Pennzoil Gold 5w30 is now dexos and at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil used to have two separate syn blends: Pennzoil Gold and a special dexos 5w30 with the same color bottle, but labeled Gold.

But just this month, I'm seeing Pennzoil Gold 5w30 on the shelf. It is dexos licensed, still claims at least 50% syn, and a different UPC number. I don't remember whether the dexos license number is the same or not.

Pennzoil's website has not yet been updated, but I had always thought that the two were the same, so I'm not surprised one bit that they just consolidated the dexos blend into the gold lineup.

Hasn't this been out a while?

As long as I have been a BITOG'r, the Gold bottle has always been their 5w30 Dexos approved blend. *Perhaps it just took a while to get the Dexos label on all the jugs?

I still want to know how much moly this stuff has!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
It was labeled Synthetic Blend and had Dexos on the bottle, even though it came in the gold bottle, which was different from the Gold bottle that didn't have Dexos on it. Now it's labeled Gold and has the Dexos label.

Confusing enough?

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Confusing enough?

Not quite.
grin.gif

I guess every blend I have seen on the shelf always said Dexos.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Pics?

I haven't seen Pennzoil Gold in a long time since the Dexos product came out.

Pics not really necessary. I also saw this last night in my local W-M.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Makes sense, Gold was as rare as hen's teeth but it was a good name.

I agree, I never understood having two blends that were virtually the same oil except for the dexos spec. I know the dexos version says/said 'up to 50% syn' and the Gold is supposedly up to 40% but WHY? Glad they're combined.

Update

Sorry I forgot to post this sooner, but the dexos license number is the same for both the dexos blend and the Gold.

Different UPC, same dexos license number.

@wemay, it's actually "at least 50% syn", not "up to", but rather "at least" (goes for both the gold I spotted and the dexos version)

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

@wemay, it's actually "at least 50% syn", not "up to", but rather "at least" (goes for both the gold I spotted and the dexos version)

33.gif
Thanks for catching and correcting that tommygunn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back