Put on new bearing ** Made Mistake **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im so upset at myself, I cant believe i made a stupid mistake.

well I remove the old wheel bearing on 02 Honda Accord

when I took the old bearing off part of the bearing was stuck on the axle I guess you call it spindle or axle.. So I just chizzel it off.. no big deal.

I put on new hub assembly and torc to 139lbs and I said [censored], I forgot to put back on the brake dust shield..

It was dirty and i cleaned it and pained it.

sooooooooo

i remove the axel nut.

then i pull off the hub assembly

guess what????

when it came off it did the same thing the 1st one did.

part of it was on the axle / spindle, but it was not stuck...

So put brake dust shield back on and put the hub assembly on even though part was stuck,

** I could see the grease and ball bearing inside the assembly just like i could the old one i remove but on the new ** However the old one was all messed up **

So i put it back on put it on back to specs 139 pounds of torc ** the new one **

I talked the ppl at part store they said if not making noise it might be okay

another guy tried to scare me and said OHH the wheel is going to fall of while your driving.

this rear remember?

what do you guys think?

Did I explain his well???

am I safe?

Last edited:
Just keep an eye and ear on it for a while. Your wheel isn't going to fall off and you won't die no matter what. After you drive it for a while just put your hand on the area near it when you stop. If it feels hot compared to the other one like uncomfortably hot then change it out. I doubt you will find anything and it will be fine, Just remain aware of it and if it starts doing anything wierd, dragging getting hot brakes dragging ect then you will have to change it right quick.
Long story short keep an eye on it and it'll be fine. After a few weeks or so forget about it. I had a noisy rear bearing on an old 87 CRX that I pulled loose and was dry. Darned thing was on a nylon gearing race of all things. All I could do was grease it and go for the time being and it was fine and dandy for another 50000 miles when I scrapped it due to massive rust. Those kind of bearings for whatever reason don't seem to ever seize. The grind, scream, hump, click and really make their needs known for a very long time before they fail.
As for it being a stupid mistake, yea sure. Wrenchin on all my own stuff for 40 years i haven't made a bone headed mistake like that since way back in 2014 or so. No worrys, you are sure to do it again just like me.

I'm not familiar with the axle arrangement on your Honda, but I would venture to say if the assembly went back together like the first time you probably don't have a problem. Just my take. Is the part that stayed behind the inner bearing race?

Originally Posted By: Quest
U'll be fine.

Just drive.

Q.

thats what I thought... it has a 32mm axel nut... also all noise is gone.

the bad one when i took wheel off and turned it you could hear it make that noise and it had play.

After i was done with install befor i put on the wheel, i spun the rotor and it was silent and had no play.

however that 1 guy at part store was like it might be fine or it might last 1 week.

but then that other guy there was saying OHH your wheel is going to fall off
and I was like?? HOW??? there is a huge axle nut and I said if the old one that was orignal with 190k miles on it was still working how can this one just ** the tire fall off **

I think he wanted to make a sale.

Soo really you think Im okay???

Originally Posted By: Driz
Just keep an eye and ear on it for a while. Your wheel isn't going to fall off and you won't die no matter what. After you drive it for a while just put your hand on the area near it when you stop. If it feels hot compared to the other one like uncomfortably hot then change it out. I doubt you will find anything and it will be fine, Just remain aware of it and if it starts doing anything wierd, dragging getting hot brakes dragging ect then you will have to change it right quick.
Long story short keep an eye on it and it'll be fine. After a few weeks or so forget about it. I had a noisy rear bearing on an old 87 CRX that I pulled loose and was dry. Darned thing was on a nylon gearing race of all things. All I could do was grease it and go for the time being and it was fine and dandy for another 50000 miles when I scrapped it due to massive rust. Those kind of bearings for whatever reason don't seem to ever seize. The grind, scream, hump, click and really make their needs known for a very long time before they fail.
As for it being a stupid mistake, yea sure. Wrenchin on all my own stuff for 40 years i haven't made a bone headed mistake like that since way back in 2014 or so. No worrys, you are sure to do it again just like me.

I drove it around and was going 95MPH on the I-75 and then when I got home and I was speeding.. going 65 on 45 road.. really taking corners hard...

and when i got home i felt both sides and they were hot... but I had to leave my finger on it for at least at least 3 seconds before I felt heat.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I'm not familiar with the axle arrangement on your Honda, but I would venture to say if the assembly went back together like the first time you probably don't have a problem. Just my take. Is the part that stayed behind the inner bearing race?

yea its on the inside....

it went back on perfect..no play and smooth.

