NJ Turnpike Black Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was lots of freezing rain and ice in the Northeast on Sunday.

Check out this truck driver driving a turnpike double skidding on black ice on the NJ Turnpike. I'll take snow any day over ice. I'm glad everyone walked away. I'm not sure if he was less or more fortunate to have empty trailers. Any OTR truckers have any input on if he would have been better or worse off with loaded trailers on ice? Better traction and steering with loaded trailers?

Holy [censored], that guy in that car must have had his life flash before his eyes. I felt that way just watching the video. That utter feeling of helplessness as you watch a massive truck skidding toward you at 70mph.

Wow. I cant believe that guy just stayed calm and kept filming when it sure was looking like he was going to get drilled!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It appears that the truck drive did a good job missing cars.

The best thing for black ice is a warm motel room.

Yup absolutely!

At some point in that video you can actually see the truck indicate that the driver knowingly sacrificed staying on the road (with imminent collision) and decided to jump the guardrail. Very good driving on his part...except for the part where he was driving too fast for conditions. However, I totally spun and ditched a pickup on the interstate between Green Bay and Milwaukee. I should have known better than to think the road was "wet" when it was 19 degrees outside.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
At some point in that video you can actually see the truck indicate that the driver knowingly sacrificed staying on the road (with imminent collision) and decided to jump the guardrail. Very good driving on his part...except for the part where he was driving too fast for conditions. However, I totally spun and ditched a pickup on the interstate between Green Bay and Milwaukee. I should have known better than to think the road was "wet" when it was 19 degrees outside.

Went into the ditch with my kids, hopefully no more. Scary. Sometimes the road is shiny, sometimes matte dry looking, sometimes you can see tire marks on dry looking roads....black ice is not black, is it?

My wife discovered black ice while going under 5mph. She did a loop and did not hit anything. I was following in a U-Haul truck. We were traveling from Texas to California and hit blizzard in west Texas. I can tell you the best thing for black ice is a warm motel room. We exercised that option immediately.

Wow, I hope the truck driver was ok. I also hope that someone gives him a letter of appreciation, and that he keeps his job. It sure looks to me, maybe I'm wrong, that he ate it in order to prevent directly smashing that car and the jackknifed truck (the car seemed to be sitting far back with space to move forward or evade a bit, not sure if I would have tried to if in that situation, can't say).

Looks like he felt that the best bet was to ditch it by going from truck to car lanes, but he still took out one car it looks like, and then got hit again. I think he went wide right to be able to swing left in time to make it over the railing at an angle that wouldn't glance off.

Wow. Scary for sure.

All I can say is that my only known encounter with black ice, when I was about four, in my parents station wagon, did nothing more then bend the front license plate. I'm sure I've been in a few conditions where I could have encountered some since, but I've been very fortunate. And this video is a good reminder that not much is worth going out on the roads for in those sorts of weather conditions.

I can't say it enough, you need to be CRAWLING at a snails pace when there is any black ice around.... I was traveling at
5 MPH over a bridge which curves and even still I slid towards the edge of it...only missing impact by inches...

People think the NJ Turnpike is more or less a racetrack when the State Police are not sitting at their ramps.

Exit 14A to Exit 9 in College every day in 2001 and 2002.

And Newark streets were frosen hard to an ice skating week a couple or few days ago. Got to go slowwww. Yeow!

Loaded trailers do better on ice than empties, but they will still slide around. I like a heavy load (with a bulk and liquid tank that's pretty much a full load every time) in snow and ice. Best to stay off the road, but driving long distances you will occasionally encounter roads like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back