Is All Dexron VI the Same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
I don't know if this question has been answered here before, I have looked, and it doesn't seem to have been.

Is all licensed Dexron VI the same by definition? For example, the AC Delco product does not say synthetic, Summit even classifies it as mineral. The Havoline product says synthetic all over it.

Does it have to be synthetic, at least partially, to meet Dex VI specifications?

Thanks

No, it isn't.

ACD is a syn blend, and the cheaper licensed products are probably blends, too (think store brands).

Some are full synthetic, though.

The base stocks are not limited as long as the finished lubricant uses a specifically approved additive package. The finished lubricant can therefore be either a synthetic or a mineral blend. Bear in mind that in North America a Group III stock can legally be described as synthetic, which is very confusing. As far as the DEXRON-VI fluid is concerned the complete formulation has to be declared to GM in the approval application and no change is allowed from there on. The DEXRON-VI specification is so tight that there is really no discernible difference between licenced products. Does that answer your question?

Originally Posted By: splinter
Probably not the same per se but if the Dexron-VI ATF you’re contemplating contains the designated and mandatory ‘proprietary’ additive package,
maintains specified kinematic viscosities/properties, and its blender has paid the ante for appropriate licensing it’s okay to pour into my late model automatic GM gearboxes.
ymmv

background:
www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/techlink_May_09.pdf
&
current approvals:
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/vehicleengines/DEXRON-VI.aspx

FYI. Licencing fees were abolished in 2005 when DEXRON-VI was released.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
FYI. Licencing fees were abolished in 2005 when DEXRON-VI was released.

Touché! Got those pesky Dexos and Dexron licensing fees mixed up.
smile.gif

Could be the bottle has not been updated since the spec has changed? Original Dex VI was GMN10060, current spec is GMW16444. Not sure the major differences but they did change the spec enough to give it a new number.

I think what everybody wants to know is: is their any dexron VI with group II base oil????

In the past I have heard that all dexron VI is group III base oil?

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
I think what everybody wants to know is: is their any dexron VI with group II base oil????

I think that, at least for the most part, Group III or Group IV is needed in order to meet the specification requirements.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Probably not the same per se but if the Dexron-VI ATF you’re contemplating contains the designated and mandatory ‘proprietary’ additive package,
maintains specified kinematic viscosities/properties, and its blender has paid the ante for appropriate licensing it’s okay to pour into my late model automatic GM gearboxes.
ymmv

background:
www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/techlink_May_09.pdf
&
current approvals:
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/vehicleengines/DEXRON-VI.aspx

The base stocks are not limited as long as the finished lubricant uses a specifically approved additive package. The finished lubricant can therefore be either a synthetic or a mineral blend. Bear in mind that in North America a Group III stock can legally be described as synthetic, which is very confusing. As far as the DEXRON-VI fluid is concerned the complete formulation has to be declared to GM in the approval application and no change is allowed from there on. The DEXRON-VI specification is so tight that there is really no discernible difference between licenced products. Does that answer your question?

Thanks, splinter, the sandyblogs link is the most informative article I've read on Dexron VI. The approval list has expanded since the last version I've read.

Yes Whitewolf, I think that does answer the question, thanks. You're saying it may or may not be "true" synthetic, but it doesn't really matter.

Jimzz, the AC Delco gallon jugs I have are dated 9-14, some I have used already were dated 6-14.

I think the term "synthetic" is just used for marketing, so the Havoline product would appeal to people, the AC Delco product isn't trying to impress anyone, it is the manufacturer's own product.

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate the input!!

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

I think that, at least for the most part, Group III or Group IV is needed in order to meet the specification requirements.

I have to agree with Whitewolf. In my opinion, any Dexron VI, by definition, has to be somewhat synthetic to meet the licensing requirements.

That being said, it is OK to shop for price, as long as there is a license number on the product. For example, the AC Delco product that is currently $23.44 for a gallon container at Amazon ($5.86 per quart) (the exact same item with a GM part number is $34.69), is just as good as the Havoline which is currently $46.99 for a case of 12 quarts ($3.92 per quart) at Amazon. Both of these items are licensed Dexron VI products.

I think when Dexron-VI came out it was stated that while GM didn't spec the base oil, at least a syn blend or better was needed to meet the spec. A top quality full syn D-VI might give longer service life or be better in frigid temps than a syn-blend base, even tho both meet minimum spec.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
I think when Dexron-VI came out it was stated that while GM didn't spec the base oil, at least a syn blend or better was needed to meet the spec. A top quality full syn D-VI might give longer service life or be better in frigid temps than a syn-blend base, even tho both meet minimum spec.

Well therein lies the question: Would "exceeding" the spec actually be "out of spec"? It was stated earlier that the license requirement is so tight, all products are virtually identical.

For example, the fluid is spec'd to have a certain friction modifier to allow the clutch packs to lock fast or slow, depending on how the manufacturer designed the machine. I would think "exceeding" this spec would cause a condition not wanted by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back