The USPS could operate on less money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they could figure out exactly what they're in the business to do.

I'm south of Chicago, and I'm waiting on a package that was mailed from Los Angeles, CA.

I tracked it, and here is its path:

Los Angeles to Chicago. (Oh good!)
Chicago to Des Moines, IA (Oh [censored]!)
Des Moines, IA to St. Louis. (Really??)

They'd make more money if they'd stop carrying the same package all over the Midwest, and just go ahead and deliver it.

I know... they're still trying to figure out this delivering stuff concept. Give them some time, they'll eventually get it.

Sounds like a few of my recent packages. In the past when we wondered why one thing would show up in a day or two and others would take two weeks it was probably due to mis-routing. Now we get to see it in all of its "hilarious" glory due to the automation.

Must have been a driver error or something. Usually when the tracking number says it's in my state or town, I get it that day or the next day.

I ordered a college textbook from California and I live on the gulf coast.

The book went through New York before I got it.

And it wasn't because they put it on the wrong plane which would be understood. It made lots of stops along the way to New York and back to the gulf coast.

I seriously wonder what the future is of the USPS; they no longer hire full time career workers but instead PSEs (Postal Support Employee) who are not guaranteed over 1 year of work with no benefits.

This may spark some disagreement and that is fine, but here is my take on the USPS. Too many unqualified people were hired when the EEOC was running wide open and their union has been running the show for too, too many years.

As bad as the USPS is, UPS and FedEx are turning into the USPS...since they've gone to this "handing packages off to the USPS or DHL" to complete deliveries, their service is heading the way of the USPS...

I live in a very rural area, but the longest distance between post offices is 10 miles. On my 23 mile commute to work, I pass three of them and get close to a fourth. The largest one serves ~15,000 people. The smallest one serves less than 500 people.

Every time they try to consolidate, the old folks go into a complete panic. They have no problem driving 15 minutes to get groceries, but having to drive that far to buy stamps or mail a package is not worth consideration. The grocery store sells stamps and I print USPS labels from my computer and leave packages for my mail carrier.

Having to maintain and staff an office that serves just a couple of hundred homes seems like madness to me. I think they'll consolidate some offices within the next couple of decades once the snail mail generation moves on. At least, I hope so.

Think about this:

A business starting in the 1700's and exclusively delivers to every single American address allows two new start up companies UPS(1975) and FDX(1971) to do what they have been doing for 200+ years and do it better. The name of the business....USPS. Got to love government; so efficient.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Every time they try to consolidate, the old folks go into a complete panic. They have no problem driving 15 minutes to get groceries, but having to drive that far to buy stamps or mail a package is not worth consideration. The grocery store sells stamps and I print USPS labels from my computer and leave packages for my mail carrier.

Lol, this is so true! My grandmother will spend half the day driving around to different grocery stores to save a few cents on certain items, but a trip to the post office that is less than 10 minutes from the house is a major endeavor lol. Bit off topic yes, but true nonetheless! But yes once the snail mail generation is gone I think they can consolidate and be more efficient. Not trying to knock the old folks but it is true.

Small towns in the Midwest will fight to the death to keep their schools and their USPS post office. It is such an interwoven part of the community fabrice that any mention of change brings on paroxysms that can only be described as manic.

The person doing the routing just has a job. If packages get routed the long way it make no difference to him/her. USP/FedEx work on what's called a budget and they have to make a profit to stay in business. Our government's budget is our pocketbooks. If they run over they just get more.

There's a move called "The Jerk" and it explains everything you need to know about business. Navon Johnson discovers that business is a profit deal while he's working as a weight guesser in a carnival. You don't need a fancy office or title all you really need is a thermos. If you don't understand that then you must watch the movie. And if you don't already know you will find out what your "special purpose" is all about.

Much of the issue with the US Post Office is that they are managed by a congress with a political motive rather than a board with a profit/performance motive.

That being said, with the exception of one UPS driver several years ago who was fired from the job, we've had outstanding service from USPS, UPS and Fed Ex.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Small towns in the Midwest will fight to the death to keep their schools and their USPS post office. It is such an interwoven part of the community fabrice that any mention of change brings on paroxysms that can only be described as manic.

It's because their grand parents' cousins' grandsons work there and it is not their money.

The same can be said about military budget cut. It is not just midwest but all over the US.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Much of the issue with the US Post Office is that they are managed by a congress with a political motive rather than a board with a profit/performance motive.

Absolutely true. The old folks vote, and the idea of consolidating post offices will bring out cane-wielding rioters.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

It's because their grand parents' cousins' grandsons work there and it is not their money.

The same can be said about military budget cut. It is not just midwest but all over the US.

Once a small town loses its school and post office, the residents know things are going downhill... You might be a bit angry too if some government bean counter cut your property value in half to save some money.

In Albion,Nebraska, our in town main was hauled to Norfolk,NE and back(100 miles). Then the USPS closed the facility in Norfolk and the mail was carted all the way to Omaha,NE and back(220 miles). The USPS has a least three or four workers to do what one could do if the whole operations didn't operate around union rules. All you union members take a deep breath, count to ten and then tell us about all the benefits union membership has to offer. By the way, I have belonged to three unions.

The USPS receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund it's operations. USPS.com.... top 10 things you should know about the USPS.

Overall, I think USPS provides good value. I don't know if they were ever supposed to be focused on one-to-one type customer service. They are certainly not good at it. I am just so glad that I can order my stamps online (rarely need stamps anymore) and print my own shipping labels. I haven't had to stand in line at a post office in years.

I once ordered a book from WM. It was a site to store deal. I think it was coming from Oklahoma? The tracking had shown that it shipped and was delivered down in Kentucky. It even said the guys name who signed for it.

Turns out, the retailer shipped a large package (possibly a skid?) full of several orders.. but they gave me the tracking info for that. Kentucky must have been the middle region for it all then they went their separate ways after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back