Tesla S versus Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think this has been posted, but if so, please pardon the repetition.

Saw this and thought that I would share. The Tesla driver came off the line much better (maybe a more experienced driver?) and the Hellcat had no traction, but I believe the Tesla would have won anyway. It set a record and for a "luxury" sedan, it is not too shabby. I thought it a bit strange that a track would allow spectators so close to the burnout pad.

Enjoy!

The Hellcat driver even did a good burnout before staging. But he made a false start, then the Tesla driver got out on him. At that point, maybe the Hellcat driver just decided to make it an exhibition run for roasting the tires?

The Tesla S is 4wd. Electric cars excel at off-the-line acceleration.

Last edited:
Electric cars make 100% of their torque at zero rpm, so the better launch. Not all Teslas are awd, though. There's another video out there of a Tesla on a dyno and the tires can't hook up at low rpm.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Electric cars make 100% of their torque at zero rpm, so the better launch. Not all Teslas are awd, though. There's another video out there of a Tesla on a dyno and the tires can't hook up at low rpm.

^^^ This. That and they have a flat torque curve means that they are quick as stink in almost all situations.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I'm sure you know this, but in case anyone else doesn't:

AWD is only optional on the Model S. RWD is standard. Only the trim levels with "D" in them have AWD (the D stands for "dual motor"). The Model S in the video is the P85D trim level, which is the most powerful version with AWD.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

^^^ This. That and they have a flat torque curve means that they are quick as stink in almost all situations.

And on top of that...

They have only one gear, so they start running out of steam at high speeds. If this same race had been started from, say, 100 MPH, the Hellcat would have had a MUCH easier time.

Ive driven a Shelby cobra EV, the torque is amazing.

I cant imagine that either can actually use their capabilities to the fullest extent.

I also suspect that some of the hellcat's capabilities will never be able to be completely utilized, and are there more as a feel good spec. Reason being that with that much power, by the time things are adapted to be able to truly utilize all of it, probably other compromises, weight being only one of them, will come to play...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I'm sure you know this, but in case anyone else doesn't:

AWD is only optional on the Model S. RWD is standard. Only the trim levels with "D" in them have AWD (the D stands for "dual motor"). The Model S in the video is the P85D trim level, which is the most powerful version with AWD.

I just read about the dual motor Model S in Car & Driver this weekend. 691 HP total from the two motors, so you would expect it to run comparably with the 707-HP Challenger. But like they say: Power is nothing without control.

That was a waste of youtube. So easily fooled as well as gullible. It is a B.S run.

Originally Posted By: CT8
That was a waste of youtube. So easily fooled as well as gullible. It is a B.S run.

Clearly. False start than I don't know what the driver in the Hellcat was doing.. but he wasn't stepping very firmly on the accelerator..

It might just be me but I find the Hellcat to be as ugly as sin.

The Hellcat has launch control. Why didn't the Hellcat driver use it. I guess it's just cooler to smoke your tires and show how much power you've got as opposed to actually using some technology and winning. Muscle car drivers.. DOH!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: CT8

Clearly. False start than I don't know what the driver in the Hellcat was doing.. but he wasn't stepping very firmly on the accelerator..

False start for sure and a poor driver, but since he smoked the tires more than halfway through the run, I think he had a very firm grip on the accelerator (which was part of the problem)--all that engine noise certainly did not come from the Tesla. With only 16HP separating them, I am surprised the Tesla did not leave the Dodge even further behind.

Well, that would have been an interesting race, if the Hellcat driver hadn't red-lighted and then just walked it down the track.

A Tesla (or any EV) *should* make a superb drag vehicle. The Hellcat is a handful to get launched, that's for sure (heck, even a 392 can give you fits). The current best Hellcat 1/4 time (at least reasonably well documented), is in the mid 10s with an almost perfect density altitude day at a near sea-level track, loaded with racing fuel to keep any detonation at bay, experienced drag driver, and running slicks. Multiple runs to back it up. The driver reported his best time came by launching in 2nd gear (this is an 8-speed auto car), launch control and traction control off, and flicking the paddle shifters at 6200 rpm.

That Tesla has me impressed. 11.6s is no slouch. They have some great traction management software to get the car to launch so well. I'd like to know the 60' time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Until you drain the battery in 10 miles. Then they are quite slow.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Well, that would have been an interesting race, if the Hellcat driver hadn't red-lighted and then just walked it down the track.

A Tesla (or any EV) *should* make a superb drag vehicle. The Hellcat is a handful to get launched, that's for sure (heck, even a 392 can give you fits).

Yes, because 470 HP is not really very much...
smile.gif

I stopped watching Top Gear because of their ridiculous "races." Like the Ferrari vs Cadillac. When they gave the Caddy a 2-second head start... ugggh.

And isnt there a Porsche EV than can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? The 918? Or is that the Tesla?

IIRC, Bugatti Veyron can do it in 2.5. Which is insane.. even if a Viper Twin Turbo Hennessey can best it by 20MPH (! That is a lot!) In a standing mile...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back