Roasting Pan Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Simple as that. No aluminum, preferably first world, and I think preferably with a lid.

Able to roast 15-20 lb turkeys and similar sized hams, lamb, etc.

We have a smaller enameled steel one, and Id prefer something like that unless there is a compelling benefit to the big, heavy, stainless ones.

We have all clad copper clad cookware, and LE cruset enamelware that we cook with all the time. We won't be roasting big stuff all the time, so I'm not inclined to make an all-clad level investment. But recommendations are appreciated.

I think 19"-ish size is what I want but not sure...

My wife bought enameled[?] cast iron roasting pan and it really works great my wife likes it. You have some nice cook ware!

My wife never use roasting pan, my question(probably a dumb one) is how/where do you use it ? In the oven or on the stove ? Can it be used in a BBQ grill ?

You roast poultry, beef and pork roasts, etc in an oven with this type of pan. It can be used on the stove top, but I try to use pots that match my burner size (electric). I have also made gravies, etc, with the roast juices on the stove top in the roasting pan.

+1 for Granite ware. Our turkey roast is 40 years old and has roasted many a turkey over the years.

Here's the 3 top from Cook's Illustrated back in Dec-2013. I don't know COO of any of these.

13x16 model LRS1805P Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Roasting Pan with Rack

Model MCP117-16BR Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless 16" Roasting Pan with
Rack

No longer available from Calphalon but is from others for ~$60. Model GR1805P Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless 16" Roasting Pan with
Rack

CI said the following about Granite-Ware model 0564. It is made in the USA however.
"Not recommended.
Potatoes came out striped from the bottom’s raised grooves and overbrowned around the pan’s edges. The grooves got in the way when we deglazed. The pan withstood stovetop use only if we kept the flame at medium low. Its handles were small and slippery, and its too small Vshaped rack slid. A 19pound turkey would not fit."

I personally prefer enameled-I think any quality brand will do well. A lot depends upon how you want to use it. We have a very old enameled roasting pan that gets used a few times each year. I would not purchase one without a lid.

For most things I find that I turn to my enameled cast iron dutch oven. I can use it on both the stovetop and in the oven, or a combination of both. Rectangular roasting pans aren't so great on the stovetop-the shape tends to heat unevenly with round burners, and most oblong burners don't produce enough heat.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My wife never use roasting pan, my question(probably a dumb one) is how/where do you use it ? In the oven or on the stove ? Can it be used in a BBQ grill ?

They are really designed for use in the oven, although you probably could use them on the grill. Most are thin enough that the direct heat of a stovetop burner will produce hot spots-they really are not designed for stovetop use.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

For most things I find that I turn to my enameled cast iron dutch oven. I can use it on both the stovetop and in the oven, or a combination of both. Rectangular roasting pans aren't so great on the stovetop-the shape tends to heat unevenly with round burners, and most oblong burners don't produce enough heat.

We have two le cruset units which we really like... But neither will fit a 15-20 lb turkey...

I was thinking of cheap old granite ware with a rack inside... Is there a specific brand that is better? I think our current one is granite ware, but its barely large enough to cook a chicken...

If I were going to purchase one, I'd probably purchase a Graniteware roaster like this one.

That being said, if I were to do it over, I would most likely consider purchasing an electric turkey roaster for a couple different reasons.

If you entertain for the holidays you'll need as much oven space as possible for meal prep. A turkey roaster can sit on the counter and do it's work while the rest of the meal is prepared in and on the oven/stovetop. You can also do pretty much anything in a turkey roaster that you can with a roasting pan in the oven, including chicken and other meals.

I usually smoke turkey when we have large holiday gatherings; even when I don't actually smoke something I can still use my smoker as a slow cooker. If I did not have the smoker I'd have an electric turkey roaster for holidays and other large gatherings.

the thickness of the metal and overall quality of the pan will be dictated on what you plan to do with the pan. if simply roasting chickens/turkeys/hams, no need for thick iron, dutch oven type setups. just go with a simple cheap big pan, probably finda reasonably priced one at a local store. however, if you plan on doing braising, where you are browning stove top first, then adding your liquids and seasonings, then going into the oven, just go straight heavy duty dutch oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back