How much can I suck out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased this oil extractor off Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I plan on using it to do a "suck" and fill on the Buick in my sig. I had the pan dropped and filter replaced about a week ago. The fluid went from being light brown to having a red tinge to it. So, if I shove this down the fill tube, how much fluid should I expect to pump out? I am going to have 2 gallons of MaxLife waiting to go in, should that be enough? Also, when I looked at the paperwork from the shop it said they used Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF, is that any good and will they mix together ok? I am looking to get smoother shifts out of it. It shifts alright cold but when it warms up it gets a bit rougher. The pan drop seemed to help initially but wore off a bit, still better than it was when we got it though. Hoping this machine will work, seems all to easy.

You'll probably get maybe 4 quarts out of the pan with that extractor if you're lucky. Top it off afterwards and put 500 miles or so on it and do it again.

In my tranny I have 1/3 factory fill dex 3 that's 13 years old, 1/3 Supertech dex 6, and 1/3 maxlife. It shifts like normal. U should be okay to mix, especially in a 20+ year old vehicle. You will likely be able to pump the amount that is in your pan, I don't know how much that is but it should be less than 2 gallons.

I can't get past the title of this thread
smile.gif

before you start, practice with water to ensure your tool works.

You can also make meaasuring marks/check the marks on your extractor with a black sharpie so it's easier to read.

But yea, you'll be able to get out as much as in your pan, or pretty much same as a drain fill. if the dipstick tube is in the front of the pan, you may get a little more if you're on a slight slope.

4 quarts is very doable, 5 quarts is the maximum I've ever gotten out and it wasn't easy. I just installed a Dorman pan with drain plug on my 4T65e this past weekend. They are pretty cheap on Amazon.

Forgot to comment on the fluid choices... Yes the Castrol fluid is pretty good for a shop to be using, better than most bulk dex/merc i'd say. If its the important multi vehicle its a good 8 cSt fluid with a 200 VI and a great replacement for DexronIII-H applications.

Also the 2 gallons of maxlife will need to be using in two different fills, i would recommend driving at least 1,000 miles between the gallon swaps or if you are in a big hurry you can just take it on a nice cruise 10 miles should mix the old fluid good with the new enough to be a somewhat useful suck and fill.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I have an ex girlfriend that used to ask the same question. The problem was, she wasn't asking me.....
LOL

Also here is another helpful tip if you didn't already know...

Take your transmission dip stick tube out and put it next to the hose length on your pump and mark it from end to end and this will be the approxmiate distance you need to stick the hose in to reach the bottom of the pan, you may choose to feel in there until you hit the bottom of the pan, but this will at least give you a ballpark measurement to know where to stick it.

sea people and me...

I tried this on the 3-speed auto in my cutlass ciera with 1/8" aquarium tubing and it only got a quart. I felt like it was getting hung up where the dipstick tube met the pan.

How much ? Depends on the car . In my Passat I can get all but an ounce or so but other cars may not work as well with the extractor , When I first tried the extractor I opened the drain plug after pulling out everything the extractor could get and only a dribble came out . You might try the same thing .

Originally Posted By: Andy636
If you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose me give ya fiv dolla
laugh.gif

I have an ex girlfriend that can, well ..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back