2015 Dodge Grand Caravan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually laugh when people rush out to buy a larger vehicle when they have a child, but now that our son is almost 6 months old, I can see why it's tempting.

Our current fleet consists of:

2010 Chevy Cobalt. My wife's car, purchased new, 38,000 miles, never had a problem. The car is great for us, but it is very cramped with the baby's car seat in the back. My wife has to put her seat forward, almost to the point that her knees are touching the dash. I don't like thinking about a frontal accident with her sitting like that

My 1995 Mercury Sable. No air, iffy heat, trans going south, needs suspension work, just a few of its many issues. Fine for me to drive back and forth to work and such, but I've gotten 2.5 years out of a couple hundred dollar car and when it goes, it goes.

1996 Dodge Ram. Gas hog, not in the best shape, but perfect as a backup vehicle and for the Home Depot runs, things like that. Not something I really want to pull a car seat in and out of every day.

Last month I had the Cobalt at the local dealer (Chevy/GMC & Chrysler/Dodge) getting a warranty recall done and went down to the showrooms. The SUV's are all pretty nice, but quite a bit more than I would want to spend.

The one that really stood out to me was the 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan. Lots of interior room, very useful. This is the last year for this platform, which I believe is somewhat outdated at this point, and there are nice incentives to purchase.

They are offering a 2015 Grand Caravan SE for 17,000 (plus tax, tag, ect). This is a base model, we don't really need or want leather or self-closing doors, just something with more room. I know we can buy used for less, but for the price, having the vehicle from new is so nice.

We run our cars into the ground, so this would be a long-term vehicle for us. I would take the Cobalt and my wife would drive the van. This would take care of us on vehicles for the next 10 years +.

We are trying to pay our mortgage in 15 years rather than 30, and this would come out of that money. I go back and forth between "let's get a vehicle with space so we can not be cramped every time we drive somewhere", and "just deal with it, people get by with less all the time, and we have a goal we are already working towards".

This isn't really "I want something new", but more "how can I best take care of my family".

Any thoughts on (the Grand Caravans) and (pushing my goal back a few years to have some more convenience now) would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
My co-worker purchases nothing but caravans. He's had great luck with them. He drives all over, to RC aircraft gatherings, so the caravan is perfect for him.

I know that many here will dismiss the caravan as substandard. However, he maintains his very well and each one he's had has lasted the full course without major trouble. Sure, I know that's a data point of one, and not really valid in the real world. However, after seeing his results and how amazingly comfortable his is, I'd consider one.

Edit: He does purchase the top of the line model, with the really fancy interior. It sure is comfy.

Last edited:
Im in a similar situation as you, OP. I havea bunch of fine cars, no reason to sell or trade any but one (rust, but I love to drive it). However, with one child, our car is cramped. We are very active, always doing something or going somewhere, and if we go on any sort of a trip, even overnight, were usually full.

What Ill tell you, which has been our saving grace, is that it does get better... Im 6ft 5, my wife is 5 ft 9, were both pretty tall. When we used the infant bucket, there was no way I could sit in the seat in front of it. No way. When we went to a rear-facing regular seat, it got somewhat better (the bigger/nicer/safer seats are always larger, for good and obvious reason). Now that weve moved the other way around to forward facing, life is better still.

Another thing is that the center is the safest, and we used the center with the infant bucket, but for the regular seat, sitting on one side or the other is more convenient both for getting the child in/out, and allows one seat to have more legroom. After a while the pack and play or equivalent is also not needed, as a cot or mattress can be used.

Strollers always take space, we often travel with a BoB jogging stroller, but with the wheels off it can be fit decently.

So if you can survive 6 months more, or at least until the child is out of the bucket, youll be on the path to things getting better, and able to defer likely until kid #2 comes along. Were in that zone now, waiting to take advantage of the best deals and situations.

I will say one thing - Ive rented about ten town and country vans over the last few months due to work travel with large groups and family travel. The very first one I didn't like due to funny transmission shifting and a low tire. All the rest have been wonderful. And given the price difference compared to the Toyota nd Honda, as well as the fact that all are at the end of their model runs, the T&C is a really good option, IMO. The GC is likely a good option as well, but Ive not driven any of them to know how they are appointed as compared to the T&C.

One year off rental T&Cs can be had for roughly $20k. Im sure you can get a GC brand new for not much more, so it may be a good bet.

Three row SUVs are stupid other than the actual suburban (which is good due to cargo space). They are really for folks who don't want to feel old or are in need of proving their gender. They are slightly more stylish, but still car based (again, except the suburban), but retail lots of issues. Sliding doors allow for operation in tighter spots with wider openings and easier access to the rear bench. The cargo space in a van with three rows open is greater. We have friends who had twins and had just bought a big fancy three row SUV. They had to go buy a minivan because the SUV is impractical for four kids in anything but a pinch. Even our friends who only have two (twins) bought a JSW right before the kids were born, and now drive a minivan due to space issues.

You really cant beat a van.

Unless you really need 4wd or have something big to tow, I think you'd find the van more useful than the truck most of the time. The van will do over 3000lbs which is a big landscape trailer with more payload than the Ram anyways.
Run the numbers on savings on gas, insurance, registration, maintenance, on the van versus the two old cars over the next 10 years. I bet the van won't cost anymore and will be less hassle.

I'm on my third Dodge Caravan and I can say there is a reason so many of them were sold. They do so many things so well. It sounds like you have a little time and you are unsure about purchasing one so I suggest you might want to wait a year or two. Those 2015 vans will be available used in two years for $12,000 and they'll still be in good shape. If you have a family, you can't go wrong buying one.

