Small car sales slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://wardsauto.com/sales-marketing/fal...&YM_MID=827

Well, at least going by Ford's results.

Quote:
In December, Ford Focus and Fiesta sales dropped 7.4% and 20.0%, respectively, according to WardsAuto data. For full-year 2014, the two models’ U.S. deliveries slipped 6.5% and 11.0%.

SUVs were growing before gas prices fell. They’ve been hot globally for quite some time and will continue to be hot,” Hinrichs says at the Automotive News World Congress here. “The small-car segment has been declining for quite some time, and we’ve seen the acceleration of that in the second half of the year because of fuel prices primarily. We will keep an eye on that.”

I bolded what I thought was interesting. I think the reality is (was) that as the economy rebounded SUV sales went up as consumers bought what they wanted. Lower gas prices means more incentive for consumers to buy larger vehicles--but it appears they were doing that before cheap(er) gas, so the trend is not soley due to people basing purchases based upon pump prices.

I'm not surprised gas is cheap, for now. So people buy SUVS, Pick Ups, and bigger cars. Small car sales have been declining for a while, lower gas prices is just the icing on the cake.

Even with cheaper gas I don't find myself wanting to drive my truck anymore than I did before. I like the truck but not that much; and I know its true cost (depreciation, repairs, maintance all cost much more on a per-mile basis).

I still want to replace my commuter with... another cheap high mpg car. Cheap gas just means it hurts less to do the travel I want to do. Not impacting how I go about doing things.

I must not be like other people - I've never had any desire for an SUV. My wife drives the highest-mpg minivan we could find (Mazda5) and I drive a compact car, which will be replaced with another compact car when it wears out.

So when I see statistics like this, I just wonder, "why?"

How small does the SUV category go these days? We talking a Mazda CX5? Because yea people would buy one, it gets almost 40mpgs and can still carry the family.

How many baby seats will they hold? How many is a family anyway? If your 20 something, then yes, a focus is big in your eyes. imho

But they are good cars.

I seem to remember seeing something regarding SUV sales rising as last winter passed as well. Perhaps lots of people thinking that an SUV would fix the problem they had driving in the winter last year.

We only have smallish cars but if we had a kid or two in a car seat I could see wanting to change that quickly.

SUV's is a broad term. Most SUV's are getting better MPG these days. Why buy a small car when a SUV get's close to the same MPG.

I don't like my rogue's 22.8mpg. Noisey , viscous oil smoke blowing CVT - BaahhH!

I may look at the redesigned smart with a turbo 3 and a MT5 now
smile.gif
I like the idea of RWD and rear engine -0 wish it was a bit bigger. I want the sub 1 tonne Fiat 128 and 76 Ford fiesta feeling of my youth back!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm not surprised gas is cheap, for now. So people buy SUVS, Pick Ups, and bigger cars. Small car sales have been declining for a while, lower gas prices is just the icing on the cake.
And "smaller" cars continue to get larger. I saw a new RAV 4 the other day which was as big as my brother's first 4 Runner. The latest Accord is Avalon size.

Last edited:
Like when I go to the rifle range and some youngsters even the gangsta wannabes bring out a 12 ga shot gun sporting only a a pistol grip. I holster my gun step back and watch the shooter fire off the pistol grip shot gun . As always I watch the shooter get popped in the face and sometimes get a bloody nose from the recoiling shot gun. I could have told him what would happen . Except I enjoy the show.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
And "smaller" cars continue to get larger. I saw a new RAV 4 the other day which was as big as my brother's first 4 Runner. The latest Accord is Avalon size.
I have always wondered why each new model gets bigger.

Still want a Mirage or a Spark, here.

Maybe I should go out and buy that F250 with the v8 and 4.30 gears! Gas is almost down to $2 a gallon, it will stay there forever!

I like small cars . And I like that I`m paying even less now for gas. And I like my 14 Corolla. All that being said even now with gas prices being lower than a year ago I would still have bought the Corolla. Plus I`m willing to bet that these prices are only temporary.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Now that gas is under $2, idiots are buying bigger and bigger vehicles.

You missed the article--people were buying SUV's before the drop in gas prices.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I like small cars . And I like that I`m paying even less now for gas. And I like my 14 Corolla. All that being said even now with gas prices being lower than a year ago I would still have bought the Corolla. Plus I`m willing to bet that these prices are only temporary.

I like small cars too. I've never really warmed up to my Camry. Just feels too big for normal everyday driving. Which is weird since I have my truck... but I like small cars. They feel more nimble, and parking becomes something that I absolutely don't have to think about.

I'm keeping my eye open right now for my next car. But I'm afraid the prices haven't quite come down far enough... the best deals might be in another couple months if not until this summer?

Originally Posted By: supton
Quote:
SUVs were growing before gas prices fell

I think that people in general had become accustom/conditioned to $3.00+/gallon gas, and budgets had started to compensate for it.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Now that gas is under $2, idiots are buying bigger and bigger vehicles.

You missed the article--people were buying SUV's before the drop in gas prices.

Yes, but, from the part you quoted in your first post:
Quote:
and we’ve seen the acceleration of that in the second half of the year because of fuel prices primarily.

So there ARE a lot of people who are abandoning small cars for larger cars just because of gas prices.

Originally Posted By: brandini
How small does the SUV category go these days? We talking a Mazda CX5? Because yea people would buy one, it gets almost 40mpgs and can still carry the family.

A friend bough a cx-5 ... she likes it, mostly, but her big complaint... mileage. 40 mpg...? Try 22 , maybe...

On the highway, with no air cond. on, at 50 mph, then maybe you could approach 40 mpg, but even that seems a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back