I know, I know....air filter efficiencies....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched and found sporadic information here and there but not found anything good.

I will be getting a new air filter soon for the Mazda and I'd like to get something with the best filtration efficiency because I live near a rock quarry and concrete plant. TONS of fine dust in the air everywhere. I know that fit and build quality matters first with any air filter but everyone seems to make a quality looking filter for my car.

My choices are as follows:
-Fram
-Wix
-Pentius
-Mahle
-Beck/arnley
-Hastings

The only thing I know about any of these is that Wix guarantees their filter efficiency will meet or exceed OEM filter. Is there anything known out there about these brands and their filter efficiencies?

I did find some info on Hastings. They are claiming 99.98% for the SAE J726 test. I believe this is the coarse dust test so nothing groundbreaking but that is better than the AC Delco from that duramax test.

Last edited:
Tests for generator sets operating in dusty environments showed that treated paper elements worked best.

Changing when the pressure drop increases is important. If you're really worried install a gauge that indicated the delta across the media.

When I switched out the OEM for a Mahle on my 2011 Tacoma, I noticed that I took a hit on performance, which indicates to me that it was filtering very well, even too well.

It was a very well made filter, too. Soft foam gasket. A UOA showed that silicon was well below average.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3516205/TGMO_0w20_6,074m__25,206m_(201#Post3516205

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
When I switched out the OEM for a Mahle on my 2011 Tacoma, I noticed that I took a hit on performance, which indicates to me that it was filtering very well, even too well.

It was a very well made filter, too. Soft foam gasket. A UOA showed that silicon was well below average.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3516205/TGMO_0w20_6,074m__25,206m_(201#Post3516205

Interesting that it looks like your fuel dilution went up just a bit with the Mahle on there, too. Maybe it was choking it out a bit.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Denso. OEM for Toyota. A very well made filter with three layers of material. You can't go wrong. Denso makes top quality products.

Not an option.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Denso. OEM for Toyota. A very well made filter with three layers of material. You can't go wrong. Denso makes top quality products.
I'm surprised to hear that Denso doesn't make an air filter for your vehicle. In that case, I would go with the OEM air filter.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Fram Toughguard air filter would be my #1 choice, #2 being a Pureone airfilter (also oiled media) and #3 being OEM.

Neither are an option.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

Hi Jerry, when you say "I noticed that I took a hit on performance," Do You mean you experienced a higher fuel consumption (with the Mahle air filter when compared to the OEM air filter )?

Amsoil EAA air filters are very good filters. Cellulose media with a synthetic nanofiber media overlay. High flow/low resistance and the best efficiency you can buy.

BTW, they were exiting the air filter market as they cannot compete, so `some` of their filters are hugely discounted right now.

Last edited:
Puro PureOne blue treated paper filter for your requirements and environmental conditions.

Otherwise any quality paper filter. I've had really good UOAs with Fram.

Recently though I bought some really inexpensive paper filters from Rock Auto (~$5) for the Soob. So that's what it gets for the next 4 years. They look just like OEM. We'll see when I do a UOA next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back