Four More Majors Cut Lube Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Quote:
He said that at retail, some big auto parts retailers may drop the engine oil prices per quart or five quart jug a little bit in response to oil majors cutting prices. “But I think part of the supply chain will probably try to get as much financial gain out of this as they can,” he noted. “I would suspect everyone is trying to get as much financial benefit out of it as they can. The majors are trying to hold back as much as they can, before they have to start passing it along. You can argue customers of distributors will say the same thing.”

The lubricant price cuts are unlikely to have much impact at the consumer end user level, Morvey said. So if a regular oil change costs $24.95 now for a consumer passenger vehicle, it’s unlikely to drop substantially any time soon. “I think we’ll be paying $24.95 for a long time,” he added.

Quote:
Additionally, the impact of lower priced base oil on finished lubricant prices will be less significant for specialty or premium products, and synthetics in particular,” he said. “Market prices for additives and synthetic base fluids (excluding Group III oil) obviously do not have the same sensitivity to falling crude oil prices as Group I to III oils do, although there is some carryover.”

We've talked quite a bit about reasons for or against pricing drops, and it looks like the majors are going down - but only a little bit. What this means is that the regular list price on most products will likely remain close to the same.

For us Canadians, the drop in the CAD has followed the drop in oil prices, which means even companies that make their oil here has had all their other ingredients (like additives etc) raise in price if they were importing them from the USA. For this reason I don't expect we will see any change in the consumer price of oil up here. Maybe some more frequent sales on some brands, but I don't foresee a major shift in price.
frown.gif

They can always do rebates and other gimmicks. Maybe 5.2 quarts to a jug?
laugh.gif

Personally I would like to see a price cut. However I think any price cut we see will be pretty small. On top of that I can't help but feel when gas goes back up to normal price the price will be higher then it originally was.

Company's love to lower the price/discount the price before they raise it.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'm insulated against any drop in motor oil prices because I stocked up when prices were high.
frown.gif

Its the american way and may as well buy that 3/4 ton pick up you always wanted since the gas prices have dropped temporarily.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They can always do rebates and other gimmicks. Maybe 5.2 quarts to a jug?
laugh.gif

I DO remember seeing a 5+ quart jug.. I think it was 5.1qts if you looked at the quantity on the bottom LOL

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I DO remember seeing a 5+ quart jug.. I think it was 5.1qts if you looked at the quantity on the bottom LOL

These are often sold at auto parts retailers either because Walmart has contractual exclusivity to the 5 quart jugs in some cases, or so they can differentiate the product from that sold at Walmart to avoid price matching.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'm insulated against any drop in motor oil prices because I stocked up when prices were high.
frown.gif

Its the american way and may as well buy that 3/4 ton pick up you always wanted since the gas prices have dropped temporarily.

At least I did that part right. I bought my 3/4 ton diesel pickup when fuel was $1.60 per gallon.

I can tell you why it won't: Walmart

If WM does not force price drops on the majors, which in turn means others (including auto part stores) will have to drop so they do not look as bad. From what I've gathered (and told), WM has no plans, do to the simple fact that the profit is there. Expect a price increase, not decrease....

Plus you'll be entering driving season not too far down the road..so why change?

In the end our politicians determine the cost of energy with their political maneuvers and their leader has bragged that his policy will "skyrocket" energy costs. We are passengers on a ship of fools with no rudder.

Seems like the walmart prices on oil went up by a few bucks since the last time I bought oil. 6 months ago, mobil super was 12, now it is 14.

I ended up with quaker state for 14 on this change.

9 dollars for a filter and a drain plug gasket from the dealer, and 14 dollars for the oil.

I still can't beat the $19 dollar oil change places, but I know when I do the job it is done right.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If WM does not force price drops on the majors, which in turn means others (including auto part stores) will have to drop so they do not look as bad.

Up here, it's backwards. Walmart will occasionally move down in rollbacks, passing on a bit of a cost savings when prices fall, but generally, their markup is way too high and a parts store regularly beats them.

However, if one buys from the distributor, the prices do change as needed, although the changes are small, usually a few cents per quart here and there, and their sales are usually 25 cents off per litre, not 50% off, like Walmart where they already have over 100% markup.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If WM does not force price drops on the majors, which in turn means others (including auto part stores) will have to drop so they do not look as bad.

Up here, it's backwards. Walmart will occasionally move down in rollbacks, passing on a bit of a cost savings when prices fall, but generally, their markup is way too high and a parts store regularly beats them.

However, if one buys from the distributor, the prices do change as needed, although the changes are small, usually a few cents per quart here and there, and their sales are usually 25 cents off per litre, not 50% off, like Walmart where they already have over 100% markup.

That is scary...

I'm way ahead of the curve...I started stocking up on gasoline. I'm keeping it in my kids fish tanks and kiddie pools. I like to think outside the box.

That is scary...

Yes, scary, but true. The independent parts stores here tend to have a 10% to 15% markup on oil - nothing serious, and relatively affordable. CT and WM just like to slap huge prices on their shelf tags, and then think they're doing us a massive favour by having on occasional sale. Something like M1 TDT at WM never goes on sale. I get the Delvac 1 at about half the price, any day of the week.

WM had M1 at a much more reasonable price for a fairly lengthy rollback in 2014 (not as low as one of their big sales), but they slid it back up again. Heck, the distributor sells M1 quart bottles cheaper than WM sells M1 per quart in the big jugs.

Originally Posted By: Garak

WM does not mark their oil up 100%.

Not sure where you're getting your info, or prices, but around here, most of the lube shops actually buy their oil from Walmart because they're cheaper than the distributors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
WM does not mark their oil up 100%.

Look at my location and then think again.
wink.gif
If you don't believe me, come up here, and I'll take you shopping. I'm well aware that in the States, plenty of lube shops buy from Walmart. Here, that would only pay on a major sale or on the Canadian 5 gallon pails of Supertech (now TuneIt or something like that). As can be verified on the web, the regular price (and I've never seen it rolled back) on M1 TDT is $46.97 a jug. I get Delvac 1 in the $25 range, plus or minus, from the distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back