I have never owned a minivan but, have driven lots of them as rental vehicles and, I love'em! I especially love the Chrysler/Dodge Minivans over the competition. Yes, even over the HonYota's! Maybe the HonYota's are better to own but, I like driving the MoparVans best!

My daughter has the Honda Odyssey and my son has the Caravan. I much prefer the Caravan. Minivan's can't be beat for families. Don't think you will regret the purchase.

Hard to beat a minivan. Space galor. My wife and I are on the middle ground for height (5'7" or so) and compact cars with rear facing seats are simply cramped. Not only that but on lower slung cars you spend a few years bending over to get to the seatbelt buckles. Then later on you are trying to figure out how to put three boosters across the back seat. And let's not talk about all the stuff that gets dragged around for the first few years...

That said we decided that two was our limit--if we had money to burn we'd have three, but we like our family as it is. And couldn't quite justify a minivan. Looked at a Mazada 5, but decided against it. Wound up with our Camry for our mommy-mobile, and so far everyone is decently happy. A sliding door would be great to avoid door dings, but our kids have been drilled into their heads to be careful. Lots of space in the back, and the kids have been able to buckle themselves for last couple of years. Big trunk too.

Side note: my kids like to whine about working the doors on my Jetta. Solid German engineering and young/weak arms don't go together well. Tin can doors though make for less complaints.

Once in boosters it's a lot better, but you can still find them kicking the back of the seat.

Now that my kids are able to do their own seats by themselves, I don't think a full sized car is needed for daily driving. Aside from the door issue my compact works just fine for picking up/dropping off kids. Well, as long as they don't have friends that is.

I guess my point is, the first few years are rough, then it gets better. If you quit after (or before) having two kids, a minivan is more luxury than need. Nothing wrong with having one, but it's not a "must-have". Three and up though I'd have one. It starts to get pretty necessary around then.

Last edited:
As much as I don't like Chrysler products, you can't beat the value of the base model Grand Caravan.

I love minivans. They are just so practical. If I had a kid, I'd be buying a Grand Caravan or a Transit Connect in an instant!

My parents, both in their mid-eighties, have a 16 year old Grand Caravan that still runs like a top. Except for some minor cosmetic repairs and expected maintenance items, it's never been to the shop for any repairs. And, my dad, at his age and physical capabilities, doesn't really do a stellar job with the routine maintenance. It's usually when I get on to him about it that he will have it done. Living 580 miles away from him makes it hard for me to give him hands-on help. Regardless, and in spite of his un-BITOG like maintenance regimen, the van still runs great.

Last edited:
From what I've read (and from driving a few rentals for work), the Caravan is back at the top of the minivan game. The 3.2/3.6 Pentastar engines, new body/interior, and transmissions more reliable than those from the competition have made a huge difference. Its still a minivan with an overloaded/undersized drivetrain... but they ALL suffer from that and have gotten to where the reliability is decent anyway.

OP,
full-disclaimer, i own a mazda5.
your choices:
-gran caravan (lots of info, some good numbers sold...) so lots of knowledge/reviews/parts/expetise available
-mazda 5 (rarish... and i think they produced them up to 2014)
-the new (2014 and up, US made) ford connect 5 or 7 passenger. (even more rarish for now...)
based on the deals, i would choose/recommend the gran caravan

don't be afraid to take the carseat/bucket seat + stroller with you to try/test...

I know someone who just bought their 2nd grand caravan. I think for the price you cant go wrong. Not sure what full size sedan you can get for even close to that price..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Three row SUVs are stupid other than the actual suburban (which is good due to cargo space). They are really for folks who don't want to feel old or are in need of proving their gender.

Having owned both (two minivans and now two SUVs, one being a car-based three-row SUV), I can tell you that the fact is, both have pros and cons. Neither is "stupid". The SUVs simply drive far better than the minivans did, though some of that may be due to the difference in brand and each's idea of how a chassis should react. The difference within the same brand, though, is also significant...or at least used to be. The Dodge Journey I once rented was far more pleasant to drive than our Grand Caravan or Town & Country was. Our three-row SUV achieves similar fuel economy to that of our vans (well, similar to our 3.8L T&C anyway). It's mostly a trade-off of space vs. driving enjoyment. I can tell you, I use the "driving enjoyment" factor daily. We maximized the space of our minivan probably once in the many years we owned it.

Minivans can be an incredible value. They're also generally larger than most probably need and don't drive as well as other products out there. We all make the choices that are right for our family. If SUVs are not right for your family, that doesn't make them "stupid"...it just means they're not right for your family. Saying something is "stupid" because you don't see the value in it is...well...

Originally Posted By: Bob5150
Any thoughts on (the Grand Caravans) and (pushing my goal back a few years to have some more convenience now) would be greatly appreciated!

I think you're on the right track. The Grand Caravan is an excellent value. Don't overlook a used current generation Durango; they will be in the same ballpark price range. Not as much room as a Grand Caravan, but similar fuel economy, and a much better driving RWD chassis. Buy what is important to you. If space trumps all, then minivans cannot be beat.

My two kids were carried around in a Toyota Camry and a 92 Toyota Extra cab P/u and there was plenty of room.

i've said this before but i completely regret buying our 2011 sienna, for the price i paid i could have gotten two caravans.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i've said this before but i completely regret buying our 2011 sienna, for the price i paid i could have gotten two caravans.

We had a poor experience with a Town & Country, and we bought it *because* of the value proposition. We paid a lot less. In the end, we got a lot less, too. It can go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back