Nissan CVTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they reasonably reliable, or temperamental? A friend is considering looking at a 2010 Rogue with only 20,000 miles. She's never driven a CVT and had to ask me what it is, so if she doesn't like how it doesn't shift it may be a non-issue. Just trying to figure out if they are still less reliable than conventional slushboxes, or if they have improved.

I know someone that has one in a 2012 Sentra and the only time they don't like it is in the cold weather. The engine turns high RPM'S for the first five or ten minutes.

Early models had issues. But I know that Nissan offers a 10yr/100k mile on some models. Might want to check to be sure. I've heard that over-maintaining, meaning changing the CVT fluid regularly, is critical to it's reliability.

I personally like the CVT, as they are very smooth in traffic and normal driving. Some people don't like the sound and feel of no shifting, but I really find no need to rev it out, since most Nissan engines have plenty of low/mid range torque.

Wholly agree above. I too enjoy CVTs and for comparison sake, I also enjoy sequential manuals. A family member has a 1st gen but last year Nissan Murano. It's looking like the CVTs attached to those wonderfully enjoyable and powerful VQ 3.5 liters can have issues that are very expensive to repair.

If CVTs were more common and mature there would be more cheaper parts and mechanics who could work on it and it would just be seen as a transmission that needs more care if you push it too far too often. When they bought it, I too wanted them to replace the fluid at 60k. CVT fluids then were only available from Nissan. Now I see it available from Vavoline at the local parts store.

Last edited:
I own a 2008 Rogue and a 2012 Sentra, both with CVT's. Around 50,000 on both and never had any problems with either car. I am a stickler for proper maintenence as per the owners manual though.

My daughter has a 2012 Altima and is really hard on her car. She has around 40,000 with no problems either.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Are they reasonably reliable, or temperamental? A friend is considering looking at a 2010 Rogue with only 20,000 miles. She's never driven a CVT and had to ask me what it is, so if she doesn't like how it doesn't shift it may be a non-issue. Just trying to figure out if they are still less reliable than conventional slushboxes, or if they have improved.

I had to get rid of mine in a Nissan Sentra 2010. Bought it new, in Summer time...sold it at 15,000miles. Here's why. I drive short trips in a cold climate it would rev to 3500-4000rpm when below 50F and never "shift" (as in ....never changed ratios) until it was hot and it was shut off and then turned on again. In other words, it never got hot, and I drove the car everyday screaming at 4000rpm just to do 30mph in the cold. It was actually dangerous as people came right up on my rearend. And God forbid I needed to get on the highway on a cold morning below 35F... It'd be 6000rpm just to do 50mph. I compared it to 3 other Sentras on the lot... same deal with every one of them. Not for me, no thanks.

My wife didnt like it because she said it "didnt have power" what it turned out to be was that she associated a real shift of gears with a sensation of power.

Got rid of the car, got a Corolla. Problem solved.

My moms Altima has the same engine/trans as that Rogue. 120k +

Zero issues.
I know a handful of people with Nissan CVT's with no problems.

I have a family member that put in 2 CVT tranny's in her Rogue(under warranty) and was ready for a 3rd when she traded it in.

Not sure where you get that idea, but I have heard other wise about reliability.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/your-...9397_story.html
From the story: But much of the data shows that CVTs are leaving owners satisfied. In J.D. Power’s latest Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), which goes back three model years (2011, in this case), CVT vehicles had the lowest rate of engine/transmission problems.

Personally, I know many people with Nissans and no transmission problems. Most of them don't even know what a CVT is- my wife doesn't and she drives the car more than I do. As for my car, no problems, but at 35000 miles I still expect no issues for another 120,000 miles.

ref

Nissan sold over 335,000 Altimas with CVT's last year. Factor in at least 4 other cars they produce with CVT's and the failure rate isn't bad.

Did they have growing pains in the beginning? Yes they did, but I think they have it down now. I put over 200 miles on a 14 Murano loaner last week, and it behaved extremely well in that vehicle.

I'm not a CVT fan, but If I were to get one, I would go with a chain vs. belt since I keep cars a long time. So far, chain drive CVT's seem to eke out belt drive CVT's as far as reliability is concerned. They also seem to have better cold weather manners. Maybe someone could clarify for me, but as of now; Isn't Nissan using belt drive CVT's exclusively as of now?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Read the consumer reviews for ANY of the late model Nissan products. Seems they aren't lasting at all.

Consumer Reports has the first year(2005) Murano transmission reliability as fair. All years since are rated above average or best.

I have a 2010 Maxima, and interestingly, the CVTs from the first year(2007) are rated much more reliable than the traditional automatics that preceded them.

My Maxima has 70K miles with no issues. My dealer's service advisor, whom I trust very much, has admitted that most of the few failures they have had have been found with non-speced fluid installed.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are there any drive CVTs on the market at all? I thought they were all metal belts.

I believe the options for typical modern CVTs are metal chain or rubber belt, and I don't think rubber belts have been used in automotive CVTs for a long time.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No automotive app uses a rubber belt. But they do use a strange metal belt design. No chains either....

LuK makes a lot of them, and they call them chains. It's kind of an academic distinction, though.

CVT belt and chain difference:

CVT-Chains.jpg

The picture shows a Nissan belt and a Subaru chain

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
The picture shows a Nissan belt and a Subaru chain

Wow, thanks. I had no idea the two designs were that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back