the search for. 22 ammo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Chris142
***** wants $33 for 50!

Buyers set the market. The price wouldn't be that high if it didn't sell. Gun and ammo manufacturers/sellers are hoping and praying another democrat gets the white house.

Sure about that? I've watched so called "dealers" walk out of a gun show with all the .22 ammo they walked in with.

^^^ Apparently that means they were asking way too much for the ammo if they didn't sell any at the gun show.

I have lots of 22's I need 22 mag but I don't want to spend 30-38 cents a round for it. Guess if that's going to be the every day price form now on I have no choice
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Apparently that means they were asking way too much for the ammo if they didn't sell any at the gun show.

That seems pretty clear to me.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

That seems pretty clear to me.

Spose?

^^^ Maybe people are finally getting smarter and sick of 22LR gougers.

whoever is look for them... Cabela has them online, ship to home or pick up in store.

$36 for 500 winchester superX

As of 8:25AM CST 1/21/15. I just bought a box.

I picked up around 400 rds yesterday and another 250 last week. Spent maybe $40 between all of it. Not too hard to find any more, but still worth grabbing when you see it.

Chris, you have a nice boss! 22LR is out there you just have to be diligent. I found it in my local Walmart twice in the last 3 months, but it sells out within an hour or two. I also found it at Bass Pro shops in Vegas, and Cabellas near Reno. I have found generally you have to be there in the morning because their stock arrives overnight and is put out but sells very quickly. Usually there is a limit of 3 boxes.

22 is still very, very scarce in my area. One of my local gun stores has it now and then in the 500 pack brick but it's $40. I think they put it out 2-3 bricks at a time. Walmarts here haven't had it in what seems like years. Can't be that people are hoarding, it's not available to buy. The signs are still up today that say NO 22's. So where is it? It should be overflowing off the shelves according to what we're told by the ammo makers. I don't need any but it's quite odd I couldn't find any if I did.

I was told by a Walmart employee to call first thing in the morning and ask for someone in sporting goods. They get shipments overnight and apparently don't know what's coming in until it arrives. If they got .22 ammo in, get there as fast as you can. The employees are aware of this tactic and very helpful.

I think the manufacturer's have a hand in this. You can blame the hoarders all you want, but even if they stopped buying, it'd only add about 10 bricks to the shelf of each store every week.

The stores simply are not getting the ammo. That's the real problem.

I was at WM a few weeks ago in the sporting goods section. Not looking for ammo, but the lady stocking the cabinet asked if I wanted any. They received a case of 50 round boxes of the Remington Thunderbolts. The last ammo I bought was May 2012.. It was when CCR had their "buy 2 boxes of ammo, send us $5 and we'll send you a steel spinning target" rebate.

I have plenty of .22, but I think I messed up my $100 Savage .22 rifle by shooting CB shorts. I need to carry a small flat head screwdriver whenever I shoot it now.
crazy2.gif

About your Savage rifle, if you're open to suggestions: If it was mine I'd get a nylon(or even brass or bronze) .22 cal bore brush & cleaning rod, some Hoppe's #9(or similar solvent), & scrub out the chamber. A couple of times should do it, unless you shot one heckuva lot of those CB shorts. Once done, & chamber clean & dried, you can probably leave the little screwdriver at home.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
I think the manufacturer's have a hand in this. You can blame the hoarders all you want, but even if they stopped buying, it'd only add about 10 bricks to the shelf of each store every week.

The manufacturers are running their plants 24/7. But they are not building new capacity to load rimfires. I wouldn't either, it's expensive to buy the machines to make rimfires, and when the demand drops, they will have a lot of underutilized capital equipment.

Not a good business plan.

But demand is starting to abate. And that means prices are returning to normal. I picked up 1000 rounds of CCI for $80 last week. Not as cheap as it once was, but a reasonable price. My LGS has it in stock. Soon, it will be back everywhere.

It's following exactly the same price/availability cycle that AR-15s have, just with a longer period....

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
About your Savage rifle, if you're open to suggestions: If it was mine I'd get a nylon(or even brass or bronze) .22 cal bore brush & cleaning rod, some Hoppe's #9(or similar solvent), & scrub out the chamber. A couple of times should do it, unless you shot one heckuva lot of those CB shorts. Once done, & chamber clean & dried, you can probably leave the little screwdriver at home.
wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! I shot perhaps 10-15? Not too many IMO.

Most of the local gun / outdoors stores around Northern Ohio are still short / out of 22 ammo. It was last year, in the spring, that I last saw any 22 ammo in bricks. The last last few weeks I was able to actually find Powder for reloading pistol / revolver. Sure hope the 22 ammo starts to show up.

I have only seen it within 40 miles of me once...and it was indicated as online at Wal Mart the next town over. By the time I got there it was out. Have not been able to buy any since the panic buying started after Sandy Hook.

My side of Michigan always has 22's somewhere, Walmart, ***** Sports, Gander Mountain, Gun shops. 22 mag are no where to be found.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan

The manufacturers are running their plants 24/7. But they are not building new capacity to load rimfires. I wouldn't either, it's expensive to buy the machines to make rimfires, and when the demand drops, they will have a lot of underutilized capital equipment.

Not a good business plan.

But demand is starting to abate. And that means prices are returning to normal. I picked up 1000 rounds of CCI for $80 last week. Not as cheap as it once was, but a reasonable price. My LGS has it in stock. Soon, it will be back everywhere.

It's following exactly the same price/availability cycle that AR-15s have, just with a longer period....

Well, if the plants are running 24/7, then where is this ammo going? I can assure you, it's not coming to the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back