Did I fix alternator by washing the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Alternators don't have commutators that make contact with the brushes, which are contacts with gaps to change polarity when rotating in DC generators or motors. Commutators are prone to fast wear. They have slip rings instead that make contact with the brushes. So, the terminology in that blog is wrong.

Thanks for the clarification.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

If the charge light was off, the alternator was probably OK. Perhaps it was dirty battery terminal or battery wire (negative or positive) or loose wire or terminal. It could be a loose or dirty alternator wire as well. Perhaps the latter is more likely since the car was cranking OK.

It's my understanding that alternators can fail without battery light on. I actually had that happen in my old Nissan once. The voltage at battery was 12V with engine running and new battery was discharged a lot by the time I brought the car home, so alternator was not OK.

All the battery/alternator connections were good and tight. This is a florida car with no rust.

I'll take that alternator apart when I replace it. I'm waiting for the new one to arrive.

Yes, I concur. The charge light being off makes me think that there was a loose connection somewhere. I'd look first at the plug on the alternator- sometimes the little female pins will get loose and not make proper contact.
Old heat baked wire can get stiff in cold weather after the chemicals added to the plastic insulation to make it flexible have baked out and caused the wires to become less flexible. That can put a strain on the connector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back