If you got sucked into the SilverStar hype...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rat407
So is there a better bulb out there or is it just best to stay with OEM?

I've been using Philips Xtreme Power for a few years now, and they have last VERY well on a SN95 Mustang that I handed down through the family. Just installed the newer version, Xtreme Power (or maybe the names or backwards, either way) on my truck. It had great forward lighting to begin with, just wanted to keep the old bulbs as spares, and the Philips did make the beam a little nicer... but they had a profound impact in that old 'stang (9007 bulbs).

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
For the most part, stick to the bulbs that are listed on this page, http://store.candlepower.com/houpbuthno.html whether from this source or another they are top quality higher efficacy bulbs and will perform as the headlamp should.

Yes, I've been very happy with the Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram Night Breaker bulbs.

I remember getting a set of 9006 GE Nighthawks for my parents' car. They were pretty cheap - especially compared to the Sylvania Silverstars on the same racks.

When I needed a higher performance H1, I ordered either the Osram Silverstar or the Nava Rangepower. The only issue I had with the Nava was that they came loose in small cardboard boxes. Never had one that was damaged, but it didn't seem all that secure.

I'm going to do the HIR bulb upgrade on the low beams in a Toyota Matrix in a few weeks.

Will post my thoughts after I get it all done.

I started by cleaning and polishing the headlamps with the 3m headlamp kit.

I remember speaking to someone on the Daniel Stern website (may have been him himself). He steered me away from the silverstars and to the GE Nighthawk headlights. He didn't sell them, either.

Definite improvement with the Nighthawk headlights - that's for sure!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I remember speaking to someone on the Daniel Stern website (may have been him himself). He steered me away from the silverstars and to the GE Nighthawk headlights. He didn't sell them, either.

Definite improvement with the Nighthawk headlights - that's for sure!

They don't last as long though. All of these higher performance bulbs cost more and don't last as long as standard bulbs. I remember my oem lights were long life types.

I only had the car 2 years after I went with the Nighthawk headlights. The Original headlights were still working fine but soooooo dim (typical Ford)

I have a set of Silverstar Ultras in my Buick now and a set of ge Nighthawk Platinum ready for when one burns out. I really want to do one of the tab mod bulbs.

I have a pair of Ultra's in the Honda. I haven't had them long enough to judge longevity, but they are markedly brighter than the previous bulbs... once of which is in the glove box "just in case."

Originally Posted By: JustinH
who makes a good bulb to replace headlights in my toyota matrix?

Looking for non coated and stock wattage, nothing silly.

Philips anything.

Originally Posted By: cutter

Philips anything.

No, not Philips "anything". Philips makes silly blue-coated bulbs as well.

philips-crystalvision-h4.png

I always use bulbs intended for other applications and modify them to fit. Higher wattage and lumens, other have been running them long enough to know that it won't effect the wiring.

2004 Accord: Philips 9012/HIR2 cut down to fit 9006/HB4
2012 Civic: Same as above
2013 Prius: Philips H9 cut down to fit H11

I got burned by SilverStar a long time ago. Had some cheap eBay bulbs that were significantly cheaper, brighter and longer lasting.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Philips anything.

No, not Philips "anything". Philips makes silly blue-coated bulbs as well.

philips-crystalvision-h4.png

Yeah, but i'm sure it'll last more than 8 months.

Yeah, but i'm sure it'll last more than 8 months.

Sure, that could be. But the OP was asking about uncoated bulbs and, while most of Philips' line consists of uncoated bulbs, there are still some to avoid.

I've been using SilverStars for years. I noticed a huge difference, thus I do not believe it is "all hype". For me, they give much improved nighttime vision.

What made me try them originally was the white light. I don't like the dirty yellow light of traditional headlights. I HATE any headlight with any blue tint. The SilverStars definitely gave me white light.

They do not last as long as standard bulbs, but Sylvania has always been upfront and honest about that. They last about 2 years for me. That is in a vehicle (1997 CRV) that I always run with the headlights on, which gets about 20,000 miles per year. With how I use them, I don't think 2 years is bad at all.

Everything is tradeoff. I will tradeoff longevity for whiter light and better nighttime visibility.
(As always, your mileage may vary....)

I've always passed on the SilverStars since I've heard they burn out too fast. The original headlights in my Acura lasted 15 years before one finally gave out. I ended up replacing them with Philips Xtreme Powers and those lasted about 3 or 4 years. Brighter? Marginally. But not worth the excessive cost ($50/pair) for the small benefit. I ended up going opting for the midrange Sylvania Xtra Visions this time around. I really couldn't tell that much of a difference. My sister had Silverstars in one of her Firebirds before, though, and they were quite bright... so perhaps the tradeoff might be worth it if you feel like replacing them every few years.

i have had silverstars since november 2010 and they have not burned out yet (car is driven daily)
i have been looking for something better, but what i really need is a headlight restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back