Google & Fidelity invest $1bn in SpaceX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good on Elon Musk! His vision and ambition are to be commended imho. Somehow he doesn't always strike me as a true African-American despite his heritage.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Somehow he doesn't always strike me as a true African-American despite his heritage.

Huh?

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
Isn't elon musk South African and Canadian?

He's from South Africa.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
Isn't elon musk South African and Canadian?

He's from South Africa.

Yep.

Might be worth it to have satellite at the cabin that is on the rural property

B

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Elon Musk is so cool.

I want to buy a Tesla.
I presume now that model D has came out, "lowly" S can be picked up quite "cheaply"; at least on the used market! Somebody who has budget of a good E-class or S-class can easily get Tesla. What is preventing you?

• Mr. Musk was born in Pretoria, South Africa.
+
• Mr. Musk became an American citizen in 2002.
=
• Ergo, Mr. Musk is described by some as an “African-American.”

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
“African-American.” is someone originated from continental Africa ? He's from South Africa so he is African-American !

Except that's not how it works.

African American means your lineage can be traced back to some African ethnic group.

Elon Musk is of British lineage, not African. Being born into a colonized African country doesn't actually make you African any more than being born in California makes you a Native American or being born on a military base in Japan makes you Asian.

Originally Posted By: splinter

• Mr. Musk was born in Pretoria, South Africa.
+
• Mr. Musk became an American citizen in 2002.
=
• Ergo, Mr. Musk is described by some as an “African-American.”

Ergo, these people are described by some as an "Idiot".

These are some of the dumbest definitions I have ever heard. But whatever makes people feel superior to others good luck to them.

Elon Musk is my hero, I don't care where he came from. He is one of the extremely rare examples of someone who has a dream, and isn't afraid of spending money and bucking tradition to achieve it. I want to someday work for spaceX, work for a company that is following a dream, and isn't afraid to do outlandish things to get there. Unlike most major corporations who are afraid to take anything that might be the slightest risk.

The world needs crazy people to push things along. People who believe in what they do and push hard to further their endeavors. That s Elon Musk and that's great. But...

Space X is Elon Musk. Tesla is Elon Musk. Without him, both would have already fizzled. I say it's "him" because of what he brings to the table: Money, or rather, friends with LOTS of money. They guy's friends list is pretty much all of the Bay Area and that's who's bankrolling his ventures. The important part is that it's being bankrolled as a friend, not an investor.

Traditional corporations are beholden to shareholders and investors. Elon Musk isn't. If management at a corporation falters on their returns, they're replaced. That's how capitalism works. Elon Musk is a moonshot that plays outside of those rules. GE isn't. You call it being afraid, they call it doing what their owners (the shareholders) expect. A company's purpose is to make money for its shareholders. Not save the world or further humanity. Those are great marketing taglines, but without profits nothing happens. Money is always first.

Elon Musk currently operates outside that reality. Eventually though, his chickens are going to come home to roost. He has made some very bold claims, even some not so bold ones, that he has not followed up on. I hope he has tangible returns to show before that time comes so he can keep being crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back