RTV vs Fel-Pro Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm changing the gear oil on the front and rear axles on my grandpa's 1996 Jeep Cherokee tomorrow. It has the Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear. O'Reillys sells Fel-Pro gaskets for both. I don't really feel like messing with RTV if I don't have to. I used a Fel-Pro on my Chevy truck a year ago with no RTV and it didn't leak.

So what do I use? Thanks

Fel-pro will work just fine.

All our toyotas more then a million miles on them combined, NEVER had an oil pan or timing cover leak EVER with RTV. If OEM uses RTV, there is a reason why.

If they offer a gasket use it. Many times RTV is used only because its easier for robots to apply.
It also keeps inventory down and is cheaper but not better,

I recently bought some Permatex specifically for gear oil, diffs etc. I have about 60k on my rear diff oil at the moment. No leaks whatsoever.

How much are the gaskets?

If you ever want to change it again the gasket might let loose better the next time.

But if you nick the mating surfaces with your scraper getting the current RTV off you might need more.

I also use both. A gasket plus a very little RTV to both sides holds up very well.

Why use both? Any sealer is weaker than the gasket. If the mating surfaces are gouged or warped, then maybe RTV is best.

I like felpro gaskets on diff covers. They never leaked on me. I dont think it would hurt if u used the gasket and a little bit of rtv.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I like felpro gaskets on diff covers. They never leaked on me. I dont think it would hurt if u used the gasket and a little bit of rtv.

+1 I will usually use a little gasket sealant to hold the gasket in place. I would use whatever the OEM had on it originally.

In this case, I would just use the gasket along with some tack sealant:
80062.jpg

Now if it were leaking, I would be inclined to use RTV.

Sounds like I'll put a little RTV on the gasket. The gaskets are only like $3.99

I've gone gasket only, RTV only and both at the same time on diff. covers.. As long as the mating surfaces are clean and de-greased you will not have any problems with leaks using any method. Another thing to be aware of is bolt torque. Over tightening can slightly warp diff covers possibly creating uneven mating surfaces.

If using a paper gasket, I would put a sealant on it (like the red tacky spray on stuff), not RTV.

But on a differential cover, I would just use RTV by itself. IMO, with RTV, paper would be the weakness. It doesn't fill in imperfections in the mating surface. So, if you're going to use RTV, just use it by itself. Using the paper gasket might help the cover break free easier next time, but if you use any RTV, you still have to clean that off before resealing.

I like Permatex Right Stuff and Ultra Black for this. I have never had a leak from either.

If a reusable rubber or silicone gasket is available from the aftermarket, that would be my first choice. Second choice RTV. Third choice paper with sealant.

Its largely a matter of personal preference. Like 01ranger said, Right Stuff is excellent on diffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back