Will Android OS 1.5 to 2.1 give me Wifi 802.11/n?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won this LG GT540 smartphone a few years ago in a raffle ago but never used it. Now, i dug it out and found it can't connect to my wireless router which uses the newer 802.11/n protocol. This is because the phone was made in mid2010 and has wifi 802.11/b/g only and when 802.11/n was still very new yet. My smartphone has the Android 1.6 version OS. A newer 2.1 version is available. If I upgrade to the 2.1 version OS, will I get the 802.11/n capability?

Last edited:
Both router and wi-card in devices have always been backward compatible for me. Odd that it is giving you grief. Check your router settings? I run b g and n off my a.c. router simultaneously. Couple phones, couple computers and a printer ( I think thats it). Should work for you I don't see why not

I find that it can't connect to public wifi nor even the office hotspots too, presumably because they use the n protocol only. This is the reason why my older Titanium Powerbook (older wifi protocols only) can't wifi to the office router. But my newer Powerbook G4 aluminum model (newer protocols built in) can connect.

Last edited:
public wifi is not likely relegated to just N devices because G devices are still quite widespread.

You can configure your router to connect to G devices if you really want to.

An update won't help your phone connect to N. It doesn't have N capability. See http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_gt540_optimus-3081.php

Thing is, it's possible the wifi on the phone is broken because it should be connecting to public hotspots.

Bad phone or user error. routers are fully backwards compatible unless its turned off.. which they don't turn off on wi-fi hotspots.

Some older devices are flaky though. For example I had issues with a Playstation 3 and had to set the router for
"wireless G only with WPA"
before it would connect.

android 1.6 is ANCIENT. I'd update and see if that fixes the flaky phone. if not I got a refurb moto g for 17$ the other day.

so that phone is probably worth less than 5$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back