Originally Posted By: Driz

I talked to our mechanics and our shop in michigan and they said the same thing as you.

however they said if they would of made that mistake on a customer car they would of ordered a new part..

However I could not do that..... I had no other car to drive to part store..

and i was NOT going put the old one back on.

Also yea such a noobie mistake.... I was so mad at myself.. I almost didnt put back the brake dust sheild.. I was going to leave it... but then i said nahh b/c i had it all nice and painted and i painted my calipers....

I mean i did a real nice job but then a goofed on the main thing.

errrrrrrrrrrr

i hope its okay... its not that hard to do... but a pain to do in your garage at home.

thanks for you input,,, i was nearly going to run to aap and buy a new one and put it on in morning.

so thank alot for you input.

Last edited:
bearings are known to heat up a bit when under load and also in-service.

bearing grease suppose to liquify and lubricate the contact surface between the rollers/balls and the bearing race, generating(accumulating) heat as it goes along.

So long as the bearing race stayed intact (balls didn't come off the race when you re-pack the bearing back), in additional contamination introduced into the bearing (grease), also no hammering of the bearing race onto the bearing assembly during re-assembly of your hub and torqued down properly, you should be fine and dandy.

Don't worry too much...just drive.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
bearings are known to heat up a bit when under load and also in-service.

bearing grease suppose to liquify and lubricate the contact surface between the rollers/balls and the bearing race, generating(accumulating) heat as it goes along.

So long as the bearing race stayed intact (balls didn't come off the race when you re-pack the bearing back), in additional contamination introduced into the bearing (grease), also no hammering of the bearing race onto the bearing assembly during re-assembly of your hub and torqued down properly, you should be fine and dandy.

Don't worry too much...just drive.

Q.

the old one I had to hammer off..

then i took wire brush and cleaned up the axel after i was done removeing the old one.

but remember this is a all in one deal...

it came apart... and yes I saw the ball bearings and it was full of grease.

also I didnt have to hammer it on... it went back on nice and smooth.

I just hope im okay b/c when i had to remove it to put brake dusk sheild on it came apart..

hope i dont have to redo it.

Last edited:
If this is a sealed ball bearing, then the seal is likely compromised. hopefully you don't end up with brake dust in the bearing and grease in the brakes.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Isn't the wheel bearing supposed to be pressed into the hub? Why's the wheel bearing coming off?

no not on Honda and for the rear.

it just slides on and slides off.

however somtimes they get stuck.

here is video.
You can see its not that hard..
but I think Im okay.. I dove the car for 20 minutes at 90 MPH on I-75 and drove it very hard in the city around corners testing... and I never drive that hard and it was smooth as silk

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Call us when you get to your destination, so we know you're safe.

Thanks.

I just drove it around again.... and its smooth and i felt the heat on both sides and one side is not hotter then the other.

I have a 4 hours trip / 8 hour round trip next Wednesday..

I guess that will be true test....

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Call us when you get to your destination, so we know you're safe.

Thanks.

How can I call you?

Im thinking of just re-doing it.. I hate things to be half arse.

Last edited:
I have been nearly 100 miles on the car and so far so good.. However the I feel the rotor after a drive and it feels a lil bit hotter then the other one..

Strange..

not burning your finger hot... but hot.

perhaps thats the brakes....

Im going to change the other one.

also the orginal bearing I was looking at it.. and it was a NTI / or NTN.. that brand that was suggest that i buy..

said made in usa.

the one i have says made in china.

Im probably going to re-do then both.

but the real test is this week.. I have to drive from Tampa to Miami and then come right back few hours later.. so nearly a 600 mile drive

that will be test.

Some ppl hate to drive long distance or across the country or state.

I LOVE IT

I have gone from Canada to FLA 6 times alone... I like to make long drives alone.

Now with people int he car I cant stand it.

1 thing is for sure seems like the road noise is not near as loud as it was.

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Isn't the wheel bearing supposed to be pressed into the hub? Why's the wheel bearing coming off?

no not on Honda and for the rear.

it just slides on and slides off.

however somtimes they get stuck.

here is video.
You can see its not that hard..
but I think Im okay.. I dove the car for 20 minutes at 90 MPH on I-75 and drove it very hard in the city around corners testing... and I never drive that hard and it was smooth as silk

What a hack job! Puny scissors jack, no jack stands, no torque wrench and using an impact to install the new bearing (not to mention hitting his ratchet with a hammer to make sure it was snug). Pretty much a video on how NOT to do this job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back