Honda Fit CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Drove a 2015 Fit with a CVT today. I was surprised at how good this version of a CVT is. I liked it better than an Audi I've driven on several long trips.

Now for a question. Surprise number two. Paddle snifters on a CVT? What's with this?

CVT's ARE GARBAGE!!! I cant stand them. If you love them, great. Having paddle shifters on a CVT just makes it seem like your shifting when your not. Stupid to even have on a CVT really does absolutely nothing.

Which Audi did you drive that you liked a CRV better? That made me laugh out of my chair right now, thank you for that, I needed a good laugh. haha.

Jeff

Can't speak for a CRV. Never driven one.

The Audi in question was an A4. The CVT in this car can be described as "unfortunate". The Fit CVT is an example of how good a CVT can be. For me I'd still take the 6-speed.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
My understanding is that the shift points cause additional wear on the CVT but most people are used to the shifting sensation to the point of having trouble adjusting to the lack of shifts.

CVTs are constantly shifting, so adding artificial gears with the paddle shifters shouldn't make any difference to reliability. Our Forester has them, and they're useful now and again (e.g. when descending hills and not using cruise control that would automatically engine brake for us).

But, yeah, I'm no fan of the CVTs that add artificial 'shifts' in normal driving. That loses one of the main benefits of the CVT, keeping power available all the time.

The best way around a CVT is...Just buy a manual tranny!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The best way around a CVT is...Just buy a manual tranny!
laugh.gif

You're assuming that a young driver would have any idea what to do with that third pedal or that lever sticking out of the console. I don't think there's an app to handle those strange devices.

What would happen if you're texting when it's time to shift gears? You'd have to finish your message first. It's difficult enough managing the brake pedal, the gas pedal and the steering wheel to say nothing of those colored street lights, other cars and a dashboard full of confusing information.

You're forgetting the bit about finding a manual transmission. We are not exactly awash in them.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
yeah, I agree. I love the CVT. Didn't think I would until I drove a car with one. Incredible gas mileage for the size of the car and motor. Considering every car maker is fighting for more mpg, the alternative would be either hybreds (expensive) or turbo-chargers on very small displacement motors (questionable durability). Longevity is really the issue with CVT's and we won't know for some time how they will do but they are NOT anything new.

You can engineer more MPGs out of manual transmissions but the general public refuses to learn how to properly drive. Even the DCTs are more efficient than the CVT but many don't understand how they work and end up not liking the feeling. In general, the CVT is just not good engineering as far as transmissions go.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

What would happen if you're texting when it's time to shift gears? You'd have to finish your message first. It's difficult enough managing the brake pedal, the gas pedal and the steering wheel to say nothing of those colored street lights, other cars and a dashboard full of confusing information.

This is exactly why my kids first cars will be sticks:
1) They can't text and drive.
2) Their friends won't be able to drive it.
3) I know in an emergency they'll be able to drive any car around if necessary to get help or leave a situation.

CVT's are garbage? I have had manuals, automatics and now a CVT. Seems there is a contingent of people that just hate the CVT's. I personally like it. I am somewhat concerned of it's durability but only because it is a new technology. CVT's are going to be very common in the next 5 years since they can save significant gas mileage.

The pre-programmed shifters are kind of a joke but overall, they keep the car in the swet spot for efficiency.

I don't mind them. But, if I wanted a car with a transmission that only lasted 40K miles, I could get an older Chrysler product. CVTs just don't hold up.

I'm waiting to see how long CVT's last. I prefer low rpm engines that can run at decent throttle angles and torque their way up a hill. CVT's seem to steal that ability, just like most any automatic.

Too bad they can't just make that belt out of something replacable. I mean, if you could just open an acess port, rotate it to find the link, pop it open, and replace... ?

I'm waiting to see how the current batches last. And then what the replacement costs are like. But realistically: for most any car that has 150-200k, isn't a transmission failure the end of the road? Most people (maybe not BITOG'rs) would quit it. Someone else can snap up the car for a few grand and spend a few grand on replacing the trans, and they would be quite happy.

thats assuming you are USING the shift points. In normal mode, it is infinite shift points so it will not wear at one spot.

