2012 Jeep Wrangler - Disappearing Coolant, No Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4thstpositively
*Update* --> Pictures at the bottom

Sorry for the delay with this update but I just got the Jeep back today. It turns out the previously installed heater core was leaking, more specifically, the connecting hoses.

The workmanship completed by the dealer who initially serviced the heater core was spectacular...for all the wrong reasons. It turns out a blockage was found in one of the tubes, the shop then decided to cut open the OEM tubing and fit an "inline filter", what I later discovered to appear to be a fitting straight from the hardware store.

Because of this modification, I was forced to pay well over $400 (as the OEM equipment was tampered with, albeit at a MOPAR dealer) to have the work done in a proper manner (refitting OEM hoses and removing the shoddy work), keeping in mind the Jeep is still well within the 5 year, 100,000 km limits.

The good news is that there is no longer a leak and the heater works great. The bad news is that I now have to approach the dealer who did the repair and try and get my money back... On top of it all, while checking my air filter, they forgot to screw in two bolts connecting the air cleaner tube to the plastic engine bay surround and forgot to connect the breather tube was "left off at air cleaner". Again, I would like to thank everyone for the advice you have provided me with. Pictures in the link below.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FB7A7AA2A2EE353E!17171&authkey=!ABBVan9QHc1jyzg&ithint=folder%2c

Just another reason why having a vehicle of mine serviced at a shop or a dealership sickens me. Unfortunately your hands were tied with a high cost repair you were not responsible for paying for while under warranty. So doing it yourself wasn't a smart option for you. If the dealer who botched the repair complains about giving you money back for your out of pocket expense due to their stupidity there's always small claims court. Good luck!

Sorry for the delay with this update but I just got the Jeep back today. It turns out the previously installed heater core was leaking, more specifically, the connecting hoses.

The workmanship completed by the dealer who initially serviced the heater core was spectacular...for all the wrong reasons. It turns out a blockage was found in one of the tubes, the shop then decided to cut open the OEM tubing and fit an "inline filter", what I later discovered to appear to be a fitting straight from the hardware store.

Because of this modification, I was forced to pay well over $400 (as the OEM equipment was tampered with, albeit at a MOPAR dealer) to have the work done in a proper manner (refitting OEM hoses and removing the shoddy work), keeping in mind the Jeep is still well within the 5 year, 100,000 km limits.

The good news is that there is no longer a leak and the heater works great. The bad news is that I now have to approach the dealer who did the repair and try and get my money back... On top of it all, while checking my air filter, they forgot to screw in two bolts connecting the air cleaner tube to the plastic engine bay surround and forgot to connect the breather tube was "left off at air cleaner". Again, I would like to thank everyone for the advice you have provided me with. Pictures in the link below.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FB7A7AA2A2EE353E!17171&authkey=!ABBVan9QHc1jyzg&ithint=folder%2c

OMG, what a cluster flock. Looks like they used garden hose adapters and a hose screen filter. Guy in the link below did something similar for a refrigerator filter, but not a car heater hose and heater core.

I don't see how the first procedure could be an authorized Mopar repair on a vehicle under warranty by the first stealer. Incredible.

If the first stealer doesn't give you your money back, you may have to escalate it to the zone rep. You have good pictures. Hope this latest effort fixes the issue and you get your money back. Good luck.

http://willsvariousprojects.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-avoid-expensive-45-ge.html

Originally Posted By: sayjac

OMG, what a cluster flock. Looks like they used garden hose adapters and a hose screen filter. Guy in the link below did something similar for a refrigerator filter, but not a car heater hose and heater core.

I don't see how the first procedure could be an authorized Mopar repair on a vehicle under warranty by the first stealer. Incredible.

If the first stealer doesn't give you your money back, you may have to escalate it to the zone rep. You have good pictures. Hope this latest effort fixes the issue and you get your money back. Good luck.

http://willsvariousprojects.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-avoid-expensive-45-ge.html

It sounds to me like it was a 2012 Wrangler with the cooling system heating core problems that several of the 2012 Wrangler owners had, and the dealer did an out of the box half arsed attempt at a fix. I bet with a Rube Goldberg coolant filter they were trying to filter out casting sand, or muck from the OAT/HOAT coolant mix which screws up the heater core, and/or the entire cooling system. I'd be dammed if I didn't recoup every cent I had to lay out for the repairs if it was my Jeep.

My colorado it would suck down half gallon of coolant every 30k miles, and the oil samples would show coolant. Engine ran fine. Put in 2 of the brown GM coolant tablets. Stopped using coolant, oil samples were fine.

Small crack? Leaking threads?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pull the spark plugs and check for white powdery deposits.

That isn't entirely true. If the coolant has lots of TDS, then it may leave mineral deposits after burning, but a 2012 vehicle may still have factory fill which is distilled water, so no TDS.

I've read that a headgasket leak can actually make for spark plugs that are extremely clean as the presence of water basically steam cleans any carbon.

Also, white ash on a spark plug could also be due to use of fuel treatment products.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
My colorado it would suck down half gallon of coolant every 30k miles, and the oil samples would show coolant. Engine ran fine. Put in 2 of the brown GM coolant tablets. Stopped using coolant, oil samples were fine.

Small crack? Leaking threads?

Those things work great. Same as the Bar's Leaks. Used them in my Equinox and Malibu that had small leaks and stopped both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back