Honda Fit CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove a 2015 Fit with a CVT today. I was surprised at how good this version of a CVT is. I liked it better than an Audi I've driven on several long trips.

Now for a question. Surprise number two. Paddle shifters on a CVT? What's with this?

Well Honda wants to give the driver some sence of command of the CVT with some pre-programmed shift feel. With (the way I understand it) some "SHIFT" up & downness.
smile.gif

I've got a 2015 Fit EX w/CVT.

What's with the paddle shifters? Well, a trendy thing really...especially on such a diminutive little car. It adds a slight bit of control and sportiness to the CVT as a sort of appeasement to the shift minded.

You can either place the gear shift lever in "S" (sport mode) and then use the up/down paddles as you would a manual shift. You can get a bit more fun out of the car if that is what you are into. You can also use the paddles while in "D" mode. The CVT will take over if the paddles are left alone for a few seconds.

I honestly don't use the paddles. I prefer relaxing a bit and even have the car in "Eco" mode all the time.

So far...it's been a great commuter. Most trips to work I am averaging 38mpg. It's done as well as 42mpg on the commute so far. Mostly freeway with some stop and go w/hills.

I guess it's like programming "creep" in an electric car when you're at a stop. Making the transition to something new is getting some help just like having the paddles.

I've driven several cars with CVT's and this Fit is absolutely the best even without taking into consideration that it's a small engine that works hard for its living.

I would still worry about the long term life and cost of replacement some day down the road. My neighbor was told by the service manager of the Honda dealership to not even think about using any tranny oil besides the official Honda stuff.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My neighbor was told by the service manager of the Honda dealership to not even think about using any tranny oil besides the official Honda stuff.

I am shocked that a Honda service manager would say such a thing! Ask him for his opinion on independent shops too.

A good independent garage uses only OEM transmission fluid, to avoid possible problem with aftermarket fluid. They don't make good money in changing transmission fluid and paying for rebuild transmission is not what they want.

Originally Posted By: Burt
My neighbor was told by the service manager of the Honda dealership to not even think about using any tranny oil besides the official Honda stuff.

I am shocked that a Honda service manager would say such a thing! Ask him for his opinion on independent shops too.

My neighbor contacted Amsoil and they said the same thing, use the Honda stuff.

Drove a 2015 Fit with a CVT today. I was surprised at how good this version of a CVT is. I liked it better than an Audi I've driven on several long trips.

Now for a question. Surprise number two. Paddle snifters on a CVT? What's with this?

CVT's ARE GARBAGE!!! I cant stand them. If you love them, great. Having paddle shifters on a CVT just makes it seem like your shifting when your not. Stupid to even have on a CVT really does absolutely nothing.

Which Audi did you drive that you liked a CRV better? That made me laugh out of my chair right now, thank you for that, I needed a good laugh. haha.

Jeff

CVT's are garbage? I have had manuals, automatics and now a CVT. Seems there is a contingent of people that just hate the CVT's. I personally like it. I am somewhat concerned of it's durability but only because it is a new technology. CVT's are going to be very common in the next 5 years since they can save significant gas mileage.

The pre-programmed shifters are kind of a joke but overall, they keep the car in the swet spot for efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
About the paddle shifters, why not just an RPM lever. Let's you pick the RPM you want. Max HP, or engine braking, etc.

That's not a bad idea.

I like stick, but it's getting harder to buy one. And cvt is not going away. Being able to select a gear or hold an rpm will be nice in certain driving conditions.

Gee Jeff...why don't you tell us what you really think?...I have a CVT in my car and despite my concerns about long time reliability, I've put 65,000 miles on the car and have had no problems with it. Mileage and mid-range power considering the size of the engine are excellent.

yeah, I agree. I love the CVT. Didn't think I would until I drove a car with one. Incredible gas mileage for the size of the car and motor. Considering every car maker is fighting for more mpg, the alternative would be either hybreds (expensive) or turbo-chargers on very small displacement motors (questionable durability). Longevity is really the issue with CVT's and we won't know for some time how they will do but they are NOT anything new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Now for a question. Surprise number two. Paddle snifters on a CVT? What's with this?

CVT's ARE GARBAGE!!! I cant stand them. If you love them, great. Having paddle shifters on a CVT just makes it seem like your shifting when your not. Stupid to even have on a CVT really does absolutely nothing.

Which Audi did you drive that you liked a CRV better? That made me laugh out of my chair right now, thank you for that, I needed a good laugh. haha.

Jeff

I love comments like this. Honda has their cvts well sorted. I own one and like it a lot. Drove a rental Altima recently and hated that cvt. just my two cents. Honestly, my honda cvt has fewer quirks than the three vw dsg transmissions I owned. To each their own.

My understanding is that the shift points cause additional wear on the CVT but most people are used to the shifting sensation to the point of having trouble adjusting to the lack of shifts. Especially now that we often see 8 and 9 speed automatics. CVT belts generally need replaced around 100,000 miles and are a bit costly to do.

Coming from a 5-speed Subaru, I like the CVT in my new Accord Sport just fine. It does exactly what it's supposed to do when I leave it alone and it also allows me to have some control when I want/need it.

I'm not sure why there's so much CVT hate in general but more than likely its due to ignorance rather than actual experience.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Having paddle shifters on a CVT just makes it seem like your shifting when your not. Stupid to even have on a CVT really does absolutely nothing.

Wow, thank you for the heads up! You better go tell all the car makers that you're on to their ruse and you demand they put an end to their CVT shenanigans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back