DCT’s as efficient as CVT”s? Not true. CVT’s (and Hybirds) are more efficient because they keep the engine at the optimum torque for any given load and RPM 100% of the time. A manual or automatic transmission with discrete gearing can only hit that sweet spot at one point in each gear. Keeping the motor loaded just right is key to peak fuel efficiency. I am not saying that CVT’s are the perfect answer since we really do not know the longevity just yet but they definitely win out in simplicity and costs over the hybrid systems on the market now.

I'm a fan of paddle shifters with a CVT. Why? Because they give the driver a choice. CVTs are all about electronics and software, so it really costs the automaker nothing to include them. So why not offer that additional element of control if a driver wants it? It doesn't take anything away from how the transmission will normally operate anyway, which is in full automatic mode.

Anyone who drives a twisty road and likes to keep the engine revved up a little for faster response will quickly appreciate being able to do that with a manual mode.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm a fan of paddle shifters with a CVT. Why? Because they give the driver a choice. CVTs are all about electronics and software, so it really costs the automaker nothing to include them. So why not offer that additional element of control if a driver wants it? It doesn't take anything away from how the transmission will normally operate anyway, which is in full automatic mode.

Anyone who drives a twisty road and likes to keep the engine revved up a little for faster response will quickly appreciate being able to do that with a manual mode.

Even the rented CVT Caliber I drove livened up when using the gear paddles, and it "shifted" much more responsively than I thought it would. I'm still not going to try to get a CVT trans anytime soon, but having the ability to pick and hold some ratios helps make it more tolerable anyways.

considering you own a VW....well guess you probably know your dealer on a first name basis anyway....lol

In response to this, So Did my Honda Dealer. So???

Jeff

DCT’s as efficient as CVT”s? Not true. CVT’s (and Hybirds) are more efficient because they keep the engine at the optimum torque for any given load and RPM 100% of the time. A manual or automatic transmission with discrete gearing can only hit that sweet spot at one point in each gear. Keeping the motor loaded just right is key to peak fuel efficiency. I am not saying that CVT’s are the perfect answer since we really do not know the longevity just yet but they definitely win out in simplicity and costs over the hybrid systems on the market now.

CVT's are meant for the best MPG's possible, NOT meant for performance driving like a Dual Clutch is.

Name one High performance Car out there that has a CVT? Name One. mmmmmm Good Luck with that.

CVT = better MPG, NOT a better driving experience. Bottom line. If your not a "Performance" guy, or woman, then you wont care anyway haha.

Jeff

Last edited:
Pretty sure the Tesla dispenses with transmission altogether. As does the Prius series. Two different ends of the spectrum.

Not sure that you can get a manual transmission in any high end sports car anymore. But most(?) drivers say they still want a stick. Despite knowing the "flappy paddle" travesty is faster. Lightning fast shifts are nice, but for some reason the clutch/stick interface is more pleasing.

realistically if you want to do any performance driving you need to be on a racetrack. Its not like I can find an empty road around here. Suppose I could get on the road at 3 am...lol. BTW, a CVT in theory should beat out a DCT as the power is applied on a constant and consistent manner. The DCT will win out in a LeMan's style of race. But pure 1/4 mile times are faster with the CVT.

And no, CVT's are not in racecars...nor are Tesla type systems even though they are very quick. We all realize CVT's are not for high torque applications. That may change over time....will you keep up?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

CVT's are meant for the best MPG's possible, NOT meant for performance driving like a Dual Clutch is.

Name one High performance Car out there that has a CVT? Name One. mmmmmm Good Luck with that.

CVT = better MPG, NOT a better driving experience. Bottom line. If your not a "Performance" guy, or woman, then you wont care anyway haha.

Jeff

Honestly Jeff...you don't seem to realize that it's not only your opinion that people find a bit silly.....it's the WAY you put it.

Let's see if I can get you to grasp why you are obnoxious.

You made basically two rude and ignorant statements.
1. "CVT's are garbage"
2. "Stupid to even have a CVT"

Both of those statements are false.....but more to the point...very much a put-off and rude.

You could have said something like..."I don't care for CVT's. They don't function well in terms of performance. Some quality issues have also come up in some models...and that is a concern".

But...you are who you are...which seems to be somebody that likes to enflame the discussion for no apparent reason other than ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back