GMC vs Chevrolet, are you really different though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as trucks go, I can't find anyone that suggests there's any REAL difference between a Sierra and a Silverado (not sure about the rest of the lineup) other than GMC likes to pretend it's some amazing elitist brand only for cool people.

Mechanically the same, styling fairly similar, interior definitely pretty much the same. Is there really a difference other than the name? Certainly not a big difference in the price.

GMC's at least on the low spec models offer you more equipment than you can get on a similar low spec Chevy. So if you shop basic trucks you can get a few more options with the price leader GMC than the Silverado.

Other than that just pick which grill you like the most, or dealer. In my area its easy since our local GMC dealer is unbelievably horrible.

Last edited:
I had a co-worker with a GMC Suburban who claimed it was the same as a Chevrolet, but with everything upgraded....lol. Homestly I don't think he had a clue.

You used to get 5 more with GMC.

You know, S10 vs S15
wink.gif

Read of a GMC salesman that claimed the body panels were the same stampings but from "slightly thicker rolls of steel".

If I ever had to, I'd use that line. It's a cousin of "Oldsmobile V8s have more nickel in the block than Chevy."

Badge engineering at its finest. It can be a good thing at times. The best though is when Chevy truck guys bash the GMC truck guys, or vice versa. Never understood that one... because they're the same, but we won't tell them that
smile.gif
I think it was in the late 90's/early 00's that the GMC/Chevy trucks even used the exact same tail and head lamp assemblies.

The GMC version of the Colorado came off the same line. I know this because I saw a Colorado that mistakenly had a GMC grille. It had just come in at the local Chebby dealer when I had mine in for service, but they hadn't put it on the lot.

Reminds me of Ford Rangers and Mazda's B4000 series, same [censored] truck.

FoMoCo is content to let another market segment fall entirely into the hands of Honda, Toyota and Nissan.

Last edited:
I’ve often wondered why GMC didn’t get the axe when Poncho and Oldsmobubble disappeared during GM’s bloodletting.
That the marque remains profitable for the remaining stockholders would be the only legitimate business case.

When shopping for my Sierra, I never really considered buying a Silverado. Don't know why...except for prettier tinwork.
smile.gif

back in the day, my dad described GMC's as a 'Chevrolet with lock washers'.

We all know GM doesn't use lock washers on either one. They fall apart at the same rate.

reminds me of an incident at Wallyworld. I have a new car and the oil filter was so tight I could budge it. So I decide I'll have the first change done at Walmart. They do the change and when I go to pick it up, they comment on my battery being weak. Apparently they took the liberty to do a CCA test on it. I ignored the test as the car starts fine and I am not about to march into the dealer for a battery that works. I was not pleased that they did the test at all. Just a bunch of high school kids in the place and they go and disconnect my battery to run an un-authorized test....whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back