Can Mobil 1 EP really go 15,000 mi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of variables to consider in your application and use, but M1 AFE went 15K in my FX4 with TBN to spare. I have M1 EP in it now and plan to run it 20K with a UOA at 15K to see where it stands.

Originally Posted By: JungleJim
I just put in Mobil 1 EP in our RAV4.
Opinions.....Will I be safe going 10,000 miles on this oil?

What type of driving? A cold start and a mile drive 10,000 times? Probably not.

I believe it can, but check the level every once in a while. Also use a high quality filter that will last 15k along with the oil.

It really just depends on the vehicle you own and your driving habits. I'm sure it can, several vehicles call for 10k+ I can't see it being impossible.

Like I said just depends on the vehicle and your driving habit.

According to ExxonMobil, yes, it can go at least 15K miles and they have a written guarantee. Use it with confidence. Even regular Mobil 1 can go at least 10K miles, although I wouldn't run it past 7,500 miles personally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mike7139
Going on 5 years now without an oil change on my 2001 Pontiac and the oil in it is Mobil 1 EP!!!!

Nice! How often do you change oil filter? Does it need make-up oil?

Yes. Up to 1 year too. It has stable PAO in it. Use EP as make-up oil too.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Going on 5 years now without an oil change on my 2001 Pontiac and the oil in it is Mobil 1 EP!!!!

Still has the original oil filter from when I last changed it in 2010. I used the Mobil 1 EP oil filter and have probably added 1 quart of oil to it in that time. I hope to eventually get the oil changed sometime this spring.

Still has the original oil filter from when I last changed it in 2010. I used the Mobil 1 EP oil filter and have probably added 1 quart of oil to it in that time. I hope to eventually get the oil changed sometime this spring.

Dude, cut that filter open and show us. You need a new one anyway. 4.5 years is a lot. Good chance its clogged and operating in bypass mode now.

Last edited:
I believe there is a time limit on using EP and it's up to 1 year or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. Same principle applies to Amsoil: 1 year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
I believe there is a time limit on using EP and it's up to 1 year or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. Same principle applies to Amsoil: 1 year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

What he said.

Dude, cut that filter open and show us. You need a new one anyway. 4.5 years is a lot. Good chance its clogged and operating in bypass mode now.

This I would like to see too.

I'm kinda curious what this oil comes out looking like after so long in circulation. I've pulled the drain plugs on some cars and what comes out can only be compared to hot oil based black paint that's been thinned to where it flowed like water. Can't imagine oil in that condition providing any protection.

I like it when folks try to use the capabilities of EP oil to validate the neglect of vehicles.

Going 4 - 5 years without an oil and filter change is neglect, period.

That's assuming you are not sampling and doing UOA's on your oil and not using the best synthetic oil filters or bypass filtering.

Your 17 year old daughter would have at least pulled into a quickie oil change joint for a $24.95 special in that amount of time.

Yes. Up to 1 year too. It has stable PAO in it. Use EP as make-up oil too.

As does all M1 oils. Also all M1 oils have esters as well. A friend does 15K on 5-30 EP and his engines run fine at those higher OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back