Use original car key or a duplicate first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought a new Toyota Hilux. The 2 identical keys for the ignition and doors is of the old style type, similar to what I had in my 1968 air cooled VW Beetle. There's no wireless unlock feature here. My wife had a duplicate key made and began to use it regularly, and kept the 2 original keys in the bedroom drawer for safekeeping. I say we should use an original key, and keep the duplicate and other spare key in the drawer. My reasoning is that the original key will fit the ignition and door locks much better than a copy, and should keep the mechanisms longer from wear than if we used the imperfect duplicate. Am I correct here or am I overthinking this and just use the duplicate first?

I agree with your wife.. use the duplicates.

If you ever had to have the ignition lock cylinder replaced, you'd get a new set of keys. a locksmith can easily rekey that cylinder to your original keys.
They work best with a NEW set of keys, I.E. original factory set.

A duplicate key is only as good as the person doing the cut.
Going to a do it yourself machine would probably yield a key that may not be up to par, but would work. It wouldn't wear anything down, simply wouldn't really work to well till key gets worn a bit.

Finding a capable locksmith is the key.

I have always done as your wife suggests. I've had my company work van for over 12 years and am still using the same duplicate I made when I first got it. No issues.

I always use duplicates 1st & save the originals. If you're worried about the ignition wearing out, oil it once a year with a drop or two of Mobil 1. That stuff is fantastic lock lube.

I use the duplicate and store the originals as well. The reason is if the key that's in service is lost and you need to make another copy, you're making a copy of the original. Copies of copies aren't as accurate and lose more accuracy at every generation.

You likely won't have an issue with either method as long as the key cutter is good though.

I've been using the original key for 30 years in the same vehicle that I purchased new. And now I find out that I did it wrong. I do have a spare key, a flat key that I keep in my wallet. And my wife has her key and we have another spare in a kitchen drawer. Maybe this thread will inspire auto manufacturers to include ignition key car in their owner's manual even though soo cars will not use such a device, anymore.

I used to use the duplicate, lately I've been using one of the originals and I've hidden the duplicate somewhere in my car. Maybe it's nonsense, but the key has a chip in it and I'm worried that something might happen one day to the chip inside the key and prevent me from starting the car while away. I also take my keys to be cut at businesses that work just on locks and keys. I've found a local lock/key and safe business that cheaply cuts them for me.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
..... or am I overthinking this...?

Ya think?!?!

There's got to be more important things in this world to concern yourself with.

Not trolling here, just sayin... "get a grip, dude"

You're overthinking it. It is not something to lose sleep over either way.

But if you want to nit pick, I would use the duplicate so that it gets all the wear. Keep a manufacturer original as your spare, so that future duplicates can be made off of it should you be unable to get the key code from the manufacturer.

Was there ever a time in your married life when your wife was wrong and you were right? Well, in this case, she IS right but that does not really matter because she is ALWAYS right :)

I always use duplicates. Once I have a few copies that work suitably, Ill use one for several months to sort of break it in and then swap it for a shiny new duplicate. After a couple years I have perfect originals and some well broken in duplicates that work easily. Always make duplicates from the originals.

Last edited:
In few years, nobody would be asking this question as the duplicate key would cost you $999 per copy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back