Difference between RJ19HX and RJ19LM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own two Craftsman mowers one with the B&S 6.75 HP Quantum Series engine and the other has the B&S 6.5HP Quantum Series. Both engines are practically identical or so I thought as I was removing last years spark plugs and beginning to install new RJ19LM plugs I noticed the 6.75 has a difference plug...RJ19HX?. Went back to the auto parts store where I purchased my plugs from and they didn't have any in stock, in fact wasn't listed in the computer either and the guy never heard of that particular plug. Checked a few more stores same thing, the only place I could get it from was back at Sears after calling. Upon comparing the two plugs they look identical, does anybody know if I could get away with just putting in an RJ19LM plug instead?

Last edited:
LM = Lawn Mower
HX = "Racing" (no, I don't know why Champion calls it a "Racing" plug)

Perfectly interchangeable in this application.

I have the same mower and I think they put the HX in the Rapid Start One pull "or whatever it is called" mowers. They are the ones with no primer or choke. They really aren't anymore expensive from Sears. I think the electrode is a little thinner than a standard LM.

Just went to Wally World for the RJ19LM. Think it was $1.79 and the upgraded one-pull plug with a thinner electrode (5861) was $2.59.

Plug Info:
EZ Start Number: 5861
Stock # 868
Regular Plug: RJ19LM
Alternative Plug: QJ19LM

I looked at he E3, but the world must be coming to an end, because, it looks like an old Splitfire plug. Ironic, since Splitfire is not selling the Y design anymore and it touting "Copper and Platinum Classic Plugs."

"Splitfire is not selling the Y design anymore and it touting "Copper and Platinum Classic Plugs.""

A keen observer can readily differentiate marketing B$. The above is a fine example. Splitfire threw us the revolutionary Y design to see if we'd bite. We didn't swallow hook, line and sinker so they've now gone back to making standard spark plugs probably no better than anyone else' product and likely not as good as some.

I went down the spark plug experimentation road many years ago.

Stick with the mainstream brands such as NGK, ND and in a pinch, Champion. You'll not only get a decent plug, you'll probably save money too.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
"Splitfire is not selling the Y design anymore and it touting "Copper and Platinum Classic Plugs.""

A keen observer can readily differentiate marketing B$. The above is a fine example. Splitfire threw us the revolutionary Y design to see if we'd bite. We didn't swallow hook, line and sinker so they've now gone back to making standard spark plugs probably no better than anyone else' product and likely not as good as some.

I went down the spark plug experimentation road many years ago.

Stick with the mainstream brands such as NGK, ND and in a pinch, Champion. You'll not only get a decent plug, you'll probably save money too.

I don't think this thread was about experimentation, just a question about the spec'ed plug for the engine. Mine specs the same non-standard RJ19HX.

This is what Champion says about the upgraded "One Tug Plug"

Quote:
Added performance is available by upgrading to Champion EZ Start™ spark plugs. EZ Start, “The One Tug Plug™,” starts easier because it has a booster gap with a fine-wire electrode that maximizes the energy flow into a concentrated spark. A projected core nose provides maximum anti-foul resistance.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K
This is what Champion says about the upgraded "One Tug Plug"

Quote:
Added performance is available by upgrading to Champion EZ Start™ spark plugs. EZ Start, “The One Tug Plug™,” starts easier because it has a booster gap with a fine-wire electrode that maximizes the energy flow into a concentrated spark. A projected core nose provides maximum anti-foul resistance.

I wonder if that is what the RJ19HX is then? They look about the same.

The shape of the electrode tip is shaped differently, and the porcelain seems to be longer on the old plug. Which I read it to be a hotter plug. Will it work the same? I doubt you'll noticed any difference. Harley says to use their plugs in their bikes, but if you buy a regular Champion plug, it runs the same. The Harley plug just costs more.,,

Last edited:
I've been using the Champion 5861 as a replacement for the J19LM. I don't believe it's a one tug plug though as my generator and edger have to be pulled 2 or 3 times before they start.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Do yourself a favor and dump the Champion RJ19LM for a NGK BR2LM. Better starting, better running, better plug.

I use hundreds of Champion RJ19LM plugs a year and about 10 BR2LM plugs a year for customers that insist on NGK. FOR THIS APPLICATION, the made in USA Champion plug is just as good as the NGK, cost less, and works perfect. So you really wouldn't be doing "yourself a favor" by ditching the Champion. It's a good plug. Made in America and high quality too.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Do yourself a favor and dump the Champion RJ19LM for a NGK BR2LM. Better starting, better running, better plug.

I use hundreds of Champion RJ19LM plugs a year and about 10 BR2LM plugs a year for customers that insist on NGK. FOR THIS APPLICATION, the made in USA Champion plug is just as good as the NGK, cost less, and works perfect. So you really wouldn't be doing "yourself a favor" by ditching the Champion. It's a good plug. Made in America and high quality too.

You must be a Champion dealer. My Tecumseh 8hp engine was a pig to start with a Champion RJ19LM. Bought a new RJ19LM - same thing. My dealer said to try the NGK - he guaranteed it would start and run better and if it didn't, he'd refund my money. Popped the BR2LM in, primed, started on first pull and has continued to start on first pull every time. Popped the brand new Champion back in for poops and giggles, took 5 pulls to get it to start. Again, switched in the NGK - first pull. And, this engine is spec'd for Champion. As far as it "costing less", the BR2LM is exactly the same price at my dealer

I'll stick with my recommendation: dump the Champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back