Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Mobil 1 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the more liked synthetic oil between Mobil 1 And Quaker State Ultimate Durability in 5w20 for cleaning and all around performance?

Ran M1 5W20 exclusively for around 70,000 miles in my Accord. My mechanic --when replacing the valve cover gasket about a year ago-- said the engine was very clean. Currently using QSUD since it was on sale. It's definitely quieter than M1. You really can't go wrong with either oil.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Ran M1 5W20 exclusively for around 70,000 miles in my Accord. My mechanic --when replacing the valve cover gasket about a year ago-- said the engine was very clean. Currently using QSUD since it was on sale. It's definitely quieter than M1. You really can't go wrong with either oil.

+1

I have been using QSUD for several years now. It is quieter than some other oils I have used in my Vibe. Price is always good as well. Similar in composition to Platinum but 4 dollars cheaper.

Pick the cheapest one. Both are excellent products and there's no practical way to tell which one would be better in actual usage. And on top of that the difference might be too small to measure.

Both are excellent but I would feel more comfortable extending my OCI on Mobil 1.

I base this opinion on UOAs that I read on the Chevy Cruze turbo.

All things being equal? M1 simply due to the performance that I have experienced in my FX4. However, I ran QSUD in my Hyundai Azera and it worked very well--nice and quiet, but I did not extend the OCI in it so I cannot speak to TBN retention. You likely could not go wrong with either oil.

Valvoline has worked better than either in our subarus and Honda for fuel mileage and lessened TCT sticking. QSUD is a quiet oil and QSGB "conventional" the quietest, IME. I am going to do an OCI #1 on the rogue with Supertech Wpp syn. An very "average" amoungst synthetics in analysis reporting (per PQIA VOA) but only 17 bucks for a 5qt jug. I seem to get less ring sticking using oils with no moly and a goodly % of boron with the Sodium package. May be just all an oil fantasy in the brain
smile.gif

Last edited:
I like both products but for whatever reason, QSUD synthetic is quieter and my wifes Hyundai SF V6 runs smoother with it. I wish I knew why...

The Mobil 1 should be slightly superior if you go by marketing. QSUD is entry level synthetic but underrated more like Pennzoil Platinum, hard choice but Mobil 1 has more flavors available.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I did not think anything quieted those 3.5 v6 engines when cold.. I do know they are good engines though

It does not make any weird startup noises, which is good. LOL. Very smooth running when it is warmed up. Hard to complain about QSUD because I have tried Mobil 1 EP, Mobil 1 and PP in the Hyundai 3.5 V6.

My 3.5 santa fe's are very noisy on start up first thing in the morning but quiets down after a few minutes. All the ones i hear seem to be noisy at start up

I guess I'm lucky that we have a SF 3.5 that is quiet at startup. I know some at the Hyundai SF board say it may be because of people doing the first oil change to early. I waited until over 3-4K miles before doing the first oil change(after factory fill). Some say they did theirs at 1K and they were experiencing start up rattles/noises. When I later tried Mobil 1 and then Mobil 1 EP, they were definitely much louder in the 3.5 V6. The V6 also went through a quart in 4K miles. Since going to PP and now QSUD, the engine only uses around a 1/4 quart of oil every 5K miles...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
QSUD seems to be happy in our ecotec engines...

just installed my first change of QSUD in a fleet van. Seems quiet and smooth to me...

I currently have QSUD 5w-30 in the snow plow truck. Quiet start up in the cold mornings and reduced valve train noise during warm up versus other oils (mostly conventional) that I used in the truck. I noticed that the Quaker State conventional green bottle oil also quiets down the girlfriends Honda Fit engine, which often times sounds like a sewing machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back