what to buy what to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the time has come
I have started looking around for a 4x4 vehicle . For when the weather is bad for camping and maybe a little bit of playing as well. I'm looking to spend around 3000. I originally was entertaining the idea of buying a jeep but a wrangler is not in my price range the Cherokees are all to common beat to [censored] I've found a few grand Cherokees but I'm not sure I want one of them not sure if it would be up to my expectations. Which brings me to this what about a blazer explorer or a truck? Must be 4x4. Is there anything superior about the jeeps 4wd. Vs ford or Chevys? If so what about it is better. I want a very off road capable vehicle. Thanks everyone

The Blazer and Explorer have some small trouble spots. Like the 4X4 control module on the Blazer and the shift motor and module on the Explorer.

The shift motors seem to fail more frequently on Fords that don't use them very often.

None of the above are particularly difficult fixes though.

In that price range, you might also look at Nissan Pathfinders.(There are typically not a lot of 4-Runners in that range that have less than a bajillion miles)

I like the Isuzu Troopers in that price range too.

If you are feeling particularly adventurous and don't need it to be a daily driver? Land Rover Discovery II. At $3000, it's probably going to have some electrical problems but at least the polarity is correct.

I'm bought my extended cab 1990 K1500 for $2k 3 years ago. It had 153k on it....now she's at 193k. Runs well. Hard to get stuck. Very hard. Pulls well. MPG's decent at 14. Easy as heck to work on. Parts are very cheap. Reliable.

Nothing runs longer than a 350. And the TBI's aren't the most powerful, but really simple and bullet proof.

IMG_20140519_120803448_HDR.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I agree, mid 90s Chevy and Ford trucks as the parts are plenty, cheap and available. I think the v8 engines are bulletproof

You're a mechanic, I like the idea of the land rover. Add value!

I assume you don't want a full size extended cab 4x4 pickup to snake through the woods... as you already have a pickup.

I would not want a land Rover . Something American or a older toyota truck they're hard to find though

Montero or Montero Sports can be had for a pretty good price and have a great reputation for off road capability check out the Paris-Dakar winners over the past 20 years.

Definitely look into a 4Runner. The 22RE is a great engine but probably a bit underpowered for one. They have a 3.0L V6 too, great 4x4s.

The Tracker works OK for me, for a dry-ish terrain off roader. I imagine a short wheel base one must be quite good with some decent tires. Its main advantage is that its narrow and light so it can straddle one tire track and still stick to the sides of the trail.
Really though, for $3k it might be more fun just to get an ATV? You don't need to get $1k in tires for it and most come with a front diff lock already and a winch.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
5.0L Explorer is a lot of fun!
+1, search hard for a nice one and you won't be let down.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The Tracker works OK for me, for a dry-ish terrain off roader. I imagine a short wheel base one must be quite good with some decent tires. Its main advantage is that its narrow and light so it can straddle one tire track and still stick to the sides of the trail.
Really though, for $3k it might be more fun just to get an ATV? You don't need to get $1k in tires for it and most come with a front diff lock already and a winch.

If I knew were I could ride I'd be sorely tempted to an ATV.

If I was much of an off-roader I'd be tempted to get a beater and tow to an offroad location. It would bother me too much to take something remotely nice and run through the mud and trees. Throw in the cost of repairs and... Not my cup of tea.

But I like the 350/TBI. Although... wouldn't a 305/TBI work just fine? heck even the 4.3 ought to do ok off road. Just go into low range faster.

$3k. Anything is likely to need some work to make it decent. In the $3k youre begging. Beggars shouldn't be choosers. In other words, don't have a brand loyalty, look for value in that price segment - look for OPPROTUNITY, regardless of make.

There must be fire roads or logging roads nearby that you could even take the Tundra on? I guess you don't want to even get twig scratches on it though, at this point in its life.
We have lots of road concessions nearby that didn't get developed, so they have a road roughed in from 100 years ago and are now trails, or are maintained enough by a farmer to get into his back fields. They are fun for me and the kids to go on for a little adventure and then they fall asleep in the car on the way back(a car trip is the only way I can get them both asleep at the same time...) The odd time we have to turn back with a big mud hole, but most of the time we can find a way through with little risk as my extraction kit is a pair of 10k ratchet straps, a shovel and finally going back for my tractor...

IMG_1147_zpssqelzehl.jpg

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
There must be fire roads or logging roads nearby that you could even take the Tundra on? I guess you don't want to even get twig scratches on it though, at this point in its life.
We have lots of road concessions nearby that didn't get developed, so they have a road roughed in from 100 years ago and are now trails, or are maintained enough by a farmer to get into his back fields. They are fun for me and the kids to go on for a little adventure and then they fall asleep in the car on the way back(a car trip is the only way I can get them both asleep at the same time...) The odd time we have to turn back with a big mud hole, but most of the time we can find a way through with little risk as my extraction kit is a pair of 10k ratchet straps, a shovel and finally going back for my tractor...

IMG_1147_zpssqelzehl.jpg

Yeah, it's way too nice for me to get scratches on--it's the first vehicle I've ever (poorly) waxed.

There is one that I know of, but I'm not exactly clear as to its status--I've seen people drive on it, but am not sure that's actually open land that anyone can drive on. I don't seem to be far enough out in the sticks to have lots of underdeveloped roads. Just lightly used paved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back