior. Does it erase the stain on the environment? No but instead of taking the extreme take the middle ground, better for your health, better for mine, better for everyone's.

The funny part of my feces is I know it stinks but I also know it's not nice make everyone else have to smell it.

Well, Solution time: Move the ventilation hole to somewhere you think it will not suck flying oil if that's what you worry about, and plug the old hole. Must be a place around the cam cover where you can drill a new hole and put the vent in..
smile.gif

But you can't get rid of the need for the engine to breathe so you need a hole.
The smart thing is to let it breathe in the intake so that fumes will burn and if it inhales some air it will be filtered. An "open" vent will need an air filter (and changes) if you would go that route... Don't.
It would be stupid and irresponsible to ventilate these hydrocarbons into the surroundings unburnt.

Originally Posted By: lars11

It would be stupid and irresponsible to ventilate these hydrocarbons into the surroundings unburnt.

Actually, hydrocarbons are not particularly damaging to the environment in general. They are a major contributor to photochemical smog in certain locations. And, of course, in highly concentrated quantities, hydrocarbons are detrimental to life.

Interestingly, it's not safer for the environment to burn hydrocarbons. As this causes it's own set of problems.

It's also interesting to note that massive quantities of hydrocarbons are naturally released into the atmosphere, as hydrocarbons are a building block of the solar system. From natural gas, to frozen methane, animal emissions (this includes the methane from you) many plants produce hydrocarbons, and more.

It's cities like LA, Beijing, Taipei, NYC, and others where smog forms photochemically from hydrocarbon emissions, where hydrocarbons are a true problem.

For example: Jet aircraft occasionally dump massive quantities of kerosene (non methane hydrocarbons) into the atmosphere, when an emergency happens. Ever wonder just what happens to the 220,000 pounds of Jet-A released into the air at low altitudes? Over time, it goes through a complex process of degradation into harmless components.

Hydrocarbon pollution can be said to be regional in nature.

Last edited:
Quote:

My quarrel wasn't with emissions mainly but I am glad to have peed in your cherrios I guess...

Are you attempting to insinuate that you actually caused me distress with your post? You didn't.

Quote:
Tell me how much you like road draft tubes when your vehicle is getting sprayed with oil in traffic or the blow by coming out of semi's stack...ask me how I know.

I can't, because I've honestly never had that happen to me.

Quote:
Catch can? Explain that to a 16 yr old these days, or 45 yr old woman...try not to beat your head into the concrete as it would be a maintenance nightmare.

I can't say much about a 45 year old woman, but the 16 year-olds seem to get it, and vehicles equipped with oil separation tanks that drain back into the valve covers don't seem to suffer from these maintenance nightmares. Neither do any trucks I've seen equipped with the Walker Air Seps.

Quote:
Emission controls when in place and functioning properly make my damage in use of a vehicle as minimal as it can be sans my driving style. Proclaiming that it doesn't matter whether we drive a Prius or a schoolbus as a daily driver is a little asinine which is where I think you are headed in thought.
Frankly it does matter and cars are being manufactured in a lot cleaner ways then they were prior. Does it erase the stain on the environment? No but instead of taking the extreme take the middle ground, better for your health, better for mine, better for everyone's.

The school bus is probably better for the environment, given the unregulated foreign strip mining that goes into the Prius' "friendly" hybrid systems.

The operation of your vehicle may have had its impact minimized,,but please do tell me where and what damage was caused in its construction. Do you even know?

Quote:
The funny part of my feces is I know it stinks but I also know it's not nice make everyone else have to smell it.

Ah yes, the old mythology that a vehicle without emissions controls stinks. Funny, I was just driving a 71 Stingray with open side pipes and breathers, and I can't recall any stink. It's called tuning. Done right, it leaves very little to be cleaned up.

None of my vehicles have cats, egr, or anything, and all passed NY emissions testing, of the most stringent in the nation (except my charger, which is exempt). Funny how that works out.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
This is the same argument people use for EGR/DI/FI...Catalytic Converters/DPF/SCR....

You are all right lets all go back to points & simple venturi carbs live will never be easier! 2 stroke diesels as well!!!

Nothing wrong with PCV whether it be through a check valve or simple tube but venting to the atmosphere in your own personal vehicle is just plain rude and bad karma.

If you think your car is that much less offensive to the environment with your emission controls in place, route a hose from your tailpipe into your window, sit in the drivers seat, and run your engine.

If vehicle emissions are evil, wrong, or irresponsible, emissions controls make a car only slightly less so, but still all of the above.

Shaming a person for causing more emissions than yourself is the literal equivalent of shaming a person for leaving a bigger pile of feces after you have both finished squatting where you eat.

Just because your turd to the environment is more polished than mine, does not mean it is therefore free of culpability. After all, a vehicles greatest damage to the environment has already occurred before it even rolls off of the assembly line.

Figure in the additional damages caused by having a scrap rate, crash testing losses, transport, etc., and the pro-rated damage caused by the creation of each single new car is even more grievous than the actual single-car damage values would suggest.

But you keep believing you're doing right by the environment. Somebody told you so, so it must be true.

Now that was funny,,,lmaorof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back