Alfa Romeo 156 Twin Spark 2.0 Oil Consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! First post for me after being so passive for past two years. Hope it is not too long...

I own an Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed. Engine is a Twin Spark 2.0 liter.

Consumes oil at around 1 Quart per 600 Miles.

This is considered normal for the engine. It is referred to as a "loose" engine by Alfisti that burns oil by design. This, is mostly known for the CF3 variant that has different rings. Some folks put CF2 rings and this is supposed to cure consumption completely. This however is time consuming and costly.

This engine is also known for crank failure by neglecting owners that fail to top up in time. You have to check her every week. After losing one engine (previous owner neglect!) I check it daily. The engine now has some 60K Miles on it.

Oil spec by manufacturer is 10w60 fully synth for "decidedly sporty use". Most people around here use Agip. This is what I exclusively let her drink till 6 months ago.

I began topping up 15K Miles ago with 10w40 semi (agip and then liqui moly) and then changed myself to 10w40 and then 5w40 fully synth (again agip and mobil super 3000). I recently switched to Valvoline maxlife 10w40 blend.

Reason was to check if consumption would change as well as thinking 10w60 will be too thick. I don't red line her every day now (and it isn't really possible to do so on a selespeed as it just shifts when close to red line anyhow).

It didn't and now I notice lots of smoke as I rev her past 4,000.

I am thinking - is there a suitable oil that can curb the thirst? I am thinking this is rings stuck and want to use a cleaner/high detergent oil - though there is another possible culprit - a known internal leak at the inlet manifold gasket that I should be checking at the next service (due a cam belt in some 3000 miles.).

Thanks for any help. I can probably provide more info if needed.
smile.gif

Tuval

Would an hdeo help. Like a 15w-40 diesel oil. Forget synthetic at that rate of consumption. Look for a diesel conventional oil.

Thicker oil will help with oil burning when hot,
but it has it's drawbacks with drag.
1 qt in 600 miles is horrid.
Maybe dump the car and get another, or get a used engine to rebuild with proper components.

These engine do consume oil but 1 quart per 600 miles is really on the high end, even for these.

10w60 is just a patch to limit consumption. 10w40 is the recommended grade. I would replace the rings. It's not that much trouble if you are doing the cambelt.

I had a 2001 147 TS. On Martini Racing 10w40 it consumed 1 quart per 3000 miles.

You should replace the PCV valve if the car has one. Sometimes they get stuck open and let oil into the engine air intake.

That in mind, it still will not solve the problem of badly designed piston rings.

Originally Posted By: Alfa_Hadera
Oil spec by manufacturer is 10w60 fully synth for "decidedly sporty use". Most people around here use Agip. This is what I exclusively let her drink till 6 months ago.

I began topping up 15K Miles ago with 10w40 semi (agip and then liqui moly) and then changed myself to 10w40 and then 5w40 fully synth (again agip and mobil super 3000). I recently switched to Valvoline maxlife 10w40 blend.

11bne5e.png

Pop went the big end bearing. Everyone South of Rome should go by the thicker recommendation, but in this case they changed it for all climates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back