Changed the oil and oil filter on the push mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice day today. Been a year since I last changed the oil and filter on my ten year old 2005 model 21" Toro Super Recycler. By the way, mower is in mint conditions and runs/works like new. This mower cost $650 new. Of course, I paid less than $75 for this gem lightly used off off Craigslist a few years ago.

Replaced the Purolator L14476 filter with an orange can Fram PH4967. Oil choice today was 26 ounces of Mobil Special SAE30 oil.

Also cleaned/scraped off the deck, sharpened the blade, greased the rear axle zerk fittings, and blew the air filter off (still in good condition). Good for another year of mowing.

mower_side_puro.jpg

engine.jpg

purolator.jpg

fram_and_oil.jpg

mower_w_fram_installed.jpg

fram_installed.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What, no Fram Ultra?
wink.gif

Ha, I think the orange can will do just fine for the next 50-75 hours of use til it gets swapped out next year.

So who makes this Toro motor? Why on earth would it need a filter, when Briggs has came out with a "lifetime" oil engine?

I can't imagine this motor with a pressurized oil system to outlast a splash oiling system, they last long enough the way it is, and you have no filter waste.

It's made by Briggs and Stratton. It's a "premium motor" with a cast iron cylinder liner and of course, an oil filter. The engine does have an oil pump, but it is used just to pump oil through the oil filter. The engine remains a splash lube design. With decent maintenance it should last at least twice as long as your average aluminum bore Briggs engine.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I can't imagine this motor with a pressurized oil system to outlast a splash oiling system, they last long enough the way it is, and you have no filter waste.

On cheaper mowers, the engine will outlast the deck 3 fold. Cheap decks don't last very long today. This Toro Super Recycler has pretty heavy duty components and can realistically last 25 to 30 years with how I maintain my equipment. The heavier duty engine is an attempt to last as long as the deck.

I would love to try a Fram 3600 oil filter on that mower to see if it would fit...

Got one on my lawn tractor (17.5 hp B & S ) works great...
I use house brand full synthetic 5W-30,
NAPA was just on sale for $3.79 a quart...

If not that, a Purolator L14477 (same base, longer)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I would love to try a Fram 3600 oil filter on that mower to see if it would fit...

Got one on my lawn tractor (17.5 hp B & S ) works great...
I use house brand full synthetic 5W-30,
NAPA was just on sale for $3.79 a quart...

If not that, a Purolator L14477 (same base, longer)

I do know that the Fram #3600 is a perfect replacement for the Fram #3614 but, IDK if it'll replace the Fram #4967?

This might be one instance where the "bigger is better" mentality might come back to bite you in the behind.
If too much oil is held in the filter, there will be less oil in the engine rotating assembly to lube and cool the engine, an engine that will run especially warm in a Florida summer. If this mower was mine (and granted, it's not), I'd run the size that B&S specified.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Is Mobil Special 30W an "Opti-4" oil?
Didn't you see the sticker on the deck? Kira

HA, Opti 4 oil is an expensive snake oil sold by the small engine dealer that this mower came from. The original owner of this mower actually gave me a few quarts of it to go with the mower. I gave the Opti-4 oil away and will use oils that are actually API certified.

I would have gone for a Wix/Bosch/Mobil in black, but that's just me.
wink.gif

Is that really the original size for that small motor? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

This might be one instance where the "bigger is better" mentality might come back to bite you in the behind.
If too much oil is held in the filter, there will be less oil in the engine rotating assembly to lube and cool the engine, an engine that will run especially warm in a Florida summer. If this mower was mine (and granted, it's not), I'd run the size that B&S specified.

You're assuming people put the factory recommended number of ounces in without checking the level on the dipstick after the filter fills.

Bigger filter holds more dirt and more oil, more oil is almost universally better. More total add pack, slower dilution, higher thermal mass for stable oil temp, larger filter has more cooling surface area. That sounds ideal for use in hot climates.

Purolator 14477 has the same base, but a third longer.

The PureOne PL14477 (gold colored) would be my choice...

Can you fit the PH16 or PH8A on your mower??
20.gif

*Oops.. Should have read a bit more. The 4967's gasket is just a tad smaller than the FL400S/ 3600. All the mentioned filters should work assuming they don't hit the exhaust.

Last edited:
I've never in my life seen a mower like that with an oil filter.....didn't even know they existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back