Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2014 Fusion Titanium (27K miles)as a rental while our car is in the body shop
My impressions
I like the exterior styling
The interior is like a space ship-more buttons then I've ever seen
Seats are a little narrow but comfortable
Turbo 4 banger has some guts
Somewhat stiff ride and jittery over rough roads
Huge deep trunk
Steering is rubbery-i did not like it
Good brakes
Overall a pretty nice car except for the steering.
My wife still likes her 2010 Elantra better.
Thats good saves me money that she doesn't want a new Fusion.

I currently have one with 11k miles as a rental as well. I do not know if it is a 2014 or 2015 but it is the Titanium. My employer's fleet cars are Fusion hybrids (I don't have one but have driven one on a trip). I love these cars. I have no complaints about the steering, but have driven mostly flat and straight Minnesotan county roads and highways on this trip and flat and straight California freeways with the company car. Haven't hit any particularly rough roads so far either, so I have no complaints about the ride. Fuel economy has been decent: about 32 mpg with mostly 55 mph cruising. It could (and should) be better though, as I am sure I could get 28-29 mpg on the same trip with my 9 year old Grand Prix. The hybrid netted me something in the low 40s, which is pretty good considering that most of that trip was highway with little use of the battery drive.

I now seek out these cars when renting. I prefer them to higher tier Nissans and VWs, which seem to be abundant at rental car counters.

Originally Posted By: marine65

My wife still likes her 2010 Elantra better.
Thats good saves me money that she doesn't want a new Fusion.

She's a keeper for sure

Originally Posted By: ted s
I would walk before driving a hyndai

Sorry, but they have came a LONG way. I would purchase a Hyundai sedan over a GM unit any day. Not because I am biased, there quality and reliability has improved dramatically. Having said that, I would purchase a Japanese sedan over a Hyundai/Kia. Japanese>Korean>American *In most cases*

Edit: The above comment is directed toward long term reliability, as far as tech goes many domestics are ahead of the imports.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Sorry, but they have came a LONG way. I would purchase a Hyundai sedan over a GM unit any day. Not because I am biased, there quality and reliability has improved dramatically. Having said that, I would purchase a Japanese sedan over a Hyundai/Kia. Japanese>Korean>American *In most cases*

Edit: The above comment is directed toward long term reliability, as far as tech goes many domestics are ahead of the imports.

I was going to stay out of this, but since the bashing started I'll join in. I had an Elantra rental that was the worst car I've driven in a long time. It LOOKS nice, but touch anything on the interior and it is cheap hard plastic. It rides nice too. That's where the good ends...

No power, worst steering and feedback I have ever felt from a car. Brakes have poor feedback and feel. This is not a driver's car. I've owned many GM econoboxes and they drive a lot better than the test mule I had, and I never had any repairs on them.

If you're looking for a numb appliance, a Hyundai would work for you. They aren't bad cars, but since your threw the reliability component in it, is there really a difference? IMO, American = Japanese = Korean. Why not buy something that is entertaining to drive, has tech and won't put you to sleep on the way to work in the morning?

And if a boring numb drive is what you're after, fine I can respect that. But don't post saying a Hyundai is going to be more reliable than anything else. They're all the same.

Now if Ford would only start putting the Aisin transmissions back in the Fusion. That god-forsaken 6F35 is what kept me from getting a new one. Shame.

I had a loaded one for a day as a rental and disliked it. The rear window needs a wiper when it rains its on to much of an angle, its slow as can be, and the ford sync thing takes to long to figure out.

For the money I enjoyed the Buick Regal which I had before from Hertz far more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Now if Ford would only start putting the Aisin transmissions back in the Fusion. That god-forsaken 6F35 is what kept me from getting a new one. Shame.

If thats the same transmission thats in most Fusions then it was probably in the rental that I recently rode in. It was very jerky, not smooth at all.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I was going to stay out of this, but since the bashing started I'll join in. I had an Elantra rental that was the worst car I've driven in a long time. It LOOKS nice, but touch anything on the interior and it is cheap hard plastic. It rides nice too. That's where the good ends...

