PU Euro 5w40 doesn't have a donut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was admiring my $1 bottles of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 and checking to see what specs it meets when I noticed there is no API donut on the back panel. It has a paragraph listing all the specs it "meets or exceeds" including SM/CF, but no donut! What's it mean? I'm sure it's good stuff but did Pennzoil just not bother to get some official cert or something? I know the Pennzoil Q&A said this stuff was discontinued and my bottle has a date on it of Sept 2013. But why oh why no donut?
cry.gif

Is it because its an SM oil in an SN era?

QS Defy has no doughnut either IIRC.. I cant remember if its SL or SM (it meets my Jeeps needs.. that's all I know.
smile.gif
) but since its produced during the times of the SN oil, it cant be "approved" for all cars.

What car is it going in and what oil does it call for?

API... American Petroleum Institute.

I think they just didn't pay for the rights to use the API donut because it is a Euro blend.

It's just a donut.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I have three vehicles that can take this stuff; 2003 BMW Z4 with the 3.0 M54 engine, 2001 Audi TT with the 1.8 turbo and also a Yamaha FJR 1300.

Originally Posted By: Scout1
Was admiring my $1 bottles of Pennzoil Ultra

Yeah, I do that too lol. Only 12 remaining quarts though
frown.gif
in hibernation for me to own a vehicle that can use them. Getting nice and dusty in the process. Someday PU, someday...

315epmh.jpg

But why oh why no donut?
cry.gif

The engines that this oil is designed for don't care about API nor about its donut.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I have three vehicles that can take this stuff; 2003 BMW Z4 with the 3.0 M54 engine, 2001 Audi TT with the 1.8 turbo and also a Yamaha FJR 1300.

They will love it. SM is 2010 and older.

Was admiring my $1 bottles of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40...But why oh why no donut?
cry.gif

Why oh why can't I find sweet deals like this?
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But why oh why no donut?
cry.gif

The engines that this oil is designed for don't care about API nor about its donut.

You're not kidding QP. I was fortunate to have purchased a similar deal on PU at Pepboys. One, PU 10w30 SM, GF-4, Chrysler MS-6395, GM 6094M (donut and starburst) and the other, PU 0w40 that is only SM and the stringent, Chrysler MS-12633 (donut only). I won't be tossing and turning anymore regarding every single spec as long as some semblance of a requirement is met. My Hyundai dealership has no issue with either. Not even with the 0w portion of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back