Saw castrol magnatec today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive noticed it at all of my local parts stores along with a new GTX HM bottle design. What is the deal with Magnatec? is it supposed to replace GTX? is it a synblend? I want to try some but its awfully pricey compared to GTX HM at wally world...

Last edited:
It sticks to parts so it will be there when you start...as they say it reduces start up wear.

Yep, a syn blend unless it is 0w20 or 5w20, which is full syn.

Is it replacing GTX or is it gonna be a "parts store only" deal? Id love to try it but only if its a wally for $17.99 on rollback because im cheap like that.
cool.gif

Last edited:
I believe the MagnaTec is the replacement for the Castrol Semi-syn that was on clearance and caused all the hula-baloo around Christmas time at AutoZone. I've also seen the old Castrol Semi-syn at reduced prices at O'reilly's and AAP, although not for a $1 per quart.

Does this sound familiar?

http://www.inthe90s.com/generated/commercials.shtml

Castrol Syntec Motor Oil
Several car engines are mounted on stands in a lab. A lab technician pours Castrol Syntec into one of the engines, while other lab techs pour conventional oil into the remaining engines. The lab techs then drain the oil from all of the engines and start them without oil. As the narrator comments on Castrol Syntec's "unique molecular structure", four engines formerly filled with conventional oil seize up one after the other (the fourth does so with a screeching noise). However, the engine formerly filled with Castrol Syntec keeps on running. The narrator closes with "Castrol Syntec. Protects in ways other oils can't."

Edit, might also read this:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=144822

The Council of Better Business Bureaus, National Advertising Review Council, National Advertising Division
Case #3526 (03/01/99)
CASTROL, INC.
Castrol Syntec Synthetic Motor Oil....

Some quotes:

Quote:
Mr. Kabel [Castrol] stated that motor oil manufacturers, including Mobil, regularly make changes in their formulations, both base stocks and additives, without disclosing these changes to consumers, regardless of whether the changes result in an increase or decrease in performance. Mr. Kabel stated that in the case of Syntec, there was no need for Castrol to notify consumers of a change in formulation because the overall integrity of the product remained the same.

Quote:
The challenger [Mobil] asserted that it tested (and had an independent laboratory, Savant, Inc., separately test) samples of the current and former versions of Syntec. Mobil provided test results showing that the current version contains no PAO and either no or only a trace amount of ester, while the former version of Syntec contains 70% PAO and 7% ester.

-----------

Will history repeat itself? A little ester now in Magnatec, a quiet little reformulation later?

Magnetic molecules cling to your engine surfaces...causing molecule sludge. Only Mobil 1 will have the detergency necessary to remove the magnatec sludge.
grin.gif

In all seriousness I am curious to see how the oil does in UOAs and the TBN retention. This must explain the $1 Autozone Castrol Synblend now stashed and collecting dust in BITOGers basements and garages.

Last edited:
I already have some and can't wait to run it but it's gonna be a while. As I understand it the GTX synblend is going away and Magnatec slides in it's place.

Getting good deals on it right now at auto parts stores OCI specials but if it doesn't show up at Wally's so I can buy a jug whenever I want I will be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
if it doesn't show up at Wally's so I can buy a jug whenever I want I will be disappointed.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
if it doesn't show up at Wally's so I can buy a jug whenever I want I will be disappointed.

Agreed.

It's on the way!

Syn blend goes clearance next month.....

Originally Posted By: GMFan
In all seriousness I am curious to see how the oil does in UOAs and the TBN retention. This must explain the $1 Autozone Castrol Synblend now stashed and collecting dust in BITOGers basements and garages.

Did these UOAs on my Nissan Turbodiesel with the synthetic 5W40.
Navara Turbodiesel Magnatec 5W40 A3/B4

TBN seemed pretty OK.

Used the last of the drum in my Caprice on the weekend.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Agreed.

It's on the way!

Cool! Any idea as to the price? I'm guessing 19 bucks a jug.

Magnetic molecules cling to your engine surfaces...causing molecule sludge. Only Mobil 1 will have the detergency necessary to remove the magnatec sludge.
grin.gif

You've got the creative talent necessary for marketing/advertising jobs at oil companies. You just designed their next ad campaign.

grin.gif

lol

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Agreed.

It's on the way!

Cool! Any idea as to the price? I'm guessing 19 bucks a jug.

That I do not know....

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would get Syntec at Walmart for $21.xx before paying $19 for Magnatec

At that price...and considering two of the flavors (0w20 and 5w20) are a full syn-makes me wonder about the syntec now....

We won't know till we see it I guess, but I am NOT paying full syn prices for blends so they better get that right.

The Edge at 21 bucks isn't gonna last it'll be back up soon if they do like they have with all the full syn lines lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back