No power, worst steering and feedback I have ever felt from a car. Brakes have poor feedback and feel. This is not a driver's car. I've owned many GM econoboxes and they drive a lot better than the test mule I had, and I never had any repairs on them.

If you're looking for a numb appliance, a Hyundai would work for you. They aren't bad cars, but since your threw the reliability component in it, is there really a difference? IMO, American = Japanese = Korean. Why not buy something that is entertaining to drive, has tech and won't put you to sleep on the way to work in the morning?

And if a boring numb drive is what you're after, fine I can respect that. But don't post saying a Hyundai is going to be more reliable than anything else. They're all the same.

I agree I think all brands are pretty reliable nowadays. it's funny how many people bash GM on this site but I've owned 5 GM vehicles and they have all been great for me all around.

Originally Posted By: JHL88

I agree I think all brands are pretty reliable nowadays. it's funny how many people bash GM on this site but I've owned 5 GM vehicles and they have all been great for me all around.

Agreed. I've run every domestic brand truck and had a 99 firebird/6 speed as well as many mustangs and having beaten,abused,pounded and destroyed most every truck as well as my cars I can say honestly that domestic vehicles for the most part are just as reliable as rice.
Np arts wear out. Road conditions,maintenance practices and so many other variables come into play that for someone to imply that imports last longer or are built better is hogwash.
A vehicle is only going to perform as well as the maintenance is performed on it. If you never change the tranny fluid then there's a failure at 150000 miles it's not the equipments sub standard build quality,it's the owners sub-standard thought process.
Every domestic I've ever owned was thoroughly abused and yes when you work a truck had parts will fail however I never incurred a cost that I felt was in some way related to quality control or engineering faults.
In fact let's take a Honda for example. The demographic that buys hondas will for the most part service them according to the manual and as history tells us they "last forever"
Now is that because of build quality or is it because the owner typically maintains their vehicle properly.
Catch my drift.

American = Japanese = Korean

Really ???

I don't LIKE buying foreign cars... I've just seen people burned way too many times.

We turned in the Fusion and my wife misses nothing about it except the power of the turbo.
Too many buttons and options to deal with.Simple is better.
Her Elantra steers better,is quieter and rides smoother.
And it has much better visibility.You can see the road better.

That Hyundai definitely does NOT have superior steering at all. The Fusion is much better.

The Hyundai might have mushier handling because it was designed to have that quality, while the Ford, designed in Germany will be a more sporty ride and slightly stiffer, again designed in.

I'd take the current Fusion over the current
Elantra any day.

Most Korean cars aren't known for their steering and I would agree the Elantra is a bland driving experience for those that want something sportier. Having said that, I'd take a 2015 Sonata over a Fusion and that might be a more appropriate comparison. Still not a sporty / Euro tuned car but pretty dang nice for what it is and that would be especially true if the European sport sedan driving experience isn't that high on your wish list.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

That Hyundai definitely does NOT have superior steering at all. The Fusion is much better.

The Hyundai might have mushier handling because it was designed to have that quality, while the Ford, designed in Germany will be a more sporty ride and slightly stiffer, again designed in.

I'd take the current Fusion over the current
Elantra any day.

I guess it all comes down to what you like.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Really ???

I don't LIKE buying foreign cars... I've just seen people burned way too many times.

Same here. My aunt and uncles first car was a Honda. Then they strayed...Dodge, got rid of it before 60K miles it had so many problems. They own two Hondas again. Cousin, just had to say good bye to a Cavalier. Blown motor, less than 150K gently driven and oil changes were kept up on. They now drive a Toyota. Im not saying domestics cant make great cars, they absolutely can! Just in the grand scheme of things, the imports are the ones going to 300K and beyond and not nickel and dime-ing you all they way there.

Really ???

EVERY automatic Honda / Acura transmission we've owned since a 1985 Accord has failed over 100k.

I will never buy a Honda auto again

I've seen people burned by imports way too many times too...sounds like you have also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back