Techron concentrate in an old Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an old 95 EG Ultra that had sat for years, from the original owner that had lost interest. I had the carb rebuilt and have had several issues with it since. It started to surge and hiccup the last time I rode it just a couple days after Christmas. I rode it today but before I topped off the tank I added 1/2 bottle of Techron concentrate. I felt like they're was some trash in the main jet and thought I would try the Techron before taking the jets out and cleaning them. After riding about 60 miles it really started to smooth out with only a few hiccups the last 60 miles or so. I will run the rest of this tank out and maybe one more with the Techron in it as well. I'm considering using some Seafoam if the Techron doesn't clean the jets up thoroughly. I have used Seafoam before but not a big fan...it smells too much like alcohol to suit me. Any thoughts?

if carb is of suspect (varnish-related orifice clogs, jets, etc.), then fuel-additives with solvents should work.

techron is primarily used for dealing with anything associated with carbon deposits, which frequently happening to fuel injector pintles, back side of the intake valves (although it is very, very rare to see this nowadays, with the mandatory detergent gasoline fuel in NA), and also inside combustion chamber.

Q.

Actually, techron/PEA dates back to the late 70's/early 80's when carbs were more common than fuel injection. It's probably more effective on a carb actually. SAE report 831709.

Techron really is a "miracle in a bottle".

Years ago, I had a really old snowblower that would sputter, backfire, etc. and just would NOT run smoothly.

I was told about Techron and put literally a capful in the fuel tank and was amazed at how quickly and smoothly the engine would now run!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back