Laptop fan bearing noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long do you guys think a laptop fan with intermittent bearing noise will last? My trusty old Gateway has this condition now. It is clean; I blow the dust out weekly, but everday now it will be running fine/quiet and all of a sudden a grinding noise will occur. If I put it to sleep and turn it back on (so the fan stops and restarts), it usually goes away. Or if I force the fan on high speed and then back to normal, it usually stops the noise.

What do ya think? Just let er eat until it dies? This particular model is a PITA to get to the fan. You have to remove literally everything including the screen to get at it.

How long will it last before seizing up??? Thanks!

Tough call. I've seen them last a long time. Question becomes how critical is that fan?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Tough call. I've seen them last a long time. Question becomes how critical is that fan?

It's critical; it's the only fan it has and is attached to the CPU/GPU.

You've seen them last while making grinding noises?

Last edited:
Some fans are easy to replace, others, not so much. Do a search with the model number about replacing cooling fan.

Just take it apart and put some ATF in the fan bearing, it'll outlast the laptop doing that.

I know it is a PITA to take apart (I just did one last week) but as long as you take your time and keep track of where the screws go, you'll be fine, they aren't overly complicated.

Originally Posted By: 94astro
Some fans are easy to replace, others, not so much. Do a search with the model number about replacing cooling fan.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just take it apart and put some ATF in the fan bearing, it'll outlast the laptop doing that.

I know it is a PITA to take apart (I just did one last week) but as long as you take your time and keep track of where the screws go, you'll be fine, they aren't overly complicated.

Good advice, but I would use sewing machine oil instead.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Good advice, but I would use sewing machine oil instead.

I've always used ATF
21.gif
Seems to last basically forever (M1 ATF or AMSOIL ATF). I've never used sewing machine oil but I'd wager that ATF is higher quality and more heat resistant. The latter for me is important for cooling fans for amps for example.

I've done hundreds of fans over the years, always had good results with it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It's critical; it's the only fan it has and is attached to the CPU/GPU.

You've seen them last while making grinding noises?

Only fan? Yes Id at least lube it. When they make intermittent noises I've seen them last for years of use. Sometimes the noise is due to instability at some flow and power point, but if it's silent when running, they can still run.

But I've had the liberty to let then stay due to redundancy. I agree on the atf.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Thanks. I should try open heart surgery after taking this thing apart!

NEEEEH, just open your transmission....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back