American Sniper movie is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it this weekend and I definitely recommend it! The man was a patriot and a legend. I'm no Navy Seal but I am in the Military and have deployed and this is a very close depiction of combat and the hardships that come with it. It will make you feel patriotic after watching it, no doubt if not then idk what will. If you saw it I'd like to know your thoughts also!

I saw it yesterday. In fact, I was going to post a new topic but you beat me to it. I do not say this lightly:

IT WAS THE GREATEST MOVIE I EVER SAW IN MY LIFE!

God Bless the USA.

Very intense movie.

I can't even imagine how doing house to house clearing.

If the movie portrayal was only half as intense as actually doing it.....

I got a lot to think about.

To those that Served, thank you for your service.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

If the movie portrayal was only half as intense as actually doing it.....

The movie portrayal was 1% intense compared to the real thing.

I also saw the movie. It was good. Lone Survivor was better.

I will go see it at a local old theatre.
To be frank (and don't get on me for this), I want to be positively surprised by it.
I have to say there's a touch of ...hmmm...retardation to many of Clint Eastwood's endeavors.
The willingness of so many to praise him outright is, in my opinion, freaky.
His characters have killed bad guys-so he's good. I get that. I hate bad guys too.
His Harry Callahan character used a S&W .44 magnum so the gun people worship him-to the point of sick reverence.
I like guns too, but I don't worship any "style queen". I neither hate nor worship any entertainer, sports person or politician. Life ain't TV.
I was agreed with by a few people the other day but 2 titles (which I could barely recognize) were offered as his best films.
I want to see those as well. Kira

I saw it on the first day it played here locally. Very good movie. Very entertaining without being "preachy" in my opinion. I'm not military, but it seemed to be very "real" to me in the stress of decisions that must be made, as well as living with the aftermath, and how it can be harrowing to many.

I do not see it as glorifying war. I see it for what it is; it's a movie about one person, how he was shaped when young, and how he put his convictions into action as a SEAL. But then again, I would admit full bias here. Many of my relatives have been in the various branches of service, from the Revolutionary War, to the Civil War, to WWI and II, Korea, and the various sandbox deployments. And I feel very much in line with Kyle's "sheep dog" mentality. As a cop, I feel compelled to serve and protect as is my sworn duty. It's not my job to kill others, but it is a part of my job to make sure others don't kill my flock and I will do whatever is legally justified to do so.

The end of the movie is very moving, but I'll not give it away in case you're not familiar with the storyline (I was aware prior to the movie). I will say this; I stayed to the end of the credits, and not one word was spoken by a single person upon exiting the crowded theater. And I do not exaggerate; the loudest sound was the gentle blowing of the HVAC and the shuffle of shoes on carpet. That and the occasional teary sniffle.

Godspeed, faithful servant.

The brother and I are going to see it Saturday hopefully. The last movie we have been able to see together was the latest transformers movie!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I saw it on the first day it played here locally. Very good movie. Very entertaining without being "preachy" in my opinion. I'm not military, but it seemed to be very "real" to me in the stress of decisions that must be made, as well as living with the aftermath, and how it can be harrowing to many.

I do not see it as glorifying war. I see it for what it is; it's a movie about one person, how he was shaped when young, and how he put his convictions into action as a SEAL. But then again, I would admit full bias here. Many of my relatives have been in the various branches of service, from the Revolutionary War, to the Civil War, to WWI and II, Korea, and the various sandbox deployments. And I feel very much in line with Kyle's "sheep dog" mentality. As a cop, I feel compelled to serve and protect as is my sworn duty. It's not my job to kill others, but it is a part of my job to make sure others don't kill my flock and I will do whatever is legally justified to do so.

The end of the movie is very moving, but I'll not give it away in case you're not familiar with the storyline (I was aware prior to the movie). I will say this; I stayed to the end of the credits, and not one word was spoken by a single person upon exiting the crowded theater. And I do not exaggerate; the loudest sound was the gentle blowing of the HVAC and the shuffle of shoes on carpet. That and the occasional teary sniffle.

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

I found it a great movie.

I will wait until the initial rush to see it dies down and then plan on going.

I have not seen it, although a friend of mine saw it last weekend, said the theater was full, and a large portion of the audience cheered and clapped at the end of the movie.

dnewton3 said:

In my movie theater every seat was sold out. Its 100% true not a single person made a peep when the movie was over. All you really could hear was the shuffling of shoes and men sniffling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
For a bit of the back story, here's an opinion piece on the movie written by a marine who was also there in Fallujah.
http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/American-Sniper-20150110-0019.html
I agree with dnewton, that the movie is from one perspective and doesn't necessarily glorify war, but it would be good for people to understand the bigger picture of the whole situation.

I find this article to be rambling and not that insightful. Granted there is much more to the story that the movie doesn't address. It was not intended to. But this article is general arm waving without giving a balanced, comprehensive insight into the why's and where for's.

The movie is a look at what individual Americans go through, in a modern war, when called by their government to act. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back