Worth cleaning throttle body & intake manifold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toyota Tacoma with the 2RZ-FE, 2.4 L motor. My motor has appx. 157,000 miles. The truck has been well maintained, but I don't know that "top-tier" gas has always been run through it; in fact, I doubt that it has!

smile.gif

I've heard of some people taking the time and effort to remove and clean the throttle body and the intake manifold (example: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen...d-cleaning.html).

I really like a smooth, well running motor but I'm wondering if this is worth taking the time to do, or do you think it's a waste of time?

Ed

Thanks y'all!

smile.gif

What might I *reasonably* expect to notice if I decide to do it? Would it be unrealistic for the truck run a little smoother, etc., etc.???

Ed

To determine if its worth it you need to see what condition your throttle body and intake are in. Just remove the hose going to the throttle body and inspect the butterfly, you will be able to see if there is carbons or varnishes at that point. If u feel that its dirty its fairly easy to clean. Lots of tutorials and videos out there.

121419d1206718705-maf-sensor-and-throttle-body-cleaning-diy-gs400-and-gs430-throttlebody_closed.jpg

Hello, To ed_flecko: I looked at the Tacoma World thread and was impressed. At your mileage you should do it on the higher likelihood that the same type/source of dirt'll be there. The poster there only had 100K.

Cleaning her windpipes is a good idea.
I did it years ago to an 8-RC Toyota engine. I had to take the head off to do a valve so I removed the carbon from the pistons too.
It ran like a different engine. Kira

Definitely. It will have carbon from PCV among other things. Clean throttle plate will smooth out the idle.

What do you think is a "safe" way to clean inside the manifold runners? Do you think that carb cleaner with some bristle brushes would work, or...???

What should I use to clean the throttle body? Just specific "throttle body" cleaner??? Once it's disassembled, could it be safely immersed in a *cleaner*???

Ed

Hard to say without seeing the specific vehicle. Some do well with everything assembled and just spraying right into the throttle body, run the engine to burn to gunk off, and repeat until clean.

If you remove the parts for cleaning you can do a far more thorough job. Berryman's B12 chemtool is great stuff, but expensive - especially if you have a badly choked off intake manifold that'll need several cans. If it's bad, you might be better off getting a whole case of store-brand carb cleaner from any parts house. If you're cool to the counter guy, he might hook you up with the commercial price.

Pro tip: Compare prices if you're going to need a lot. I found the Super Tech carb cleaner from Walmart was cheaper than the parts house brand even after my commercial discount.

Last edited:
+2

Clean the butterfly valve. It will make a difference in making a smooth idle. Just check some Supertech Throttle body cleaner from Walmart to try it out.

Regards, JC.

It's cheap and easy to clean so I recommend u do it. If u have never cleaned it, u will be able to tell a difference after u do it.

Take the throttle body off and shine a light in the intake manifold. You might be a little disappointed on what it looks like. There are many examples, irregardless of OEM, of oil that has literally puddled in the intake manifold from coming thru the PCV line.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I have a Toyota Tacoma with the 2RZ-FE, 2.4 L motor. My motor has appx. 157,000 miles. The truck has been well maintained, but I don't know that "top-tier" gas has always been run through it; in fact, I doubt that it has!

smile.gif

I've heard of some people taking the time and effort to remove and clean the throttle body and the intake manifold (example: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen...d-cleaning.html).

I really like a smooth, well running motor but I'm wondering if this is worth taking the time to do, or do you think it's a waste of time?

Ed

Ed, it all will benefit from cleaning, especially if it is driven in the city most of the time.

Throttle body and MAF sensor as well, please. In our fleet trucks it measurably affects mileage.

Can a person spray the throttle body and thus butterfly i it is vertically oriented? Won't the liquified gunk just go sit in a u shape somewhere and resolidify? Where does it actually "go"? Will it remove lube from pivot points or damage a black plastic intake upon startup?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Can a person spray the throttle body and thus butterfly i it is vertically oriented? Won't the liquified gunk just go sit in a u shape somewhere and resolidify? Where does it actually "go"? Will it remove lube from pivot points or damage a black plastic intake upon startup?

Our fleet trucks get this service almost every oil change. All now have plastic intakes and have never exhibited any issues.

You don't need much, just be sure to use the correct product. Carburetor cleaner is NOT throttle body cleaner, and MAF spray is very specific also...

This past year for the first time I cleaned the throttle body in my 19 year old 2.0L Zetec Ford. It was not horrendous in build up of gunk. But what a difference it made in idle quality and off idle throttle response with the manual trans
shocked2.gif
. The same with my 13 year old F-150 4.6 with the 5 speed manual trans. It idles so smoother and off idle throttle response with the 5 speed manual trans is soooo much better. Well worth it. Just use throttle body cleaner so as not to damage the coating of the factory throttle body.

Whimsey

I have used Q-tips along with carb cleaner to clean the edge of the butterfly valve where the build up was.

Does it run fine to you? If so, leave it alone!

I completely disassembled a '94 Taurus SHO intake manifold to clean it, at 110,000 miles.

No discernible difference. Don't waste your time on the whole thing. Maybe just spray that throttle body off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back