any safe clean for black aluminum .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an very old rear hatch louver for my camaro ( its made in 1980 ), and made out off aluminum, its very dusty, I wipe it down with warm water, but dirt still there. Any safe product I can use that clean it but not strong enough to remove the paint on the old aluminum .. I need a product that clean and do no damage to it. Thank you.

The only way to remove dust without scratching is with water, just rinse it off. if it is dirty you must use a detergent soap and a soft mitt or sponge. You can use waterless wash that comes in a spray bottle that will clean the dirt and dust but it leaves very small almost invisible scratches from the dirt.over time these scratches will accumulate. another method which is also not terribly bad is with a hand held dust mop made for cars, the dirtier it gets the better it attracts the dust, it also will scratch the finish over time, but it really does work well. hope this helps ...good luck

You could try a "clay bar" system. I've had fantastic results with automotive detailer spray and a clay bar. It removes surface debris, without any injury to the paint below. It's labor intensive, but it might be the ticket to a restoration without major surgery (repaint) in some cases.

Also, non acid wheel cleaner made for modern painted aluminum wheels is amazingly good at embedded dirt removal. I can often get a spray can at autozone for $4 or 5 on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back