Camera falls from airplane.. lands in....

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pig pen!
crackmeup2.gif

I think it's funny but a hoax.

What's the probability of a lens heavy camera falling lens-up?

It appears the camera was tumbling and then was slowed by a parachute.

Doesn't add up.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Doesn't add up.
smile.gif

To me it looks like it spun faster and faster until the spin rate and frame rate were really close to the same.

A small/light camera with a strap probably has a terminal velocity low enough to survive the landing. Hitting lens-up was a bonus. I couldn't help thinking that the pig did the exact same thing my daughter's cocker spaniel would have done with it... and looked pretty similar doing it. :)

It's a tiny GoPro helmet camera with a very small lens, so the lens itself isn't heavy at all. The whole camera isn't very heavy either.

This guy tried to take a stab at explaining what happened:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy...o_a_pigpen.html

http://www.cnet.com/news/gopro-falls-from-plane-lands-in-pigpen-gets-snuffled/

Not saying it's not a hoax for sure. Just throwing some info for people to ponder.

I wear a GoPro on my helmet every weekend on every skydive I do. I'm paranoid of it accidentally getting knocked off and have a safety lanyard attached to it in the event that does happen as a sort of last ditch effort to save my $300+ from disappearing. They're pretty tough, you'd be surprised what they hold up to. The standard 3M sticky mounts that come with them are surprisingly strong, too. They hold up just fine to 150mph+ in free fall for hundreds of jumps.

Doesn't add up.
smile.gif

It's a go-pro. Not exactly a lens heavy piece of equipment...

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
From the pig's perspective: "Hmm. Something just fell from the sky. Must be food."

crackmeup2.gif

Hello, I vote HOAX!
1) The whole "spin rate" segment was to cleanly timed AND the earth during said segment didn't change.
2) The landing seemed "too flashy" to my eye. 'Twasn't "shocked" enough.
3) I know for certain that any camera dropped from a plane would've hit MY CAR not farmland. Kira

I also think hoax. The camera landed almost perfectly flat, the lens was in a pefect vertical position. The chances of that, along with landing in a fenced pig pen seem slim. Also , how did the owner or farmer find it. Did it fall right where it could be found? A little time in the pig pen and that thing would have been buried in pig urine mud.

Let's further assume the camera landed back down, lens up, for those who insist on the small probability that is did.

Upon impact, the camera would create an impact crater. Splash up of mud and water goes up in the air and should come back down on the lens and surrounding crater.

It appears there is no mud on the lens until the pig starts slurping the lens.

http://www.impact-structures.com/understanding-the-impact-cratering-process-a-simple-approach/

Goldsmith, W. (1960). Impact: The Theory and Physical Behaviour of Colliding Solids Dover Publications, ISBN 0-486-42004-3

Last edited:
Let's further assume the camera landed back down, lens up, for those who insist on the small probability that is did.

Upon impact, the camera would create an impact crater. Splash up of mud and water goes up in the air and should come back down on the lens and surrounding crater.

It appears there is no mud on the lens until the pig starts slurping the lens.

http://www.impact-structures.com/understanding-the-impact-cratering-process-a-simple-approach/

Goldsmith, W. (1960). Impact: The Theory and Physical Behaviour of Colliding Solids Dover Publications, ISBN 0-486-42004-3

There you go, making a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back