Officer Wilson to not be federally charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/21/us/ferguson-darren-wilson-civil-rights-charges/index.html

After thorough investigation by the FBI and then subsequent review by the Holder-directed DOJ, no charges are expected to be brought against Wilson in the Ferguson shooting of Brown. And you've got to believe that the DOJ was directed to find ANY leverage whatsoever to appease the masses of protesters.

Adding this to the Grand Jury decision not to charge him in State violation, it pretty much is an indication that Wilson didn't act incorrectly. Neither Brown's federal or states rights were breached, according to the entities empowered with full investigation.

The sad thing to me is that a man died (Brown) and a man's life/career were ruined (Wilson) all because the suspect attacked the officer over a brief conversation about jay-walking. Had Brown simply complied and got off the street (which was a legal and fair directive) none of this would have happened.

We are a free people, but we are not free to violate the law. Once we become invovled in LE interactions, all parties involved have a right to expect just treatment. The public does NOT have rights over and above the officers. Brown's right to live does not usurp Wilson's right to live.

Break the law and you may get caught.
Get caught and you may pay a price.
The price you pay may be your life, as the officer is not obligated to forego his for yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The sad thing to me is that a man died (Brown) and a man's life/career were ruined (Wilson) all because the suspect attacked the officer over a brief conversation about jay-walking. Had Brown simply complied and got off the street (which was a legal and fair directive) none of this would have happened.

I've not been following it that closely but I thought Brown was being apprehended for the robbery and beating of the convenience store clerk?

"Break the law and you may get caught.
The price you pay may be your life, as the officer is not obligated to forego his for yours."

I like that! Nicely said.

John.

To the best of my understanding, Wilson was not initially aware of Brown's alleged robbery.

Brown apparently robbed the store, and was walking down the middle of the street, when Wilson then approached them in his vehicle.

An argument started reportedly over the jay-walking down the street, and subsequently Brown breached the officer's vehicle and was shot in the hand after punching and striking the officer in the struggle. Brown then exited and walked down the street. Wilson pursued and challenged Brown. Brown then turned and took an attack approach by charging Wilson, and Wilson shot him.

The Grand Jury, and now DOJ have determined that Wilson did not act illegally or in violation of Brown's civil rights. The event became a deadly force situation once Brown attempted to gain control of Wilson's gun in the vehicle.

Wilson followed protocol and UoF doctrine and attempted to affect an arrest.
The event became a deadly force situation once Brown attempted to gain control of Wilson's gun in the vehicle.
It became a circus once Sharpton got involved.

Last edited:
Dnewton - I couldn't agree more, specifically, with your last line. That is exactly why it got blown out of proportion.

If I robbed a convenience store, then later in the day I decided to attack a police officer and go for his gun, I would expect to be shot as well. Seems like it is just common sense.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
... Seems like it is just common sense.

Sadly, only to those who posses it.

Sometimes it's inate, other times it's taught. Unfortunately it seems to be a disappearing trait in our society.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
"Break the law and you may get caught.
The price you pay may be your life, as the officer is not obligated to forego his for yours."

I like that! Nicely said.

John.
Well said. More generally:
"Place me in fear of my life,
the price you pay may be your life,
as I will not forfeit mine for yours."

After thorough investigation by the FBI and then subsequent review by the Holder-directed DOJ, no charges are expected to be brought against Wilson in the Ferguson shooting of Brown. And you've got to believe that the DOJ was directed to find ANY leverage whatsoever to appease the masses of protesters.

Adding this to the Grand Jury decision not to charge him in State violation, it pretty much is an indication that Wilson didn't act incorrectly. Neither Brown's federal or states rights were breached, according to the entities empowered with full investigation.

We are a free people, but we are not free to violate the law. Once we become invovled in LE interactions, all parties involved have a right to expect just treatment. The public does NOT have rights over and above the officers. Brown's right to live does not usurp Wilson's right to live.

Break the law and you may get caught.
The price you pay may be your life, as the officer is not obligated to forego his for yours.

Another way to express that thought is: The suspect's right to live does not usurp the officer's obligation to protect himself and others from the imminent use of deadly physical force (Brown trying to steal Wilson's service weapon).

A man's death and a police officer's trashed reputation are unfortunate results, but it was a justifiable shooting.

Justice department spent millions on this witch hunt. Is anyone from the white house going to the call the justice department stupid . Time for a beer summit

Originally Posted By: mulehead
Justice department spent millions on this witch hunt. Is anyone from the white house going to the call the justice department stupid . Time for a beer summit
Originally Posted By: mulehead

Im in...................

Dnewton,

Thanks for the rundown.

Either way the message is clear - black, white, pink, purple, gray, etc. Don't attack someone else and if you do you may end up loosing your life.

I'm really surprised Holder's crew at the DOJ dropped this so early and didn't use this as a wedge/fund raising/rally cry issue for a few more years.

It's my understanding though the FBI/DOJ is still all over the Ferguson PD looking for something against the Department.

Last edited:
Very well said DNewton3 , but I would add the guy just robbed a store , he was a thug and sadly the officer has and will be dealing with the uneducated that don't see the truth ,God Bless those who serve whether police or military

It became a circus immediately when the local TV news broadcast from the scene false reports that the police officer shot an unarmed teenager with his hands up. TV reports that amounted to shouting "fire" in a crowded theater.

And you've got to believe that the DOJ was directed to find ANY leverage whatsoever to appease the masses of protesters.

... the officer is not obligated to forego his for yours.

The first one is a pretty big accusation.

The second does not necessarily justify the militarized, two officers pulling salary off my tax dollars for a speeding ticket style police-state as is being created in the name of officers' safety. Particularly if gun proliferation and violence issues are minimal and skewed/irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon

It became a circus immediately when the local TV news broadcast from the scene false reports that the police officer shot an unarmed teenager with his hands up. TV reports that amounted to shouting "fire" in a crowded theater.

Yeah, the media love doing that. The only people initially doing all the talking are a mob. Some idiot w/ a microphone & a hand-held shoves it in one of their faces & the 'truth' gets established right quick. I get a real kick out of it when I hear such terms as 'journalistic ethics'... No such thing. Their 'journalistic ethics' only ever amounts to 'don't get caught.' A cop's job, amongst many, is to later give a truthful accounting to competent authority, whoever that may be. He has no agendas, takes no sides, has no 'dog in the fight', per se. He only serves the people. The media serve themselves.

Police need to very quickly get in front of a microphone to at least let the people know a little bit about the truth of an incident.

John.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And you've got to believe that the DOJ was directed to find ANY leverage whatsoever to appease the masses of protesters.

... the officer is not obligated to forego his for yours.

The first one is a pretty big accusation.

The second does not necessarily justify the militarized, two officers pulling salary off my tax dollars for a speeding ticket style police-state as is being created in the name of officers' safety. Particularly if gun proliferation and violence issues are minimal and skewed/irrelevant.

Is this a serious post?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/21/us/ferguson-darren-wilson-civil-rights-charges/index.html

I believe that is probably correct.

Will the Justice Department do anything with respect to the after crimes in the area that have the outward appearance of hate crimes?

Time will tell, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back