Ancient Klein Crescent Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad made an archaeological discovery and dug up an old lookin Klein Tools Wrench while at work. Looks like it could be cleaned up with some good TLC. What do you good people recommend?

20150104_141947.jpg

20150104_142325.jpg

I'd just soak it in my (used) M1 and give it the brush and PB blast the stubborn spots.

That's not a very old wrench-Klein still manufactures the exact model. It's a 16" adjustable construction wrench (or spud wrench), and it is still made, sold and it's not very valuable. I personally wouldn't put much time or money into it-it's simply not worth it. A brand new one from Klein isn't that expensive, and I see used identical models at auction go for $5. If I found that it would go into the garbage-it simply isn't worth any time or resources to get it working again.

The handle design is for aligning bolt holes and not indicative of being vintage.

Hello, FYI: It's an iron worker's wrench. The tapered handle is used to line up rivet or bolt holes. But you knew that, didn't you? I don't think it's that old. Kira

I gave out some Klein bottle openers (yes, bottle openers!) to my co-workers as a Christmas present. Unlike a large tool manufacturer who is now trying to have everything made in China, Klein still tries to have all of their tools made in USA.

As pop said, those aren't particularly rare or out of the ordinary. Still, if you want a fun job, Id consider trying olive oil, naval jelly, evaporust, or even an electrolytic bath. Plain old dawn soap and water may also work well.

Oil well afterwards to impregnate the pores of the metal and help prevent further rust.

They are about 60-70 on the web. Definitely looks like a cool project though. It doesn't look like it was in the ground too long either. Should easily be salvageable.

I havent tried it with anything worth keeping, but I have had great luck with muriatic acid. It seems to tarnish the metal a bit, but it eats all the rust (and paint) off. Dont breath it in though. Very toxic.

Give it a quick brush down with wire wool and drop it in coca cola overnight.

When you see what it does to metal you'll start to fear what it can do to your insides..scary strong stuff..

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Stomachs have buffers.

Yeah they do, I just can't help wondering what a strong acidic solution that can effect metal would do to my soft biological matter, and besides, water won't make your teeth fall out
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back