Cars you wouldnt drive if they were FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to cars I wouldn’t own:
-rustbuckets
-probably will not own something without ABS or side airbags. Tempting to avoid those new-fangled systems, but hard to resist the allure of “safety”
-No a/c? it had better been free
-motorcycles and three wheeled contraptions
-something with only 2 doors. Sorry, four is just more useful. I’ll get a two door when the kids are gone and I need something to deal with my mid-life crisis
-anything with a timing belt. People here are saying timing chains can now go 500k if not forever, so why get a belt?
-diesel setup. I’ve loved mine, but the emissions controls are getting too expensive on the new stuff
-direct injection. Too new and unproven. See all the complaints about fuel dilution and intake valve deposits. While they probably have it fixed on new cars—I’m not new car shopping. So I’d rather have old fashioned port injection
-anything by Scion
-Nissan Cube. Probably anything by Nissan, they never seemed to be as good as other imports. Maybe back in the day they were, but today?
-Mazda, between rust and styling and “zoom” nonsense it’s a no-go. I suspect they’ve fixed a few things but still, not high on my list
-VW? Bit of a reliability issue there
-Subaru, don’t think the reliability is there either. They seem to have fixed the mpg’s though.
-Been curious about Kia/Hyundai, but not sure about them either. I may well try someday, but right now… I have an irrational dislike
-Ford, Mercury, Lincoln (long time dislike for anything Ford); Cadillac too
-Honda’s are usually dinged for road noise, and their engines spin backwards (that’s a joke, in case anyone read this far)
-New Toyota’s, don’t like the styling
-just about anything new actually… Don’t like the current styling trends, and I don’t want to deal with the dealer’s “free” 2yr service
-and just about anything over 10 years old. Stuff gets too old. Too many opportunities for stuff to break. Although I guess if it was free and rust-free, I could go afford to completely redo it. But I don’t like having to stop my life to get a tow truck, much less break down miles from home.

Personally I’m ambivalent on my truck’s styling (Tundra gen 2), and my Camry (gen 6) almost ranks as ugly. Inoffensive for both, but nothing good. Too many rounded surfaces IMO. Function over form is why I bought them. So it’s probably no shock that I still like the dated styling of my Jetta. Mostly straight lines. But I don’t like the angled styling that Toyota is heading towards, somehow my Jetta is both more rounded and less angular. And a nice low key interior. And leather seats that IMO have held up just fine for an econobox.

But the older I get the more I dislike driving. A vehicle is just something you pour money into. Increasingly I wish I had made different decisions after college and lived with bicycle distance of work. Then I could whine about bike manufacturers that I wouldn’t own.
wink.gif

How long would I have to keep it? There isn't any that would bother me bad enough I wouldn't take it. I only have a 15 miles round trip commute so alot of vehicles will be tolerable at that amount. Now anything over 30 miles is questionable.. had a 60 mile one way commute in a Festiva without AC that wasn't fun.

Anyone remember when louvered rear windows were awesome? This car has all the goodies..corvette rims, mudflaps and louvered rear! Also an awesome tow hitch.

CC-87-057-800-550x250.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not too picky on free cars, the first was an 81 Olds Omega. It got decent mileage and started when it was cold, floated along on big 13" tires. I had it for 4 years before it started having carb troubles and our needs changed, so I sold it.
Next free car was a 95 Neon which actually was a decent car despite its reputation. It withstood regular thrashings for autocross and me learning some basic mechanics.

If the alternative was riding a bus or cadging more than one ride from a friend, I'd take as a freebie anything that ran. For work or errands, that is. Going on a date? Another category (and, I suspect, thread) entirely.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Anyone remember when louvered rear windows were awesome? This car has all the goodies..corvette rims, mudflaps and louvered rear! Also an awesome tow hitch.

CC-87-057-800-550x250.jpg

Louvered windows on the second generation Camaro and Trans-Am looked good, but not that thing in the pic!

Originally Posted By: morepwr
anything made by Volvo.

No disrespect to those who like them, but i'm with you there. You could not give me one. Maybe, Maybe an older 240d but nothing gas powered or from the last 35years from volvo.

Last edited:
If I had no car, I would not turn down any free car that ran so long as it was safe to drive.

I already drive a Kia Rondo, which I'm surprised hasn't specifically made someone's list. But it does what I need it to do.

This is not mine, but it looks exactly like this with the exception of, I have tinted windows - hey I live in Texas, it's necessary.

File%3AKia_Rondo_LX.jpg

Last edited:
Chrysler post takeover vehicles might be on my list soon. Once the Fiat DNA takes over Chrsylers lineup it's gonna be Fix It Again Tony on a 2017 Fiat Ram 1500.

There literally isn't a car I won't drive. I'll drive anything. I give 0 F**ks.

My old 86 Tempo? Loved it.

My old 94 Saturn SL? Loved it, even when it spewed blue smoke.

I can have fun driving anything.

Agree. There's nothing free that I wouldn't drive. My dad was a Depression era kid and he would buy used Corolla wagons when he could easily afford a Mercedes. He didn't care about attitudes or how much fun ( or not ) a car was to drive...he had his eyes on retirement, a house, or something that actually mattered...not if Skippy McYuppie would chastise him for buying a 325 BMW instead of a 5 series.

I dunno, I'd pass on a lot of free cars. Well, maybe if it was dropped off I'd take it--but only to flip. Passing safety & emissions can be a bear.

Lots of stuff I wouldn't pay to own: I wouldn't purchase it for a number of reasons. But free and w/o issues? I'd drive it for a while. Odds are I wouldn't hate it that much that I'd get rid of. Then again I'd probably get rid of all the faster if something broke and I didn't feel like fixing.

I've been offered free cars and graciously accepted them with open arms, who want s to walk to work in the snow, right?

But if anybody ever offered me a Fiat Multipla i'd,run a mile the other direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back