Jack Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
I stopped buying JD when they lowered the proof.

Very good! I watched it go from 90 (in the 80's), to 86, and then to 80. It's another form of price increase. That's another reason I like Dickel better. The No. 12 is better than JD (solely my opinion), costs less, and is still 90 proof!

That also reminds me that both JD and Dickel could call themselves "corn whiskey" if they so desired. Since both mash bills call for 80% corn that meets the legal definition. Dickel began selling white dog last year and in that expression they call it corn whiskey.

So, you can see that the whole bourbon/Tennessee/corn moniker question is usually resolved by marketing - whichever name makes the stuff sound the most unique and appealing.

The differences between JD and Dickel, aside from more "secret" things like yeast strain, distillation process, and aging practices relate to the way the Lincoln County process is applied and the mash bills. Both use corn, rye, and malted barley. JD uses more barley and less rye. The result is sweeter and a silky, viscous mouthfeel.

JD trickles the new distillate through large open vats filled with the charcoal they make onsite. Dickel chills the distillate and soaks it in closed tanks with the charcoal.

The end result is two very different tasting products.

When I visited my daughter in PA she had a bottle of Jim Beam Maple.
I don't drink any more due to high BP so I just had 1 shot...Man was it gooood!

I had two more and stopped. I could have made an evening out of it!
smile.gif
Nice slow sippin'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Which version of Old Grandad is it? Is it the 114 proof, or the orange labeled bottled in bond version?

I have both, but am working on the orange bottle right now.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm a beer drinker (drinking a Bud Light as I type), but if beer didn't exist, my favorite drink would be a Jack Daniels black label w/Diet Pepsi.

That's not a bad combo, as if the nutrisweet breaks down to methanol, the ethanol is an antidote.

I like bourbon, straight, or coked...I just don't drink it.

Most that I use is typically in gravy.

(BTW, scotch just tastes like burned dirt)

Old GD is a brand in Jim Beam's huge portfolio. JB was spun off by Fortune Brands a few years ago. They then acquired Cooley in Ireland, and Ardmore/Teacher's and Laphroaig in Scotland. Two years ago, JB was bought by Suntory in Japan. Interesting that two distillers of very fine bourbons (Four Roses and Jim Beam) are both Japanese owned. They love their whiskies in Japan. The owners tend to allow the people running the operations in the U.S. to do what they do best. Still, I find it interesting that the "native American spirit" is being produced in enormous quantities by Japanese owned companies.

I can't comprehend finishing a large bottle in to weeks, even two months or two years.

Whiskey reminds me personally of burning tires and heartburn. Mixed with soda is a bit better, but im not going to drink that if I have options.

I have had some good Kentucky burbons that were good for sipping, but frankly I'm not a fan of doing that and see no benefit to sipping harsh alcohol. To each their own.

I will have rum with coconut water from time to time, that is more appealing to me taste-wise.

But I'll take a bottle of Grenache from Monterey over any, any day.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm a beer drinker (drinking a Bud Light as I type), but if beer didn't exist, my favorite drink would be a Jack Daniels black label w/Diet Pepsi.

Yah That is because peat is used to roast the malt. My brother's don't like the really peaty stuff either. Good! More for me,and they can stick to your sweetened whiskeys. Some body, brought a bottle of the Firball whiskey. We dissed that stuff bigtime, but by Sunday clean up , it was gone.

Some scotches have no peat flavor in them. Speyside malts are very sweet, syrupy, and usually lack peat. To dip your toe in the water try Monkey Shoulder. It is an all-malt blend and since the three malts used all come from the same company it's "almost" a single malt. Under $30/bottle, too.

The Costco Kirkland blended Canadian Whiskey is tasty. Says its aged 6 years.

The Costco in my city doesn't sell spirits, only beer and wine. Perhaps that's because of Texas' goofy restrictive hours/days for liquor sales (10am-9pm M-S, closed Sundays). I've heard there are a lot of good spirits private labeled for Costco.

At least we have Total Wine stores in our area now. Since they are a national chain, rather than a Texas chain, they have products never before offered in this state. Plus, their prices are generally better than what we saw prior.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Thank you! So many people think that scotch is so great, but I could never drink it.

^There are many difference Scotch whiskies. Scotland is still the number one whisky producing country in the world. There are plenty that have no peat.

But, I find myself preferring American whiskey. It's not a patriotic thing. You can just get more for your money. But the general style is different, very much due to the ingredients used.

If all you've ever tried is "burned" tasting scotch you should try a couple of other style before pronouncing that you don't like it. That's like someone trying Jim Beam white label and, based solely upon that, deciding that all bourbons are terrible.

I think Jack Daniels is okay, but overpriced because of its brand recognition. For a lot of people, that's probably the only American whiskey brand they know off the top of their head. The only time I buy Jack Daniels is when a package store has one of their flavored products on sale in airplane bottles. For 99 cents for 50 mL it's worth it.

The amount of Jim Beam white label I have consumed is probably 10:1 compared to any other type/brand of hard liquor. I also like Jim Beam black label. Not so big on flavored products, but again, I will buy it if it's on sale in small quantities. I don't want to get stuck with a big bottle of some cherry or cinnamon flavored junk in case it's too nasty to drink.

Evan Williams...cannot consume. Doesn't matter which kind. Green, black, white...forget it. The worst hangovers of my life, by far, were off of Evan Williams. Even small amounts of it make me feel terrible.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I think Jack Daniels is okay, but overpriced because of its brand recognition. For a lot of people, that's probably the only American whiskey brand they know off the top of their head.

That is pretty sad because there are more great American whiskies out there now than there have been since before prohibition. Many of them are expensive, but many are also great bargains. There are lots of online reviews that can be used as guidance, too.

At the age of 68 I suppose I have tried quite a few brands. Honestly I don't have much of a good taster when it comes to brands and types. To me JD tastes no better or worse then Heaven Hill for about 1.5 times the price.

When it comes to Scotch...Famous Grouse is very good. It blows most moderate price single malts away. Its no Macallan but its more than drinkable.

Wild Turkey rare breed for me please
smile.gif

I also like Jim Beam black label its cheaper and tastes better in coke to me than JD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Wild Turkey rare breed for me please
smile.gif

I also like Jim Beam black label its cheaper and tastes better in coke to me than JD.

When I was 21 I drank a coupe shots short of a quart of Wild Turkey mixed with cranberry juice in probably an hour or two. I really should be dead. I never passed out but half way through the next day I lost it and lost my memory for a couple days.

I doubt if I would ever be able to drink hard liquor and cranberry juce again.

Last edited:
Honestly I'll drink Evan Williams black label. It's identical in flavor, quite a bit cheaper, and a bit higher in proof. Mixed you can't tell a difference except the pockets a tad heavier
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back